"Little Egypt" a fake character

Dev

Hello Everybody

Do you think Little Egypt is just a made up thing ? That world fair and all those belly dancing gossips are just fictitious. (I mean the belly dancing bit). Yesterday I read an article by Jamila Salimpour and she wrote in the article “

Sol Bloom stated that there was no performer called "Little Egypt" at the Chicago World's Fair. Although there were dancers from Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, and Persia, his favourite dancers were the Ouled Nail from Algeria.”

According to Shiras website" Little Egypt "
Fahreda Mahzar became very famous in the United States as "Little Egypt". Tahia Carioca was a famous Egyptian dancer during the 1940's, continuing through the 1960's. El Mahdeyya was a well-known dancer in Egypt during the early 1900's. Armen Ohanian was an Armenian dancer who moved to Paris and became famous during the 1920's.”

And according to Wikipedia

“Little Egypt was the stage name for two popular exotic dancers, Ashea Wabe who danced at the Seeley banquet at the 1893 World's Fair and Farida Mazar Spyropoulos, also performing under the stage name Fatima, appeared at the "Street in Cairo" exhibition on the Midway at the World's Columbian Exposition, held in Chicago in 1893.”

Do you have any more knowledge regarding This mysterious "Little Egypt"

Kind Reards

Hi Dipali, "Looking For Little Egypt" is a book written by Donna Carlton(whom I've had the pleasure to meet:) ). In this book Donna does a very good job in researching and exploring the presence and character of a Little Egypt.
according to her book, Litttle Egypt DID not perform at the Chicago's World Fair in 1893, however, there were many women who assumed this name and danced a facsimile of Middle Eastern dance. Ashea Wabe is a name listed in her book using that name. I would say that the character of Little Egypt epitomizes the ideal mystery woman that American bellydancers like to romaniticize.
Yasmine

Dev

Thank You very much Yasmine, i have googled Donna Carlton, and going throgh all the links now.....

Kind Regards