Court Ruling: Fairuz Forbidden to Sing

HubicRuzz

I was made aware of this recently.

Meedan | Court Ruling: Fairuz Forbidden to Sing

After pursuing their case in the courts for years, the heirs of the late Lebanese musician Mansour Rahbani have managed to obtain a court order prohibiting Fairuz from performing any of the songs from the approximately twenty-five musicals co-written by Rahbani.

Mansour Rahbani had composed (along with his brother Assi – the singer’s husband) most of Fairuz’s works, at the top of which are the musicals Did You Sleep Well?; Loulou; Season of Glory; and Long Live, Long Live.

The court’s decision has provoked the ire of the singer’s fans across the Arab world, thousands of whom have decided to stage a peaceful march on the 25th of July to express their rage at this attempt to silence Fairuz’s voice.

Farasha Hanem

I was made aware of this recently.

Meedan | Court Ruling: Fairuz Forbidden to Sing

After pursuing their case in the courts for years, the heirs of the late Lebanese musician Mansour Rahbani have managed to obtain a court order prohibiting Fairuz from performing any of the songs from the approximately twenty-five musicals co-written by Rahbani.

Mansour Rahbani had composed (along with his brother Assi – the singer’s husband) most of Fairuz’s works, at the top of which are the musicals Did You Sleep Well?; Loulou; Season of Glory; and Long Live, Long Live.

The court’s decision has provoked the ire of the singer’s fans across the Arab world, thousands of whom have decided to stage a peaceful march on the 25th of July to express their rage at this attempt to silence Fairuz’s voice.

Why would they do such a thing? I don't understand. :(

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Force her to pay royalties I bet, the court ruling is crazy when they wrote the songs for her and she has been singing them for ages. Does that mean any CDs with those songs on sale have to be withdrawn from sale? Seems like a very big legal mess to me.
~Mosaic

Yshka

This is so sad, why on earth?? I'm hopinh this will be turned around when enough people protest, it is too sad for words :(

Duvet

Has there been any update on this story? Does Fairouz still sing those songs?

I've loved "Shat Iskandaria" since I first heard it years ago. But only found out today what the lyrics meant! Any ideas if there is a story behind the song.