What can you tell me about Mkhtarat Wahab?

PracticalDancer

All,

I have been listening to the CD "Golden Era of Bellydance - Vol 1" and have fallen in love with the song "Mkhtarat Wahab." (Sound clip at link.) But, I can't find out anything about it, such as whether that is the correct title, who was the composer, the vintage, etc. What can you tell me?

Thanks,

Anala

Greek Bonfire

Unfortunately, all I can suggest is to try googling it. Or check out Shira's website - she might have something on it.

PracticalDancer

Tried both and failed. :( And, that is what makes me wonder if there is a transliteration or naming issue on the song. All the searches point to versions of this cd for sale.

gisela

Super Moderator
It sounds very much like the song I know as "Raqset Kahramana" by Farid al Atrache. At least from what I can hear on the short sound clip.
Compare with this:

gisela

Super Moderator
Weeeee, glad I could help! That song is beautiful! Do you recommend the cd?

here's the scene from Afrita Hanem where Samia dances to it.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

I think you and I were watching the clip at the same time. :D Not sure what happened with your embed, so I will pass along that the song is from the movie "Afrita Hanem" ("Little Miss Devil"), 1949. see YouTube - Samia Gamal "Tableau"

Yes! I do recommend the CD. It has some nice versions of the classics and is a good quality recording -- "bumpy" enough to sound vintage, but clear and not muddy. And, Volume 2 will be on Amazon (US, at least) on 8/10/10. Guess who is queuing up for that one. ;)

ETA: embed fixed -- you are fast today!

SeeJaneDance

Hi, ladies! Sorry to necro-post, but I have a question. I'm doing a solo to this song, and I need to know how to pronounce it! And the movie name. I've been saying "Muhk-tar-aht Wuh-hab" with soft, long a's. Am I close?

Shanazel

I'll necropost, too, though I can't answer your question. I just ordered both golden era CDs last night so the revitalization of this thread is an interesting coincidence.:)

Darshiva

Hi, ladies! Sorry to necro-post, but I have a question. I'm doing a solo to this song, and I need to know how to pronounce it! And the movie name. I've been saying "Muhk-tar-aht Wuh-hab" with soft, long a's. Am I close?

The only thing I have retained from my arabic audio tapes in terms of phoenetics is that the h is always pronounced so it might be more like "Muk-h-ta-rat Wa-hab", but don't rely on my analysis.

PAGING KASHMIR (or Leyla Lanty) TO THIS THREAD!

Shanazel

I wasn't familiar with the expression either but I love it. Imagine the variations: necrocostume (wearing that thing from the eighties), necromusic (stuff that you'd forgotten you bought and wish you hadn't bought in the first place).

SeeJaneDance

Ooh, Shanazel, have you listened to the second one, yet? I'm thinking about asking my in-laws to get it for me for Christmas.

And thanks all! I'm still trying to find the information I need, but I'm getting closer!