Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What Style Am I?

Something I've been wondering about for awhile. I'm self-taught from the show Shimmy on fit tv, and tutorial videos on youtube. I don't really know what style I am, so if anyone thinks they know, I'd love to hear it.

Oh snap. Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Could a nice mod please move it for me.
    Last edited by LunaXJJ; 07-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Luna!
    It would be a lot easier if you had some video's to show us!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would, but I'm very insecure, and very bad at belly dancing as of now. Maybe if I got better, and lost a few pounds first.

Thank you to whomever moved the thread for me.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 07-28-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Luna, For many it takes a while before your style gets clarified. The style depends on what expression you have and how you execute the moves, which moves you choose to use, what kind of music you choose to dance to, what kind of costume etc, It is difficult to spot a cetain cultural expression if the dancer still is struggeling to execute the moves etc. This is just my experience although if you have a teacher who is very specialized in say, egyptian or turkish, naturally you would pick that up in your own expression. IMO it is completely fine for newer dancers to not have a particular style.

btw I moved it, you are welcome
    Perhaps I should have put it in dance styles, but since it is a student question rather than a discussion of styles I put it here. Hope it is ok with you?

Post Thanks / Like

Really, you probably don't have a real "style" as of yet. My guess is that Shimmy probably uses a very Americanized jazz version of cabaret style. But I've only seen it once or twice, so I could be wrong. Look up Jenna and Jillina and see if their styles are in line with what you're doing.

Then keep looking! Look at Egyptian, at AmCab, at Turkish, at Sha'abi. Find what pleases and suits you and study it. Watch a LOT of performances--YouTube is a trove of videos. And if at all possible, attend classes and workshops to get feedback on what you're doing. What you think you're doing and what you're actually doing are sometimes very different things. A teacher can give you corrections, advice, and keep you from developing habits that will be very hard to break on down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Jinx, Gisela!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Jinx, Gisela!
    hehe, yup

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gisela, and yeah this is an ok spot for it.

I know its not Egyptian from what I've heard about it from here. I'll look up the others to see if they're similar.

Post Thanks / Like

The Shimmy TV series is pretty much American Cabaret style (even though the dancers are Canadian.) I think if you check out Delilah of Seattle, you'll find that she HAD to have shared teachers with these ladies. Even the movement descriptions are the same as what Delilah uses.

Luna, are you in NY city? If so, I would heartily recommend finding a live teacher. While Shimmy is a good PRACTICE program, it won't give you the technical background needed to actually build your technique. You need a live teacher to correct alignment issues and make sure you are doing the movements with correct form.

There is often SOOOO much wrong with the so-called "instructional" videos on Youtube that I don't even know where to begin to comment. Since anybody with a web cam and a coin scarf can put up an "expert" video on Youtube, I wouldn't really spend a lot of time with those until you have enough experience to sort out the experienced and knowledgeable instructors from the enthusiastic beginners.

A dancer's "Style" comes from several things:
    1. How she interprets the music
    2. The music she chooses to dance to.
    3. How she achieves a movement (which muscles she activates to get the movement to happen)
    4. How she uses her breath and energy inside the movements to help illustrate the music.
    and other things I can't think of at the moment.

Number 2 (the music) is often a beginner's first introduction to her teacher's Style. Number 3 (the technique) is the next thing, and it's the one that will change a lot if you switch around to different teachers.

My advice is to watch a lot of dancers and listen to a lot of music. Find the music that really moves you, and makes YOU want to move. Find dancers you want to emulate. Once you can tell us something like "I love the Wash Ya Wash CDs and I love watching Virginia dance" -- then we can point you to that Style and to instructors who teach that style.

(Being in NY, you have access to SOOOOO many EXCELLENT instructors that it makes me jealous. Don't waste your time and energy trying to teach yourself. Get out and get thee a teacher!! lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I actually live in a more rural area of upstate NY.
    I would get a teacher, but my anxiety is awful. Having a teacher would be hard enough, let alone a bunch of other students. Plus I'm broke. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast