Post Thanks / Like

Default I guess I should have done this...

I joined the forum over a year ago because I was researching getting my first professionally made custom costume and I was seeking advice. I made one post and then never returned. Earlier this week I was researching the names of beats and rhythms and how to distinguish them (provoked by my instructor asking the class what something was and all of us pulling the duh face) and it lead me to an article that is posted on this forum, and I thought, 'Oh, there's that forum I joined a while back,' so I started browsing a bit made a comment or two and decided I might be a more active member rather than a spectator member.

To be warned I tend to ramble and I am a horrible speller. I am 27 years old and I have been dancing for nearly three years. I started off in Shreveport in 2007 doing American-style tribal. After about a year I started taking classes from a second instructor learning Folkloric Egyption. I finished my degree in August 2008 and moved back home. I did a lot of reasearch and contacted an instructor in the area. I anticipated starting up in September, but due to the financial stress of post-studential life, I wasn't able to start dancing again until March of 2009.

Now my focus is primarily on Egyptian Cabaret fusion, mostly because I was more drawn to the costume style and dancing solo in resturant venues. Its been a bit of a challenging transition for me and my health took me back down to a beginner level and the beginning of this year. There's also the fact that I am a total tomboy and am lacking in the graceful dept., but I know I am my own worse critic. But things are starting to look up and I am looking forward to getting my full health back and cracking down on the things I need to perfect in order to make the leap from Intermediate to Advanced (ie the resturant performance rotation schedule). My favorite thing about dancing is being able to convey a story from the music through the body. I would love to one day be able to effect even one person with my story the same way that I was when I first witnessed a live performance.

Outside of dance, I'm a uber nerd. I have two BS degrees and am currently taking prereqs to go back into school full time. I also plan to get my PhD and teach some college Anatomy and/or Embryology courses (20 year goal). I believe that science reflects art and art is and expression of science, so as a bellydancing biologist, I try to achieve equalibrium of my own body and mind.

Hugs and Shimmies

Kana

Post Thanks / Like

Kana, So glad you found us again and have decided to join in You sure sound like you have a full and interesting life. As for rambling, your introduction was an enjoyable ramble By the way there have been times where I have been known to ramble as well
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!! Hmm..Thinks I'm going to have to get me some of those great gif mosaic uses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I work in the field of law at my day job so this forum is a great outlet for me as well.