Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So in real life...

...how do you react to people who say they've learned from YouTube?

It's easy to talk when you're on the internet, safe in your room where the other poster may be millions of miles away...but I ran into two girls today at my studio and they announced that they were "YouTube Students" and I also heard from my teacher that they showed up at the studio wanting teaching positions...

So how do you react to something like that politely while educating the person as well? I was pretty dumbstruck and couldn't say anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think you would have to pick my jaw up off the floor for starters, if they asked for teaching positions - after that pass the smelling salts please.

Maybe put on some music and get them to dance to see how good/bad they are? I think I would also explain (politely) the many reasons why youtube based learning isn't such a good idea and even suggest they come along to class for a few lessons. I hope I am never in that position
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    At first I'd be sceptical, which I'll also be when I meet people claiming to be self-taught and on a high level. (It is nothing wrong by being self-taught; Some may learn well from both youtube vids and DVDs without interacting with a teacher, but you probably belongs to a tiny, tiny minority if you actually are a good dancer whose main input have been YT videos. )
    The reason I'd be sceptical about their qualities is because I've already met too many "self-taught wonders" claiming to be bellydancers (applying for restaurant gigs etc), lacking both technique, knowledge and dance skills.

Secondly, I'd start mapping their knowledge by questioning them rather innocent questions (favourite styles and dancers etc), then more intricate questions concerning bd in a cultural context etc. If they have been serious in their research, it could be an interesting conversation. If not - well, I'd probably be even more sceptical.

Thirdly, I'd wait to make up my mind about their dancing qualities untill I've actually seen it myself (preferably in a non-harmful environment). "Well, why don't you show me some moves?" works well to determine some of their technical abilities as well..
    Last edited by Daimona; 08-01-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique wise if you're talking about isolating while remaining stationary, they've got it down...piston hips down, stomach rolls, chest lifts...I snuck a peek at them when they were doing moves at a mirror. But combining them fluidly and feeling the music and understanding it? I don't know.

They were there for our intermediate ATS class and they had no idea how to do cues or transitions. Which completely baffled me...they probably though we were doing Tribal Fusion or they didn't know what ATS was or they thought it was just another "Tribal Fusion" style. They'll be joining us for our regular technique and combination Egyptian-rooted style tomorrow...we'll see. I'll ask them about some of their favorite stars.

And yes, please pass the smelling salts plz!

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to talk when you're on the internet, safe in your room where the other poster may be millions of miles away...but I ran into two girls today at my studio and they announced that they were "YouTube Students" and I also heard from my teacher that they showed up at the studio wanting teaching positions...

So how do you react to something like that politely while educating the person as well? I was pretty dumbstruck and couldn't say anything.
    I would probably tell them that I personally learned more studying from a live teacher than I learned from YouTube, but different people come to the dance in different ways. If appropriate, I might express interest in seeing them dance, or ask what style they dance.

Post Thanks / Like

What you won't get from Youtube is any sense of cultural and musical understanding. I can't imagine someone teaching without this information. <shudder>

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad I'm not a teacher and don't have to do any more than make "oh that's interesting" noises. If pushed, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by da Sage
    I would probably tell them that I personally learned more studying from a live teacher than I learned from YouTube, but different people come to the dance in different ways. If appropriate, I might express interest in seeing them dance, or ask what style they dance.
    I expect it's really easy to miss the whole cues/improvisation aspect of ATS unless you've done your research or come across a particularly good instructional clip on YT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I am so glad I'm not a teacher and don't have to do any more than make "oh that's interesting" noises. If pushed, this:

I expect it's really easy to miss the whole cues/improvisation aspect of ATS unless you've done your research or come across a particularly good instructional clip on YT.
    Exactly...they were all over the place...

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly...they were all over the place...
    Obviously these women were deluded to think that an intermediate ATS class was appropriate for them. I've been doing ITS for a couple of years, and I know enough to know that you start at the beginning (ie, beginner level classes) in any new format.

Post Thanks / Like

Technique wise if you're talking about isolating while remaining stationary, they've got it down...piston hips down, stomach rolls, chest lifts...I snuck a peek at them when they were doing moves at a mirror. But combining them fluidly and feeling the music and understanding it? I don't know.
    And this is exactly one thing that a (good) live teacher gives you - an understanding of what belly dance is ie not just a series of isolations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast