Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walladah View Post
    "bad" students, please!
    Shanazel's definition:

Students who never listen, never follow instructions, distract other students with aimless chatter, who do their own things instead of joining in class activities, who don't like middle eastern music and wonder why we can't dance to (fill in the blank), who don't practice, who ignore corrections and suggestions, and who despite all this want to perform with the group simply because they paid for the class.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Shanazel's definition:

Students who never listen, never follow instructions, distract other students with aimless chatter, who do their own things instead of joining in class activities, who don't like middle eastern music and wonder why we can't dance to (fill in the blank), who don't practice, who ignore corrections and suggestions, and who despite all this want to perform with the group simply because they paid for the class.
    Amen!! Very well said
    And I'd like to add those who want instant results while still doing all of the above. And finally those who don't understand that learning to dance isn't simply learning movements, it is learning when/where to use and apply them.

I have to say though that I have been very fortunate and that 99% of my students have been absolutely lovely women Pleasures to have in class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Only concern if a teacher does NOT have GOOD students... LOL

Too many only teach beginner classes.... I wonder why... Tragically many of those i met are just about intermediate themselves!
    In some instances, yes. And sad to say, one of them I knew in a past life wasn't really interested in bringing students up to being real dancers. The students were eager but this teacher didn't want to exert the effort. That was such a disappointment to us too.

Post Thanks / Like

Big difference between "bad student" and "bad dancer".

It is a truth that some people have more innate talent for different skills than others. Some people simply do not have a talent for belly dance. This does not mean they can't have fun with it Some students have talent that never gets properly developed due to circumstance, poor teaching, and/or lack of dedication. The teacher is only a part of a student's success or failure.

I've never agreed with the statement that "anyone can belly dance." It's misleading. Yes, anyone can belly dance, but not everyone has the capability to be a paid professional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12