Even great teachers have bad students! Or do they?

da Sage

Even great teachers have bad students! True or false?

In another thread, we are talking about some dancers who learned from YouTube. Aside from their poor judgment in starting out with an intermediate ATS course and asking to be hired on as teachers...it sounds like they have decent technical skill. Which is great, and shows that it is indeed possible to learn dance from YouTube.

I've mostly learned from live teachers, some of the best in the area. Yet, I am not a great dancer. I was working hard to be just OK before I had to cut back on classes, and today my dance skills are very rough and rusty.

I would hate to tell people who my teachers were now, if they didn't have experience with other students of those teachers. Because I feel my level of dance does not properly represent my teachers' levels of skill in either dancing or teaching.:(

So please realize...if a dancer is lacking in some area, it's not necessarily her teacher's fault.;) Don't rush to judge!

da Sage

By the way, if anyone knows a teacher who has no mediocre students, let me know! Maybe I will travel to study with them!:lol:

lizaj

Every teacher will have the student who just "doesn't hear the music" and therefore is never gonna make it. She doesn't however ban her because she's loyal and getting something from the class and how does she tell her not to perform. We are not talking troupe work here. I dance with groups at the oment..people who are keen and all I hope to be able work on strengths. Even the best dancers and teachers have their weaknesses, their pet hates. Your body type can also dictate what you look like. With one exception my students/dance mates are all older and some bigger and therefore non-commercial but she still all want to do it properly.

Aniseteph

True. Unless you only get into their classes by audition and interview and in-depth psychological assessment, then get weeded out when you fail to cut it. :shok: ;)

But IMO the bad student is the 6 week wonder who goes out and inflicts her clueless self on the GP or teaches (despite great teacher trying to stop her), or the disruptive diva bitching her way round the community, not the student who doesn't have talent or time to work it but still comes to classes and supports haflas for the love of it. She is not a bad student however she dances, she's still a credit to her teacher IMO. It's about more than how you dance.

Personally I only start wondering about a teacher I've not seen when I see lots of really bad stuff happening with their name on it, not just the odd WTF or meh performance from a student.

lizaj

True. Unless you only get into their classes by audition and interview and in-depth psychological assessment, then get weeded out when you fail to cut it. :shok: ;)

But IMO the bad student is the 6 week wonder who goes out and inflicts her clueless self on the GP or teaches (despite great teacher trying to stop her), or the disruptive diva bitching her way round the community, not the student who doesn't have talent or time to work it but still comes to classes and supports haflas for the love of it. She is not a bad student however she dances, she's still a credit to her teacher IMO. It's about more than how you dance.

Personally I only start wondering about a teacher I've not seen when I see lots of really bad stuff happening with their name on it, not just the odd WTF or meh performance from a student.

You can be a good student and a bad performer/dancer..sadly.:(

nightdancer

Liza,

Tried to rep you but couldnt.

A long time ago, in a class far, far away, there was a student that simply couldnt hear it, couldnt feel it, couldnt follow instructions and frankly, I hated to watch. She drove the rest of us crazy, and I once declined a group number (which we did have the option to do) simply because it placed me behind her and I couldnt stand to watch her.

However, she came to class faithfully, did not pursue props and beautiful costumes in lieu of talent nor did she walk around proclaiming that she was a bellydancer. She came to class because it was an hour away from her husband and kids (she had like 7, I swear) and made her feel good about herself. She was a terrible dancer, but she was a good student.

Greek Bonfire

Just like bad teachers, there are bad students. Human nature is the same everywhere. Thank God they are in the minority!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Heck yes it's true. I'm a perfect example.

I have studied watercolor painting with a couple of the finest painters currently teaching. I've had TOP QUALITY teaching that other students might be seriously jealous of. I still am a lousy watercolor painter because I don't practice.

Let's face it -- we teachers can't MAKE our students practice. My day is too short to do everything I want to do, everything I need to do at home, practice dancing and cymbals and music AND practice a watercolor sketch every day!

My focus is dance. I practice dance sometimes to the exclusion of all else. Other people have family as their focus. Or their church or their job. I don't assume that my students all have dance as their focus. Some of them don't really care if they do it "right" -- they just want some girl time outside of the house. I respect their right to not take it as seriously as I do. :)

The ones who don't practice though, don't perform outside of student recitals. Just like I'll never have a watercolor in gallery show or exhibition if I don't practice.

I don't call myself a bad painter. Not really. :) I'm just not a good one. I don't have bad students, just some who are good performers and some who MIGHT be good performers when they're ready to take it to the next level :)

Reen.Blom

Only concern if a teacher does NOT have GOOD students... LOL

Too many only teach beginner classes.... I wonder why...:think: Tragically many of those i met are just about intermediate themselves!:confused:

Shanazel

"bad" students, please!

Shanazel's definition:

Students who never listen, never follow instructions, distract other students with aimless chatter, who do their own things instead of joining in class activities, who don't like middle eastern music and wonder why we can't dance to (fill in the blank), who don't practice, who ignore corrections and suggestions, and who despite all this want to perform with the group simply because they paid for the class.

MissVega

Shanazel's definition:

Students who never listen, never follow instructions, distract other students with aimless chatter, who do their own things instead of joining in class activities, who don't like middle eastern music and wonder why we can't dance to (fill in the blank), who don't practice, who ignore corrections and suggestions, and who despite all this want to perform with the group simply because they paid for the class.

Amen!! Very well said:clap:
And I'd like to add those who want instant results while still doing all of the above. And finally those who don't understand that learning to dance isn't simply learning movements, it is learning when/where to use and apply them.

I have to say though that I have been very fortunate and that 99% of my students have been absolutely lovely women:D Pleasures to have in class.

Greek Bonfire

Only concern if a teacher does NOT have GOOD students... LOL

Too many only teach beginner classes.... I wonder why...:think: Tragically many of those i met are just about intermediate themselves!:confused:

In some instances, yes. And sad to say, one of them I knew in a past life wasn't really interested in bringing students up to being real dancers. The students were eager but this teacher didn't want to exert the effort. That was such a disappointment to us too.:(

Jane

Big difference between "bad student" and "bad dancer".

It is a truth that some people have more innate talent for different skills than others. Some people simply do not have a talent for belly dance. This does not mean they can't have fun with it :) Some students have talent that never gets properly developed due to circumstance, poor teaching, and/or lack of dedication. The teacher is only a part of a student's success or failure.

I've never agreed with the statement that "anyone can belly dance." It's misleading. Yes, anyone can belly dance, but not everyone has the capability to be a paid professional.