Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, Anala. Those were all things I was thinking, too. I tried to rep you, but couldn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Samira made a good point about others' jealousy. I can guarantee that if jealousy was avoided this time, it very well will arise again. Not to be a wet blanket, but you will have to anticipate some jealousy. And if your teacher really does think you are that good, then you have to decide whether you really want to pursue dancing or always be in a situation where you are more concerned about what others think.

It's not nice either way but if you want to be a real dancer, others' jealousies will have to be their problems and not yours. It's an ugly side of this but it won't be the first time you will be confronted with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

I've just read through this thread and I have to say how impressed I am with all the various comments. What shines through is compassion and wisdom. Due to my lack of experience, I would never have imagined all the things going on in the teacher's mind during the planning of choreography. Thank you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Za Linda View Post
    I've just read through this thread and I have to say how impressed I am with all the various comments. What shines through is compassion and wisdom. Due to my lack of experience, I would never have imagined all the things going on in the teacher's mind during the planning of choreography. Thank you all.
    And another thought -- we are dancers, not mind readers, so there could easily be other thoughts at play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Samira made a good point about others' jealousy. I can guarantee that if jealousy was avoided this time, it very well will arise again.
    Bonfire, I think perhaps I did not manage to express myself clearly in my earlier post… My point was that this level of jealousy is not normal in a dance group.

What I was actually trying to say was that there is something very wrong with the culture (or unspoken rules) of a group that organizes itself around a pecking order according to dance skill.

But I think that Bast answered her own question, when she said it was all in her head after all

Post Thanks / Like

My group is really tight-knit, though. I cant imagine any of us ever being jealous over placement. I dont know if it's confidence in our teacher's placement choices, or that we tend to gravitate to the places that we know we look and dance the best. I'm tall, so I'm always in the back, and tend to be on the right-hand side of the audience. There is only one exception, that I start in the front because then I end up in the back after 24 counts, where I stay for the rest of the song.

Though I do have to add that we are also good enough friends that if one of us was "intruding", we'd just say "Hey, jerkface...I love you. Get out of my space--and here, eat this cookie."
    Last edited by nightdancer; 08-06-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samira bint Aya View Post
    Bonfire, I think perhaps I did not manage to express myself clearly in my earlier post… My point was that this level of jealousy is not normal in a dance group.

What I was actually trying to say was that there is something very wrong with the culture (or unspoken rules) of a group that organizes itself around a pecking order according to dance skill.

But I think that Bast answered her own question, when she said it was all in her head after all
    I'm glad it turned out this way in the end. But you are right - this level of jealousy is not normal but unfortunately it does exist in places. Silly, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Bast... Can you tell us whatever became of your situation. I would like to know how this worked out for you.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nwenna View Post
    Hey there Bast... Can you tell us whatever became of your situation. I would like to know how this worked out for you.

Thanks!
    It all went well.
    for the first performance the girl that I was worried about, the one who was sent back, was put in the front and my teacher did choose a couple of other girls to dance as well. We had a great night.
    I also ended up speaking to the girls at a private rehearsal we had as I had the feeling they were the sort of people you could just come out with stuff. Turns out it was the right decision.
    They had no issue with my placement, in fact some of the girls were happy to be at the back as it was less stress. They also said that sometimes the placement was determined by the overall look of the formation as well as knowing the dance. I was glad I mentioned it as it cleared the air and I do feel confident that they are genuine and there is no hidden agenda there.
    The second performance I freaked out a bit and turned the wrong way but there were no recriminations. My teacher said it was her mistake but I'm pretty sure it was me... anyway I made a thread about that one.
    They are a very relaxed group that just love to dance, very welcoming of new students and much fun to be with. I think I am very lucky to have found such a class and teacher

Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful Bast!
    It is good to hear that they are aware of "the bigger picture" in placements. It seems you have found a nice group to continue to evolve with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast