height of bellydancers

Farasha Hanem

I'm 5'6" and have been called tall but I really think I'm medium height. Not sure what that translates into meters.

Not sure, either, but it for sure translates into Much Taller Than Me. :confused: :(

It doesn't matter so much in my bellydancing, but when it comes to work, who do the customers get to get things off the top shelf? :rolleyes:

Greek Bonfire

Not sure, either, but it for sure translates into Much Taller Than Me. :confused: :(

It doesn't matter so much in my bellydancing, but when it comes to work, who do the customers get to get things off the top shelf? :rolleyes:

Honestly, most of the pros I know here are shorter than me. So they either like them more petite or they honestly like them for their dancing skills, which is pretty darn good!

Roshanna

6 foot :)
A couple of my troupemates are almost as tall, too. I do feel like a giraffe in classes sometimes, and I feel like it is harder to make hip movements look big in comparison to your body when you have a long torso. But height can also help you to look elegant and imposing, at least if you get into the habit of not hunching or looking down, which I still struggle with.

Greek Bonfire

6 foot :)
A couple of my troupemates are almost as tall, too. I do feel like a giraffe in classes sometimes, and I feel like it is harder to make hip movements look big in comparison to your body when you have a long torso. But height can also help you to look elegant and imposing, at least if you get into the habit of not hunching or looking down, which I still struggle with.

And you most likely can handle those lovely four yard veils ;)

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
6 foot tall male here - and I'm usually, but not always, the tallest dancer in a given group. One of my (female) instructors is taller than I am - and can do AMAZING Maias - and I also have another dance sister who tops me slightly. I'm long in the torso, and short in the legs for my size - which is a advantage in our dance form.

The one thing I've learned is that there's tall "girl" dance technique, and short "girl" dance technique (I quote "girl" because I'm not one!). If we tall ones try to keep up with the four foot nine whirlwinds, we usually end up flopping about and not exhibiting our strengths. I first learned this from a very experienced dancer who was - you guessed it - tall!

Shanazel

It makes for challenging choreography. My students range from almost five feet tall to an inch or two over six feet.

Yshka

1,54 meters here (5"1 if I'm correct) so to me everyone is tall :lol:.

Hajar, our Dutch scene has quite some tall dancers as well (shorties too haha). I think you will be fine. :D

Farasha Hanem

6 foot tall male here - and I'm usually, but not always, the tallest dancer in a given group. One of my (female) instructors is taller than I am - and can do AMAZING Maias - and I also have another dance sister who tops me slightly. I'm long in the torso, and short in the legs for my size - which is a advantage in our dance form.

The one thing I've learned is that there's tall "girl" dance technique, and short "girl" dance technique (I quote "girl" because I'm not one!). If we tall ones try to keep up with the four foot nine whirlwinds, we usually end up flopping about and not exhibiting our strengths. I first learned this from a very experienced dancer who was - you guessed it - tall!

It's funny you said four foot nine---that's how short I am! :dance:

Harry

It's funny you said four foot nine---that's how short I am! :dance:
I think practically everybody KNOWS what a whirlwind you are, Farasha. :D

But seriously, ladies and gentlemen (I saw you, Zorba), wouldn't you agree that it isn't how tall or short you are, but how well you can dance? ...And that would include using the moves that work best for you, wouldn't it?

LunaXJJ

5'9" myself. I love my height. :)

I agree that height doesn't make you a better, or worse dancer. Its interesting to share though.

Rue Sailmana

1,54 meters here (5"1 if I'm correct) so to me everyone is tall :lol:.

Hajar, our Dutch scene has quite some tall dancers as well (shorties too haha). I think you will be fine. :D

Yeah like me!

Being tall (and having quite big hips as it is in my case) does make it difficult to buy Bellydance clothing. They mostly seem to be made by and for smaller people.

So most of the time I have to recut bought clothing. I am no good in making a costume myself altogether.

Reen.Blom

Do I qualify as medium at almost 158cm? Arrrgh hated being shortie in school.... However I do feel taller now after reading this thread.... not quite hobbit size am i .... LOL

goddessyasaman

I'm not very tall,I like to say tall enough and thanks to my moms mexican blood :), I'm 5.7 but I have had students that were as tall as 6.5 so yes there are tall belly dancers.

Farasha Hanem

I'm not very tall,I like to say tall enough and thanks to my moms mexican blood :), I'm 5.7 but I have had students that were as tall as 6.5 so yes there are tall belly dancers.

oO;; *stands next to you, looks up, and gulps* :shok:

Yeah, my mom is Mexican, too. She's four feet ten. OH, WAIT, TEN AND A HALF, TEN AND A HALF! :shok: Mom would kill me if she ever knew I forgot about that extra half---sorry, Mom! :redface:

:rolleyes::lol: