Hello from the land of Mists and Legend.

earthmother

Hi everyone. My husband found this site for me and I'm glad he did. I did a begginers course in Belly Dancing about 5 years ago. I loved it. Unfortunatley, very few others did and it was stopped after 6 weeks. Apparently we were frightening the horses and offending the locals. Even my best friend thinks I'm mad. Since then I have tried to keep practicing what I had learnt and teach myself from a couple of DVD's. My 8 year old daughter loves dressing up and dancing with me. My husband also enjoys watching me practice.

I'm hoping that there are some other brave souls out there, who live in Northern Ireland or close to. I need some help and encouragement! I would love to learn more.

Aniseteph

Welcome earthmother!

Wow, frightening the horses eh? - what were you doing?! ;):lol:

It's difficult if you are somewhere where there aren't the numbers to keep classes going, especially if people have odd ideas about what belly dance is. I have to travel to classes now because there just weren't the numbers to keep it going locally.

Hope you find a teacher - it makes a big difference being able to ask questions and get feedback on what you are doing.

earthmother

Nothing we shouldn't have been doing. The first week was hip circles. The next week we arrived to find the windows all papered up!? It's a country area and folks are very conservative. Surprisingly my horse Bess dosn't mind it. I have a theory that when riding you have to relax your hips and move with the horse whilst keeping your upper body relaxed but still, I think that both disciplines inprove the other.

Firouzah

Welcome earthdancer. I love the title of your thread!

I don't live in N. Ireland, but I've been there several times. (Beautiful! Let's trade places...:D)

I did a quick search and found this group in Antrim. You could contact them for leads on others in your area:

Jewel Dancers - Home

Good luck!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum Earthmother, what a shame that those who don't understand the dance and don't even care to try, prevent others from having their enjoyment. I hope you can find classes not too far away.
~Mosaic

PracticalDancer

Nothing we shouldn't have been doing. The first week was hip circles. The next week we arrived to find the windows all papered up!? It's a country area and folks are very conservative. Surprisingly my horse Bess dosn't mind it. I have a theory that when riding you have to relax your hips and move with the horse whilst keeping your upper body relaxed but still, I think that both disciplines inprove the other.

First, welcome to you and to Firouzah! It is always good to welcome new members!

Second, you are on to something by associating riding with our dance. I was once in a fabric store with my friend (and dance teacher) E, when we ran into my coworker who rides horses, Y, and her friend and riding teacher, RT. Turns out RT used to take dance classes from E and wanted Y to come over with other riding students to learn bellydance from E in a large group private lesson. RT knew that the hip work needed for the dance would help her riders ride much better! (I hope that story made sense -- but, it really blew the minds of the other folks in the fabric store to hear all the giggling about dance and horses!)

Personally, I love mutually compatible hobbies!

Again, welcome to you both!

Regards,

Anala

Shanazel

Welcome to both of you! I grew up in a place (south Texas) and time (pre-dinosaurs) where one did not post a trot, but kept one's butt firmly in the saddle and sat a trot. When I gave in to new fashion and the realization that posting was easier on the horse, I finally understood what the instructor was trying to explain by relating the movement to dance.

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome earthmother!
Hopefully you will find some place to dance soon.

When I was a kid, I did horseback riding for ten years. I never thought about how it could influence dance and vice versa but it could make sense, yes.

I buy all my swarovski hot fix crystals for costumes from a horse-stuff shop:lol: so... there's another cross-over for ya.

earthmother

I do. My Bess is 23 and a beautiful tri coloured cob mare. For everyday she wears a brown leather bridle with brass cinchers. For shows, chrystal brow band and ribbons. She loves it. Her neck arches and she sways her rump. At times she is a better dancer than me!

Besides Arabs have been decorating their horses for centuries.

Seriously though, I found that my bareback seat vastly improved after learning belly dancing.

gisela

Super Moderator
OK I have to know, who is sparklifying horses? :D

:lol:
The use the crystals to make pretty details on the bridle (is that the right word?) apparently. And they put sew-on stones in the horses' manes.
I just buy bag after bag of hot fix AB crystals :cool:

Last edited:

nightdancer

I love sparklies, and I love horses. :heart:

earthmother

Love the horse. Bess is 55% brown 40% white and 5% black. Scott is golden with a white mane and tail, he is a haflinger. Going on hols for a couple of weeks, but when I get back I will try and learn how to post pics and show you mine. You might also be unlucky enough to get some of me! Thanks to everyone for you kind welcomes and I love forward to getting some advice, ie; best dvds to learn from etc.