Hello from nowhere

Elfie

Hi everyone! My name is Elfie (Ellen in RL) and I've been doing belly dance for four months, although only for fitness purposes. I started dancing 2 years ago with television show, but stopped due to losing my satellite service. Now, I use the internet as there are no instructors in my area that I could find during my year and a half hiatus from belly dance. Self study is proving more difficult than I had imagined. Getting out of that beginner stage into intermediate is almost impossible and I find myself at a stale-mate. I would, eventually, like to become a professional but I'm not getting any younger and belly dance in Southern West Virginia is nonexistent. The closest instructor is about a 1 hour drive for me and in a style I have no desire to learn - Tribal. I think though, that self-teaching is limiting me as I (dare I say it) do actually have some natural ability. I've considered distance learning, but I'm not sure how much more effective that would be - or if I could afford the cost.

I have loads of fun despite all that. I am 27 years old and a mother of three. I've been complimented on my dancing by those who have A) rudely walked into my home without knocking while I'm working out/practicing B) asked me how I lost so many inches in my waist and then asked for a demonstration after I told them belly dance (these have been my close girlfriends for the most part). I have natural rhythm that comes from my history in music (I play sax, guitar and many other woodwind instruments).

Belly dance, for me, is a great stress reliever. Even if I am in a foul mood, I can put on some acoustic metal or instrumental heavy metal and dance until I'm smiling again. It never fails.

Anyhow, I hope there's room here for a lonely, self-taught living-room dancer from the middle of nowhere who wants to find others interested in the dance. I do know a professional dancer in Maryland, but I don't like bugging her with my questions. It almost feels like taking advantage of our friendship. So I'm here to bug you guys with my questions. :) Good to meet you all.

Mya

WELCOME!!!! there's room for everyone here...and lots of wonderful brains to pick! :D

Shanazel

Welcome, Elfie. We're always glad to meet new people. I don't live in the middle of nowhere myself- but we can see it on a clear day.;)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Living room dancers who live in the middle of nowhere are most welcome:D Plenty of people here to answer any questions you may have or point you in the right direction.
~Mosaic

earthmother

Hi, Welcome. I am a new member myself and know exactly what you mean. I also have 3 children and apart from a basic course, have to self teach. Your right it is so hard. In my case it is more other peoples attitude in my area. Rural/conservative. They have a steotype attitude to belly dancing, need I say more.

I also find it cheers me up, and like you, those who have seen me say I'm quite good. Mind you, they could be comparing me to the dog for all I know.

Good luck with your dreams, and keep on trying. I shall be.

Elfie

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I will warn you though, that I'm a bit of an odd duck, so you shall have to excuse my antics. :D I'm a writer as well and my horror obsession bleeds into absolutely everything I do.

teela

Welcome Elfie.
I understand being in the middle of nowhere. I live in the bush of Alaska where the closest teacher is 2.5 hours by air from where I live. I try to attend workshops as I can throughout the year and the rest of the time, I use DVD's of the style I like. You can make progress but it can be slower. Welcome and I'm glad you are here.

Elfie

I understand completely Teela. And you as well, Earthmother. I've heard such comments like "anyone can get up there and shake their rump - all that's missing is the pole" when belly dance is mentioned. It makes me sad and a little angry. The dance is so much more than that. It's expressive and beautiful and celebrates the female body like nothing I've ever seen - while being tasteful and elegant. I'd love nothing more than to bring the dance to Southern WV. Beckley is not that far of a drive - if you drive. I don't.

Belly dance is something my daughter (she's 9) and I actually do together, though I limit how much and often she dances. I don't feel confident enough in my own ability to let her go beyond the basic hip bumps, shimmies and arm movements. I'm afraid she'll hurt herself because of my ignorance. She's learned a bit on her own time, but she listens to Mom and keeps her practicing down to a couple times a week. I'm really glad to be here. Have many questions, but am reading back threads to make sure I don't ask something that has been asked a million-gazillion times. ;)

earthmother

My daughter is 8 and we've been dancing together for a couple of years. She does her best to do what I do and we have a great time. She is fitter than me and also horse rides and plays rugby. My middle son sometimes joins in too!! No gender stereotypes in our family.