Thread: Noob here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noob here!

Hello everyone,

I've been interested in belly dancing for some time, watching videos, reading about it, ect. It seems to be the one kind of dance I might be able to do. Unfortunately, there isn't really much of an opportunity for dance classes where I live, that I know of. Though, recently I was looking at my gym's class schedules and noticed that there is a belly dancing class. I have no idea about what experiance the instructor has, but it is better than nothing, I suppose. If anything, it will at least give me a little taste of dance I have been so obsessed with, I hope. If I like it, then it will only be the begining of my belly dance journey.

PS: Any ideas on what I should wear since it will be my first time and I do not own any costume?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.
    Why not ask at the gym about the classes. Make your questions general and not personally levelled at the teacher. Ask for a trial lesson and see what you think. If you do want to question the teacher, do it after class..see how she responds. Why go at this negatively: Good teachers come from all different backgrounds and experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. As Lizaj suggested give the gym a call and find out more about the class. I would think that most of the students wear something like yoga pants and a t/shirt/tank top for class with some sort of hipscarf. That is another question you can ask the gym when you phone them. Good luck hope it works out for you.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely go with yoga pants or leggings, and take/wear a nice loose skirt that can be tucked up so your teacher can see your leg movement. I suggest the skirt because it can be like a security blanket. If you're comfortable enough without the skirt, just go with a pair of leggings or yoga pants.

Dress in layers on top because you warm up VERY quickly, so even a light shirt with long sleeves can become too warm.

Good luck with your bellydancing journey.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.