Bigger dance associations competing with smaller studios?

gisela

Super Moderator
This is something we have been discussing in our "Oriental Dance Association" here in my country and I would very much appreciate your inputs. Let's see if I can explain it clearly...

I have recently joined the board in this association and I am torn in this discussion. The issue is this:
  • How much should we offer our members with regards to workshops, shows events etc?
  • Are we overflowing the market by offering events too often so that the smaller studios have trouble finding a weekend or time of year for their event, that doesn't clash with another event.
  • Are we undercutting the market by being able to offer workshops at a lower price simply because we have more members, a bigger audience and more ressources to get sponsors, funding and renting venues at a discount?
  • But what is the point of being an association if we don't offer anything to our members? Will they really be satisfied with only recieveing a magazine four times a year and having a recital in march? Why would they want to stay members? (this is my own point)

Those of you who have an active bellydance association or guild in your community, or are active yourselves: Is this something that is discussed? and how did you solve it?

Grateful for any thoughts from you out there :)

Eshta

I think there is constructive competition and destructive competition. By providing good quality events at good prices because you can afford better rates because you have more members, I don't see that as bad competition.

Perhaps you can try to keep your events to one a month in a specific area and try to keep it around the same time of the month, and publicise them well in advance? Or if your society is a major one in the area, why don't you offer to organise a community calendar where people can advertise their events but also use it to look up who is doing what and when to minimise clashes.

Samira_dncr

I agree with Eshta. I have a hard time seeing positive growth as a bad thing. I suppose I can see the issue if there is a monoply and nobody else can create an event; however, I think the solution is to do MORE, not LESS. More community outreach, more support to other smaller studios (do you have an organizational membership?), more advertising for the community as a whole. I think there is plenty the organization can do. MECDA in the US has events, but they also allow other outside event organizers to advertise to the MECDA members. I offer a discount to MECDA members at my event.

Last edited:

Shanazel

The idea of a belly dance association is so alien in my sparsely populated part of the world that it boggles my mind to think they actually exist out there in the wide world. :shok:

That being said, I think Eshta made an excellent suggestion that would avoid a lot of conflict with smaller groups who want to arrange their own events.

Perhaps you can try to keep your events to one a month in a specific area and try to keep it around the same time of the month, and publicise them well in advance?