Looking for instructional DVD's

Elfie

If any of you ladies want to get rid of some of your instructional DVD's that are no longer of any use to you, I'd be willing to buy them for a decent price (decent for you - you set the price) and pay for shipping. English language, please - I can't speak Arabic. I may have to buy only a few at a time, but I'm on the hunt.

Thank you in advance.

Ariella

What type of instructional DVDs are you looking for? Beginner? Tribal? Prop specific? Advanced drum solo? Turkish?

Elfie

That's the rub. I'm not exactly sure what level of dancer I am (beginner or intermediate, most likely. I will say that the beginner videos I have seen don't offer me much in the way of new instruction, but that means diddly). I plan to study many different styles, that way I can just do whatever the music feels like to me. But for the moment, I suppose Classic Egyptian style, AmCab, Turkish and Lebanese would be the ones I am most interested in. Tribal might come later, but right now it just hasn't caught my interest enough to buy videos of it. Veil videos are definitely welcome too, though. :) I love dancing with a veil when I see it and would love to try.

teela

Elfie:
Why not buy some DVD's brand new as the cost of many are quite reasonable new. For instance, there is a new one out by Leila of Cairo for somewhere around $10.00. This is pure egyptian style and her explanations are quite detailed and awesome.
Michelle Joyce produces some great ones in the $15 to $20 range. WNDY and Neon have lots that are in the $15.00 range. If you order two or more from them at once, they will give you a discount of 15% so each DVD is about $12.73.
Leila and Michelle Joyce can be ordered from Amazon.
Sometimes the price used plus shipping isn't that much different from new.
Just curious.

Elfie

Elfie:
Why not buy some DVD's brand new as the cost of many are quite reasonable new. For instance, there is a new one out by Leila of Cairo for somewhere around $10.00. This is pure egyptian style and her explanations are quite detailed and awesome.
Michelle Joyce produces some great ones in the $15 to $20 range. WNDY and Neon have lots that are in the $15.00 range. If you order two or more from them at once, they will give you a discount of 15% so each DVD is about $12.73.
Leila and Michelle Joyce can be ordered from Amazon.
Sometimes the price used plus shipping isn't that much different from new.
Just curious.

Well, because I'm apparently not looking in the right places. :D The DVDs I've found were 20.00 USD or more without shipping. I won't even buy movies for that. I'm quite frugal, to be perfectly honest. I feel like I'm wasting money if I spend more than 10 bucks for dinner at a restaurant unless It's a special occasion. LOL Budgeting rubs off on people, I guess, and most times my budget is tighter than a football end. If I find some new DVDs (like the ones you mentioned) that fit my budget, then sure... I'd buy.

Plus, you know... buying used dvds from other dancers - ones that they've outgrown so to speak - frees up space for them and puts a few dollars back in their pockets. ME dancers support each other and while yes, I'm newer to it I should still become part of that support system. *shrug* I've just had rotten luck finding stuff that's useful. (Oh, the goddess... every woman is... GAH!!!!) I figured if other dancers had it, it might be more worth looking into. :lol:

jenc

Well, because I'm apparently not looking in the right places. :D The DVDs I've found were 20.00 USD or more without shipping. I won't even buy movies for that. I'm quite frugal, to be perfectly honest. I feel like I'm wasting money if I spend more than 10 bucks for dinner at a restaurant unless It's a special occasion. LOL Budgeting rubs off on people, I guess, and most times my budget is tighter than a football end. If I find some new DVDs (like the ones you mentioned) that fit my budget, then sure... I'd buy.

Plus, you know... buying used dvds from other dancers - ones that they've outgrown so to speak - frees up space for them and puts a few dollars back in their pockets. ME dancers support each other and while yes, I'm newer to it I should still become part of that support system. *shrug* I've just had rotten luck finding stuff that's useful. (Oh, the goddess... every woman is... GAH!!!!) I figured if other dancers had it, it might be more worth looking into. :lol:

Have you thought that it is the ones they don't part with that might be the ones that are worthwhile?????

Daimona

And of course look out for reduced prizes and campaignes.. :)

If you wonder what instructional dvd's some of us owns, there are a couple of threads somewhere in the Students and Instructors -section if I recall correctly..

da Sage

That's the rub. I'm not exactly sure what level of dancer I am (beginner or intermediate, most likely. I will say that the beginner videos I have seen don't offer me much in the way of new instruction, but that means diddly).

Hello Elfie,

What videos have you seen that you don't like? That will help us make recommendations!:)

Elfie

Hello Elfie,

What videos have you seen that you don't like? That will help us make recommendations!:)

I can't remember the name of the video, but this chick Dolphina, or something like that. I couldn't get through the DVD and never bothered with another. I've been watching series-style videos on e-how ever since. I did do a lot of the Shimmy TV series, as well, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy stuff like that Dolphina thing - and there's really no way of knowing until you watch something if it's going to be like that. Some people may learn to dance from it, and do it well. I'm too easily annoyed. She annoyed me.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I can't remember the name of the video, but this chick Dolphina, or something like that. I couldn't get through the DVD and never bothered with another. I've been watching series-style videos on e-how ever since. I did do a lot of the Shimmy TV series, as well, but I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy stuff like that Dolphina thing - and there's really no way of knowing until you watch something if it's going to be like that. Some people may learn to dance from it, and do it well. I'm too easily annoyed. She annoyed me.

Ok, well you have excellent taste. Dolphina is ... I don't want to quite say "a joke" but she is NOT taken seriously at all by the global dance community. Her new schtick is burlesque and I think she should stick to that.

Teela mentioned Leila's dvd -- 5 stars!!!!! That is a FANTASTIC dvd. I usually don't believe you can actually learn to DANCE by a video, but hers is SO good, that if you don't have access to a teacher, you are really cheating yourself out of a GREAT education if you don't buy Leila's dvd.

I like all things Jillina. I think all of her dvds offer good technique, cute combos, and a good practice workout. Plus a choreography. You can get a lot of miles out of those dvds.

da Sage

I would also recommend that you stay away from Bellydance for Wimps...the instructor doesn't move well. There's a three-pack by Veena and Neena which is reported to be fairly decent, but stay away from their Bellydance for Fat Burning (everyone hates the Hoppy Dance of Doom!).

I am actually enjoying Luscious (I'm getting back into non-improv-tribal-style after a too-long break). I also like East Coast Tribal with Sera (best warm-up ever). I don't like Neon's older instructional videos, my back is not supple enough for them, but overall I think Neon's a good instructor.

Sonia and Issam's Art of the Drum Solo is an oldie but a goodie.

Why not surf around Amazon, pick some titles that sound interesting to you, and order them? Or you could just write down the titles and post them here - see what people have to say about them before you order them.

If you buy through this link, the forum gets a kick-back from Amazon, which helps Salome and A. afford to keep it running. I don't think the featured videos are chosen by Salome, though, so post here about what you plan to buy, and we'll tell you what we think!

Jane

I'd be willing to part with:

Discover Belly Dance: Basic Dance
Beyond Basic Dance (Veena & Neena) DVDs
Both for $15

Lavish Layers with Ansuya DVD $15

Lock, Roll & Flutter with Suzanna Del Vecchio VHS $20

Any interest?

Always keep the worst videos you can find for bad movie night! Bust out the popcorn!

Elfie

I'd be willing to part with:

Discover Belly Dance: Basic Dance
Beyond Basic Dance (Veena & Neena) DVDs
Both for $15

Lavish Layers with Ansuya DVD $15

Lock, Roll & Flutter with Suzanna Del Vecchio VHS $20

Any interest?

Always keep the worst videos you can find for bad movie night! Bust out the popcorn!

Awesome! It'll be a week or two before I have any extra cash - I got a phone call about an apartment Thursday so I may be moving! Finally. :) When I see what's up with that, I'll send you a pm with what I'm looking to buy from ya and you can give me info on how to get the payments to you. Thank you!!

LadyLoba

snooping in this thread....

I'm snooping in Elfie's thread for more ideas for me...I already have Leila's Bellydance for Beginners and the 2 set by Reyna on the list as per Aziyade's recommendation...and I wrote down Jilinia as well.

I'm the same way...I don't have a lot of money to spend...and I'm really frugal with DVDs and books....I'm one of those people who will comb alibris obsessively for a book before I'll go on B and N, Borders, or Amazon and buy it new.

I am also worried about getting quality...I'm afraid that left to my own devices without listening to you guys and some of the cool people over on bhuz...I'd order some sort of "belly dance" DVD that was nothing more than nightclub dancing with a few belly dance moves sprinkled in and then not even know enough about the art form to understand I wasn't belly dancing. Elfie sounds like she is waay ahead of me and would know better....but I do share the quality concern :)

And it's not just DVDs...I've noted the lack of seriousness in people where I live for just about anything to do with the arts in another thread...but I know that around here, classes can get like that too. Writing and theatre classes wind up being gossip sessions....every dance class someone tries is never more than an aerobics class with some of the dance moves sprinkled in...

I don't know Dolphina...I'll have to do a net search and see who everyone is talking about...

Elfie

Oooh! I forgot about this thread. I haven't actually gotten to buy anything yet either... I tend to forget that every single month before the holidays has birthdays of me, the children and the husband... and my mother too! Maybe I can convice someone that I need another Christmas prezzie... the sewing machine was all I wanted. :D I'm hooked, y'all! Teh sparkly bug....