Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarah Skinner??

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly? If no one here has taken a workshop with Sarah, try on Bhuz or even tribe. You particularly want to find someone who has her DVDs and can tell you how her workshops differ, if you can...there's nothing like paying through the nose to get the exact same content that's on a $20 DVD.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing is where I live you have to pay a lot and go away to get instruction. I dropped $2000 to fly to toronto to learn a weekend workshop with samantha emanuelle and because of weather problems here I missed the friday performance and the first 2 hour workshop saturday.

*sigh* but ya I don't have that kind of money lying around not being used yet. Thanks ladies for your help and suggestions.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cheat, I have a collection of Sarah's DVDs. She great but that amount for workshop is high. Her DVDs are much more economical. Also with them, you can keep going thru them over and over again to fine tune you moves

http://www.worlddancenewyork.com/catalog/bellydance

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me in your dance shoes, I think I would probably give it a miss, but for the following reasons:

I am having to be very strict with myself financially for the next few months, but don't want to stifle my learning. So if there's an opportunity to learn from someone that I know I want to learn from, I'll bend over backwards to make it work. But if it's not someone I know well enough to know that I want to learn from them, no matter how good or high profile they may be or sound, I'm going to give it a miss.

My logic is that if they are people I know I want to learn from, I'm pretty confident I'll feel I got my money's worth. If I don't know them, they may be great at what they do, but what they do may not be up my street and I may feel disappointed.

For me the decision would come down to whether I think it fits with what I'm focussing on learning right now. Given infinite resources, there are so many things I'd love to spend my money on learning, but those will have to wait until I can afford it.

Post Thanks / Like

If her workshops are anything like her videos, you will not be disappointed. She really packs a lot of stuff in her videos; I am guessing that her workshops would be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    I have to travel half way across the province which will take about 5 1/2 hours one way of driving. The big cost is the workshop registration, hotel costs, and gas. The workshop spans two days for a total of 7 hours and 15 minutes.

2 hour shimmy fundraiser (not part of the workshop by Sarah)

Workshop includes:
    2 1/2 hour veils
    1 1/2 hour bellydance grace
    1 hour 45 minute drum solo
    1 1/2 hour being a pro talk or wings work
    OK, what I see here is that the last two are topics that Sarah doesn't have videos out on yet (and who know whether she plans to?). So those are things that you can so far only learn from her in person.

The first two topics are her core strengths - as a textile aficionado, Sarah's alllll about veilwork. And she's known for her dramatic and graceful dancing. Her videos on veilwork and slow movement (which relies on grace to be effective) rate 5 stars on Amazon. So I'd expect great content in the first two workshops, plus additional value from the in-person demonstration and maybe even individual correction (depending on how large the workshops are).

$600 is a lot of money. It sounds like a worthwhile weekend, but whether it's worth it to you depends on what kind of learning opportunities you have available locally, how well you learn in person vs. via video, and how much spare cash and time you have in general.

Post Thanks / Like

$600 dollars is a lot of money. Is it worth it? I have no idea. From the sounds of it, it may be - but I don't see putting out $600 on a WS when you don't have it extra. If it will cause financial distress, I'd give it a miss - but then again I've never been to a workshop. I'm going to, when I can find one without breaking my bank account. I have to say that this may be one of those things where you get what you pay for. If she's as good as it sounds, and you won't have to eat canned cat food for six month to compensate, then I say get thee to that workshop! But only if you won't be eating the cat food I mentioned. Cat food tastes gross (don't ask me how I know that).

Post Thanks / Like

Ya i decided that I can't afford that much money on my own right now to go to the workshop

However plus side is that my entire troupe is paying to go see the Bellydance Superstars when the come to halifax in novemeber this year!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    Ya i decided that I can't afford that much money on my own right now to go to the workshop

However plus side is that my entire troupe is paying to go see the Bellydance Superstars when the come to halifax in novemeber this year!!!
    Awesome! I can't wait for the show, booked my ticket today. Monique seems to be working on arranging a workshop while they're in town, so maybe you'll get your workshop too when you're in Halifax for BDSS
    Last edited by onela; 09-01-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: heat wave caused poor sentence structure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onela View Post
    Awesome! I can't wait for the show, booked my ticket today. Monique seems to be working on arranging a workshop while they're in town, so maybe you'll get your workshop too when you're in Halifax for BDSS
    Most of my entire troupe is going and we plan on taking Monique's workshops if she ends up having them. I'll have to give you my number when I go, maybe we can meet up before the performance .

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and no plane flights will be delayed. Are you thinking of doing her workshops if she has them?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12