Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long?

Post Thanks / Like

Elfie, Jehan released a CD called Arabesque Rock Fantasy where she fuses metal with middle eastern music (some of the tracks). Of course it's not a substitute for middle eastern music but I think it might help you make the transition easier. Al Ayn Mulayateen revamped is actually pretty fun!

MP3 Jehan Kamal - Arabesque Rock Fantasy - Download Hard Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    Everybody is different, It took me three years to start looking natural and I battle stiffness all the time, (being older that is just a fact of life). Just keep at it. try some cross training like yoga or other flexibility work.

6 months is really a rather short time period.

Marya
    Yes - this. Six months is still in infancy. But remember: what takes long to learn is something learned in the bone. You will get it, I promise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    Elfie, Jehan released a CD called Arabesque Rock Fantasy where she fuses metal with middle eastern music (some of the tracks). Of course it's not a substitute for middle eastern music but I think it might help you make the transition easier. Al Ayn Mulayateen revamped is actually pretty fun!

MP3 Jehan Kamal - Arabesque Rock Fantasy - Download Hard Rock
    Awesome! Thank you Maria Harlequin. I appreciate it. And it might just do the trick - I appreciate metal in all forms. It could make the transition from metal to ME much easier. I'll take a look. Thanks again!

To the OP: I still think dancing to music you like - even as just a precursor to belly dance practice sets - can help you get more in the mood to dance and helps your body want to move more naturally. Pick a song and rock out, or hip hop your buns off, what ever - and then start practicing your dance sets to ME music. You can dance to the songs you like in your living room. It would probably never come out of your living room/bed room but that's okay. I guess it would be kind of like warmup dancing LOL. If you're aiming to go pro, then sticking to ME music is probably a good idea. And I never meant that you shouldn't dance to ME music. But dancing to metal helps me move naturally. Dancing to what you like - even for just one song before you start with BD - may make it come easier to you. (I hope this carifies what I was trying to say before.)

Maria H. Thanks again. I have to buy that CD now. Have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I know 6 months is a short time but i justed wanted to start to feel at least in some moves that I have drilled and practiced that they would show some signs of feeling more relaxed and natural.

At a class yesterday I started to feel a move or two come together. Not brilliant at all but definitely better.

Thanks for the advice Elfie. I think I will use my class to work on technique etc and dance at home for fun and try get the flow going a bit more. I have never had dance lessons before but I can hold my own on the dance floor. I love how free dancing makes me feel...now I'll just throw some BD moves in as well!

I will ask my teacher for copies of music we dance to in class.

I have to say too I am discovering muscle groups long forgotten. I know I need to strengthen the muscles in my mid and upper back and stomach. Plus work on my flexibility.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12