Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone Know About Tummy Tucks?

I'm considering getting one due to the loose skin/excessive stretch marks from having babies. My question is, how will this effect me as a belly dancer? Anyone know? Thanks!
    Angie

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth, one of my instructors had one and is very happy.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]I'm considering getting one due to the loose skin/excessive stretch marks from having babies. My question is, how will this effect me as a belly dancer? Anyone know? Thanks!
    Angie [QUOTE]

I have the same question. I'm really considering to have a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) because of a saggy belly with a very noticeable bump in the middle of it. In fact, people still ask me if i'm pregnant, while my youngest daughter is already 6 years old
    Believe me, those stubborn fat deposits just refuse to go away no matter how much i diet and exercise. It gets a bit better, but i lose weight everywhere, but almost nothing over there.
    Certain movement such as camels and -especially- belly rolls are not as defined as when performed by dancers with less fat in their bellies. Finally, it is very difficult to find a costume that fits and looks really nice.
    To make the long story short, i'm considering abdominoplasty but would like to hear from other bellydancers who have had this procedure or know bellydancers who have. Please help me. I really like my curves, but my belly is really a disaster !

Thanks in advance!

antares.
    Last edited by antares; 07-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend of mine just had a 'mini-tuck' for similar reasons, apparently they just removed the excess skin and the scar will be way below her hip belt. It's too early to give a progress report but it doesn't sound too traumatic compared to a full-on tuck and she expects to be dancing very soon. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, there is some nerve issues with healing, but it's usually only in the skin layer. I had excess skin from my babies, and started doing very firm massages on my tummy skin once or twice a day, and have noticed a HUGE difference in the tighness of my skin. I've been using coconut oil as a moisturizer during one of the massages, and my stretch marks are pretty much fully faded (most are less than a year old).

Anyhoo, the massaging is worth a shot before going with surgery.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Eshta: I'm hoping a "mini-tuck" will be an option for me, and then in combination with liposculpture. But i have to discuss it with a plastic surgeon. I'm still trying to learn more about the possibilities before a chose one (or more) surgeons and go talk with them. I have read that recovering from a miny tuck is much shorter than from a real tummy tuck.

@ Alosha: what do you mean with there is some nerve issues with healing? I don't understand it. I'm sorry, English is not my mother language.

You are right, massaging with moisturizing lotion before and after birth really helps. It doesn't have to be an expensive brand or something. I used bodylotion with vitamine E. I'm sure that it did help for my skin to retract and become as tight as possible, given the circumstances.

I had both my daughters with only 17 months appart. Both times i really had HUGE bellies. People used to stare at me on the streets and ask me wherever i went to wether i was expecting twins or triplets. I think my huge pregnacy bellies were due to a combination of facts. I'm not so long, but my first daughter was at her birth 57 cm long. Besides, i gained a lot of weight. On top of all that, there was a lot of amniotic fluid. This was clearly seen by my doctor on an echography he made the last week. Myfirst daughter was in no hurry to be born :-) so they had to make echographies, etc. Mostly, there is not much fluid left when you are "late". I had a lot, really a lot. Hence the BIG belly, hihihi....

I can really endorse that massaging with moisturizer helps. If i hadn't done that, i have no doubt it would be much worse now. However, because of the amount of strechting that ocurred during both pregnancies, there is excess skin and those stubborn fat deposits. My belly is kind of saggy and has a bit of an odd shape :0 and i'm affraid only surgery will give it a better shape. I'm getting tired that people keep asking me wether i'm pregnant and that t-shirts roll up and slips roll onder my little "apron" LOL.
    Last edited by antares; 07-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since some of your skin is moving to a different area, the nerves have to re-learn where they are. From what I've heard, it usually fixes itself within 6 months or so.

I know nothing from personal experience though, so I could be totally wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is, I'm 48 years old, so my skin elasticity just isn't what it was when I was young. I used cocoa butter during both my pregnancies, but it didn't do any good---I still developed stretch marks on my tummy and breasts that look hideous. Plus, I had an emergency C-section with my first baby, so I have a huge vertical keloid scar that makes me look like I have a butt on my front end, too. I've been trying very hard to be accepting of all this, and although I've learned to "live with it" to a certain point, I've still got the urge to undergo a tummy tuck.

Since I've almost completely stopped drinking soda pop, I've lost quite a bit of weight (I'm now down to 100 pounds, sorry don't know what that is in kilos or stones). I eat right, exercise, and bellydance, and although I look better than I have in years, I still have excess hanging skin, along with all the above issues. Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

Oh, anteres, you're not alone---as I said, I'm 48, and before I lost that 12 pounds, people asked me ALL the time when I "was due." I got asked that question so many times by customers, I would cry on the sales floor.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 07-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any surgery is a certain amount of unwanted shock for the body. You have to consider it seriously. Have you had any operations before? How does your body deal with scarring? Some people develop excessive scars and are very unhappy?

Have you tried any alternative methods? A friend of mine got rid of stretchmarks by increasing the amount of water she drank, using essential oils (rubbing in tea-tree/rosemary in a carrier oil ) and lots of exercises.

I would first try alternative methods and only then resort to a surgery.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast