A public school teacher sheds her inhibitions

teachermodel47

Hi my name is Marie. I just began bellydancing three months ago as a way to reinvent myself after a tough divorce. First of all I work as a high school social studies teacher. One day in the teachers room after school one of the younger teachers told me about a bellydancing class she took that allowed her to relieve stress. Due to the stress in my life, I said oh what the hell. So I took the classes and found my inner sensual self who was excited to feel sexy. I took it up and bought my first costume and now dance quite frequently. It was awkward to realize that a parent of a student could see me dance but as long as I do my professional responsibilities as a teacher I am fine. Bellydancing has taught me so much and allowed me to gain confidence to be proud of my body. I wear a bikini to the beach and at the pool and can wear only a sports bra when running all at the age of 47. Bellydancing allowed myself to heal emotionally. Am I the only public school teacher who is a bellydancer? Am I the only one over 40? Please message me and I would love to meet new friends who I can have fun talks with but please guys be respectful and no sexual comments. Thanks

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. I am 61 so you are just a young thing at 47:D There are bellydancers from young girls to beyond my age so you have nothing to worry about.:D

Why would you think anyone here on a BD forum would make sexual comments??? That is absolutely not what we are about. Do read through the threads on the forum. We discuss a myriad of subjects have some fun threads and the odd 'heated' discussion but the dance is our passion and we are here to share that passion. So relax & enjoy:D
~Mosaic

lizaj

Am I the only one over 40? Please message me and I would love to meet new friends who I can have fun talks with but please guys be respectful and no sexual comments. Thanks

Hi and welcome
Personal messages are not about "meeting people"for "fun talks" here. It's a discussion forum looking at many aspects of belly dance and the vast majority of members mostly female are not in the slightest bit interested in making comments to you. Have a good look at the forum and join in the threads that interest you.

Chani

Hi,

Welcome. You sound really enthusiasic.

I dance with a teacher from the local Catholic primary school. She has had her class do numbers at our community performances a few times. No mean feat trying to get 28 seven year year olds in synch. They do a great job. She is a little shyer when parents from the school might be watching but I have seen in their faces how proud her students are of their glamourous teacher when she dances.

I began bd when I was 43 after lots of personal heartache and had never danced before in my life. Three years on and I am feeling the same as you. Proud of myself and loving every minute of dancing. I have learned so much about other cultures and love the confidence and self esteem it has brought me. BD definitely helped me to recover from my broken heart. When I first started tears used to fall when I danced at home alone releassing all of my sadness but now it's nothing but smiles and joy when I dance. It's also given me a more positive body image.

I'm now 46 and in our classes the youngest are two gyoung women just out of high school and the oldest are two wonderful women in their 80's. My 10yo and 6yo also join in sometimes. Our teacher is my age and her 6yo joins in too. I love the wide age range we have. I'm very inspired by our older dancers. They refer to thmselves as purpetual beginners but they are at the level they want to be and enjoy themselves so much we all enjoy dancing with them. The younger ones do have it over we older dancers in flexibility and properly working knees but there is a lot be said for what life experience can bring to this dance and unlike them I'm not distracted by such things as going out partying on weekends and pregnancies. The older pair I dance with have grown up children and have retired so they are at a place in their life where they get to travel to Egypt (and they do every other year) without it disrupting family life.

At first, feelng that I didn't have 20 years to slowly build up my skills like the younger dancers prompted me to really commit myself to working hard to improve - I practice more than anybody else in my class. Now, 3 years on I realise that unless I want to be professional (which I don't) then I do have all the time I need and hope to be still dancing in my 80's like my classmates. I've just started ATS and it's like going back to the beginning again. I also have a desire to learn a certain style of martial arts - it's what I have gained from my bd classes that gives me the confidence to create new dreams and goals.

I think you will find the members here very respectful and it's no kind of pick up forum.

Happy dancing.

Farasha Hanem

49 here, and a former Sunday School teacher. :) Only reason I'm "former" is because I'm looking for a new church, but that's another matter. Welcome to the forum. :)

teela

I am a high school math teacher and dept head. I am well over 40. My students know I belly dance and there is no problem what so ever. I love belly dancing and try to do some most every day.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Welcome.

You should be fine as I know lots of teachers who bellydance. The one who taught me was actually a university professor.

Imeera

My parents are both teachers (one senior and one special needs junior) so I can understand what being a teacher is all about and what its like too (oh the parents evenings! =D). Good on you though for starting it! I can relate I just started Uni and was very stressed! Though I am still a very newbie dancer (I can just about shimmy since yesterday haha) but its helped loads! I am glad you feel the same =] Age, especially age, doesn't matter to dance (not alot does!) . What important is you enjoy it, and you certainly seem too! Welcome to the forum!

walladah

The most important lesson

a teacher should give to her students is to teach self-respect, courage, how to get rid of stereotypes and how art can be an everyday need like food.

So, your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher. Forget about the "parents"...

Welcome to the forum!

LadyLoba

Hello..

Marie! I sent you a private message and said "Hi"...I don't know your name! :)

Duh to me! :)

I am glad you are here...I have enjoyed all of your posts so far and hope to hear more from you!

Linah

I am a High School Librarian and well over 40.....I fell in love with belly dance long long ago but only started dancing a little over 6 years ago.
Every year I teach a 4 day lesson to the dance classes at my school. My gift to them and hopefully it will spark a fire that will ignite the passion of belly dance in at least one of them! I go through the history, we watch DVD's, we discuss, I teach basic moves that small groups combine and present to the other groups and I also perform in costume for them. I bring all my props and many costumes to display. (Many ELA standards are addressed!)
So yes, they all know I dance...
I even helped a student with her Senior project in which she took lessons, wrote a paper and performed in front of a panel of judges.
There is life after divorce and a woman really comes into her own when she embraces her own body and all of it's gifts.

cjcronin

Confidence

Yes, divorce is harrowing and it can lead to a lot of self-doubts on many levels. I am a complete devotee of belly dancing as a means of building/rebuilding self-confidence because it allows you to be free both physically and mentally for as long as the music plays and the dance is in progress. You are in control and commanding attention and expressing yourself from within yourself. Excuse the lapse into Oprahesque, but as far as other teachers or parents are concerned - you go girl!

Last edited by a moderator: