Stage fright

Mouse

I know its not always possible, but I find a familiar face in the audience - someone you can dance in front of comfortably any old time - is very good for calming the nerves.

Sara

:D Thanks for the tips. I also get rid of nervousness when I do activities too, or go out for a walk or something before an exam. I store at Eilene all the way through out lol. Made me feel safer sort of.

Cheers you guys, :lol: And Thanks Ariella for your kind words. :D I'm doing a lot of other shows right now like My Fiar Lady and stuff so I'm getting more confidence from them too.

Chloe

Try this affirmation Sara:
"I am an Olympian God(dess), and you (the audience) are privileged to come and worship me as I dance."

Once I figured this one out, years ago, I've never had stage fright since.

I really like that one, I've never heard it before - but it does make me think about performing in a different (but good) way.
Now that I think about it, from what I remember in my studies, my real name (Chloe) is just another name for the goddess Demeter. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"Chloe ("the green shoot", Pausanias 1.22.3, for her powers of fertility and eternal youth)".
*brandishes fist*
Huzzah! I am a Goddess!

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

I really like that one, I've never heard it before - but it does make me think about performing in a different (but good) way.
Now that I think about it, from what I remember in my studies, my real name (Chloe) is just another name for the goddess Demeter. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"Chloe ("the green shoot", Pausanias 1.22.3, for her powers of fertility and eternal youth)".
*brandishes fist*
Huzzah! I am a Goddess!

LOL this is cool!:dance:

charity

this is all very good advice.

some people have stage fright in the form of heightened anxiety. mantra's, breathing exercises, fake-outs, all that works to alleviate tension and reduce anxiety.

performance/stage fright in the form of insecurity takes time to overcome. insecurity takes years to develop or not develop. its going to take time and many positive affirmations from yourself to build up that confidence.

the more you go out there, the more you learn as a dancer, the greater confidence you will develop.

i believe in some situations stage fright doesnt go away. for some people it will never feel natural. and every time they perform, it feels like conquering the same fear over and over again yet it never becomes less. people have quit dancing because of it or have turned to alcohol or prescription drugs before performances. thats just another reality of it. perhaps hypnotherapy or anti-anxiety drugs is the only solution in those situations.

i believe that everything can be overcome. its simply a matter of retraining your thinking and maintaining a positive attitude. if dance is something you enjoy, then in time, i think everything will fall into place with a bit of positive reinforcement.

Mya

Sara i know how you feel with the stage fright i have that problem as well - i can do great things when i'm rehearsing at the studio or at home and once i get to an event my body seems incapable of doing more than 5 moves for the whole time and i never crack a smile! *points to avatar*

My remedy so far is to perform more. I dance for an unfamiliar audience as often as i can - last night i almost smiled even :lol:
it gets better slowly but surely

xx_shinobu_xx

stage fright

Hey, Ive been dancing for about 8 months now, & i did a HAFLA not too long ago.
I too felt liek a complete idiot..haha but they stuck me in the middle of things, and i just danced..and when i ran out of htings to do..i just smiled, and it kind of came to me..

I think if you havea good attitude & a smile, it's not so hard =]

RioDancerCO

Hi Sara :)
Something that I have found enormously helpful is to go out dancing with my troupe outside of the belly dance realm. We go out to the night clubs every once in a while and just have fun feeling the music move us. It has made us very responsive to each other and it also tends to become another place to practice moves learned in belly dance. I get a huge kick out of taking a piece of choreography I'm learning in class and trying to 'sneak' it into pop music dancing. We even put one of our pieces to some country western music as a line dance :lol: The more you dance with other people around- whatever the style- the more comfortable that atmosphere will feel for you. Also, zilling before hand has been a marvelous way for me to burn off jitters :) Lots of racket and energy.

Chloe

Hi Sara :)
Something that I have found enormously helpful is to go out dancing with my troupe outside of the belly dance realm. We go out to the night clubs every once in a while and just have fun feeling the music move us. It has made us very responsive to each other and it also tends to become another place to practice moves learned in belly dance. I get a huge kick out of taking a piece of choreography I'm learning in class and trying to 'sneak' it into pop music dancing. We even put one of our pieces to some country western music as a line dance :lol: The more you dance with other people around- whatever the style- the more comfortable that atmosphere will feel for you. Also, zilling before hand has been a marvelous way for me to burn off jitters :) Lots of racket and energy.

Nice! Though, of course, I'm too young to go to a nightclub juusst yet. But, I do have school dances to look foward to; something I've never considered before. I'll even dress up in a pretty outfit as well! Really good advice, RioDancer!

jannine

re: stage fright

Hi!!! Thought I would share this. My first Halfa was a few weeks ago. I called my mum, some friends, anyone I have in my life, to share with. I just needed a few minutes of their time, to watch me dance. Then my hubby watched me. If I can dance infront of him, I can dance for anyone.He is always encouraging. I told my friends, you can be critical, its ok, I will understand. So I danced in costume, the only thing my friend said that was critical was, "Is that your underwear I see", I said no, its seam binding. So ok this is good, something I need to fix. I had no case of nerves at all. Never missed a step, and everyone was very praising for my first dance (solo) ever. These small things worked for me. Remember, people want to see you dance. They have come to see you and encourage you. Like I said in another post, we all start at the beginning,we all have taken these baby steps.They can only lead to more experience. So, get out there and dance, for they have come to see you.

Be Blessed!

Suhad

Have any of you tried hypnosis as a means of reducing your stage fright?

I've been told by people I trust that I just need confidence, that my skill and my understanding are there.

I have come to realize that my issues with graceful arms and posture are really related to fear/panic, not lack of grace. I just don't have any confidence in myself as a dancer the way I do as a knitter, a spinner, a guitar player, or a paramedic. I chose a dance name hoping to separate my 'dance persona' from my regular persona so I could go out there and be that confident person, but it simply hasn't worked...I need to integrate that person into the whole of me, not separate her.

I am to the point where I am seriously considering paying the money to see a hypnotherapist for this. I had a regular gig, in a small place where I was only dancing for a few tables which helped...until he canned me and the other dancer for younger, thinner ones who said they would work for less. THAT was a confidence shaker, even if I understand the reasons!

So, just wondering if any of you have done that, and how well it worked -- even if it was for other reasons than stage fright.

Kharmine

I had to have 3 hypnotherapy sessions before I could finally make myself see a dentist after several years. It did get rid of the fear -- but it was like a tide that went out and exposed what was really underneath the fear.

I was truly angry at the way I had been treated in dentist offices in the past -- the dismissing of my pain and the horrible way I always felt afterward (yes, even with nitrous oxide). And I felt helpless to do anything about it because the dentist was always supposedly doing his best so I was just supposed to be an adult, suck it up and bear it.

Which, I realized, was a ridiculous, self-serving thing to expect. My fear was a result of misery and anger over having no control of this situation. Well, this time, when I finally went in I was pretty belligerent and refused to put up with the same old crap.

I ended up cutting the appointment short and marching out. Fortunately, a friend just then came up with a tip about another dentist who didn't use needles or nitrous oxide -- he used lasers and real skill with the latest techniques, not just a vague promise to be as "gentle as possible" with the basically the same old methods and equipment.

I made an appointmnt -- still belligerent -- and it turned out to be a godsend.

Hypnotherapy doesn't work on everyone -- you won't know until you try it. But also be aware that when the symptoms are dealt with, it may expose the real problem.

Look for a good practitioner the way you'd look for a good hairdresser or a good plumber -- you want training, experience, references and a feeling of trust with this person.

And with a hypnotherapist, it's like with a doctor who is new to you -- they may not know what are the right questions to ask. If they aren't interested in spending time just talking to you to try to be sure of what needs addressing, find someone else.

Shanazel

I just don't have any confidence in myself as a dancer the way I do as a knitter, a spinner, a guitar player, or a paramedic. I chose a dance name hoping to separate my 'dance persona' from my regular persona so I could go out there and be that confident person, but it simply hasn't worked...I need to integrate that person into the whole of me, not separate her.

How very wise of you, my dear. I used to think I separated my dance persona from my real persona, but what I did was encourage part of me to show that was usually hidden- even from me;).

Have you been dancing as long as you've been a knitter, spinner, guitarist, paramedic? Have you spent as many hours practicing dance as you have those other skills? Probably not, but if so, perhaps you need to figure out exactly what it is you are afraid of and decide how you can deal with worst case scenarios (I can almost guarentee you that real life dance disasters are never as bad as you imagine they can be. If this isn't true for you- well, you just need a scarier imagination!)

Afraid of making a mistake? Who is going to know if you don't tell them?

Afraid you'll slip on your skirt and fall on your butt? Been there, done that. Get yourself to a sitting position, smile at your audience like you are sharing a secret joke with them and do some nice snake arms while you undulate yourself back to your feet.

Veil catch in your earring and won't come off? Smile sweetly, turn slightly away, take of the earring and veil and keep dancing.

Lose an eyelash? Relax, no one is looking at your eyelashes.

Fall off the stage? Assuming you haven't broken an ankle, leap to your feet, wave to your audience, and dance your way back up there.

Forget what you were going to do? Just keep moving. When my students first start to improvise, I tell them if you can't think of anything to do, start at the top of your head (head slide? Half moon?) and work your way down your body (shoulder slide, snake arms, chest lift, hip sway).

Yes, I understand stage fright. It grips me when I am forced to do a choreographed dance. I hate choreographed dances- it terrifies me to think that it may be me, ye ole teacher, who is the one to screw up the routine while my students hit every step. But I take a few deep breaths, force my mind away from the panic (this takes practice) and concentrate on the feel of the dance, the sound of the music, the glow of the lights, and the energy of my students instead of "OH MY GOD I'M GONNA BLOW IT!"

Concentrate on what you are doing and why you are doing it (I assume you love it), not how you are appearing to the audience.

And no, I never had hypnosis to deal with stage fright. I did, however, learn self-hypnosis to use during childbirth, and I am sold on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Safran

:clap::clap::clap:
Shanazel, if not a hypnotherapist, you could become a belly dance councellor (spelling?) at least.

Sara

Ah now you see... when I go out clubbing (here the age is 18) I'll dance on bars, poles, anything and everything and I don't mind. I've won a podium dancing competition, I was asked to work in a bar as a dancer who dances on the bar could I wouldn't get off :lol: (of course I declined even though it was a respectable club) but put me in a show environment and it's suddenly so hard. :(

gisela

Super Moderator
Before a performance I get VERY nervous, sweating, trembling, talking fast and unclear, stressing even though I'm in time. Then... when the music starts it all disappears and I just feel really happy and like I want to give everything I possibly can to that audience. I have come to trust the music and think it will guide me through the dance.

However, I deal a lot better with a proper stage with lights and good sound and a big audience than a more intimate setting. I am getting better at it but I still feel a bit too close and vulnerable when theres no stage and bright lights.

I do think a bit about stagefright and I try to not put myself in performance situations that might give me a bad experience. Like: I make sure that my costume fits and is secured by a lot of safetypins, I practice and know my stuff, only perform with dances I feel very relaxed with, and focus on giving the audience a great experience etc. really the basics that everyone does, but to be in control of the details helps me relax and stop worrying about what might happen.

Last edited:

janaki

Time is a healer!!! More you perform the less stage fright you get. When I go out to perform, I repeatedly tell myself these things

1. go out do the best as I can get.
2. don't go there to please people
3. Don't try dance like someone else.
4. If any mishaps happen on the stage laugh about it. Assure yourself that no one is going to kill you for this LOL. Beleive me, this helps
5. Compliments are good but not important

Suhad

Sara, you made me laugh out loud! That's exactly how I am...anywhere I'm NOT supposed to be dancing, I can do it well with a wicked grin on my face. Put me on a stage in front of people who actually know the stuff and I don't have a costume large enough to hide behind!

I purchased Saqra's Stage Fright self hypnosis program (it also includes 'homework' and aromatherapy) and I will let you know how it goes. I've also gotten in contact with a local hypnotherapist who used to work with the athletes at Michigan State University. One way or another I'm going to get over this!!! :mad:

Funny, but I'm OK with small intimate settings; I feel like I can actually interact with people (although dancing amongst tables while people are trying to serve food is kind of a pain).

Aisha Azar

Stagefright

Sara, you made me laugh out loud! That's exactly how I am...anywhere I'm NOT supposed to be dancing, I can do it well with a wicked grin on my face. Put me on a stage in front of people who actually know the stuff and I don't have a costume large enough to hide behind!

I purchased Saqra's Stage Fright self hypnosis program (it also includes 'homework' and aromatherapy) and I will let you know how it goes. I've also gotten in contact with a local hypnotherapist who used to work with the athletes at Michigan State University. One way or another I'm going to get over this!!! :mad:

Funny, but I'm OK with small intimate settings; I feel like I can actually interact with people (although dancing amongst tables while people are trying to serve food is kind of a pain).

Dear Suhad,
I suffer from terrible stage fright. What I have learned to do is look at the ways in which stage fright is a positive element in my dance.

* Because of the extra adrenalin in my system, I will dance stronger and can dance longer.
* I will also have super body awareness because of it, making it possible for me to be VERY tuned in to what is moving and how and where. ( Self monitoring is a part of the whole anxiety experience, and is seldom something that I seem to manage to put to good use, but during dance, I can.)
* I will hear every nuance in my music because adrenalin, the "flight or fight" hormone, makes me hyper-aware of my personal dance environment, which is heavily rooted in the music.

I am sure other people can add to this list. You still have the same stage fright, you just learn to use it in more positive ways than to just think you are going to throw up or faint any second!!! Like movement, mood can be observed from different angles for a new look!
Best wishes and regards,
A'isha

Aniseteph

I'm one of the stage OK, intimate setting :shok::shok::shok: types. The idea of dancing in a restaurant being able to hear comments and see faces close up scares the carefully-matched dance trunks off me.

I do get nervous and manic, but not paralysing stage fright. Don't focus on all those people watching, what if I mess up, what if I'm not very good, what will they think etc.

OK, can't speak for global audiences here, and excluding stand-up comedians playing a tough crowd..... bu think rational: what is actually likely to happen? What happens to other performers you've seen in similar shows, even the most mediocre ones? Is the audience really likely to boo, heckle, throw rotten fruit, or sit in stunned silence while the tumbleweeds roll across the stage. Can you picture how wrong/bad a performer has to be for that? They WANT to like you, a) because they've come to see the show and b) because if a performance goes seriously off it is embarrassing to watch and we'd rather give you the benefit of the doubt and applaud politely to cover our collective cringe (Ok, this might be an English thing. Or just me).

So IMO a stage is actually a nice safe place to do your thing. What is going to happen worse than polite applause? You can beat yourself up later that you missed a cue, a move didn't work, you trod on your skirt, you danced better in rehearsal... performing at anything is like that. You may not bring the house down or get a standing ovation, but whatever happens you have added to your performing experience and are a step closer to wowing them one day. Which you'll never do if they never get to see you at all :(.

And in front of a belly dance crowd, don't focus on OMG there are all those people out there who know what I'm doing wrong. Think of all those of us who admire you for getting up and doing it, wish they had the nerve/opportunity, or have done it and have the generosity of spirit to remember and be sympathetic.