Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stage fright

Post Thanks / Like

I know its not always possible, but I find a familiar face in the audience - someone you can dance in front of comfortably any old time - is very good for calming the nerves.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I also get rid of nervousness when I do activities too, or go out for a walk or something before an exam. I store at Eilene all the way through out lol. Made me feel safer sort of.

Cheers you guys, And Thanks Ariella for your kind words. I'm doing a lot of other shows right now like My Fiar Lady and stuff so I'm getting more confidence from them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Recnadocir View Post
    Try this affirmation Sara:
    "I am an Olympian God(dess), and you (the audience) are privileged to come and worship me as I dance."

Once I figured this one out, years ago, I've never had stage fright since.
    I really like that one, I've never heard it before - but it does make me think about performing in a different (but good) way.
    Now that I think about it, from what I remember in my studies, my real name (Chloe) is just another name for the goddess Demeter. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"Chloe ("the green shoot", Pausanias 1.22.3, for her powers of fertility and eternal youth)".
    *brandishes fist*
    Huzzah! I am a Goddess!
    Last edited by Chloe; 05-21-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I really like that one, I've never heard it before - but it does make me think about performing in a different (but good) way.
    Now that I think about it, from what I remember in my studies, my real name (Chloe) is just another name for the goddess Demeter. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"Chloe ("the green shoot", Pausanias 1.22.3, for her powers of fertility and eternal youth)".
    *brandishes fist*
    Huzzah! I am a Goddess!
    LOL this is cool!

Post Thanks / Like

this is all very good advice.

some people have stage fright in the form of heightened anxiety. mantra's, breathing exercises, fake-outs, all that works to alleviate tension and reduce anxiety.

performance/stage fright in the form of insecurity takes time to overcome. insecurity takes years to develop or not develop. its going to take time and many positive affirmations from yourself to build up that confidence.

the more you go out there, the more you learn as a dancer, the greater confidence you will develop.

i believe in some situations stage fright doesnt go away. for some people it will never feel natural. and every time they perform, it feels like conquering the same fear over and over again yet it never becomes less. people have quit dancing because of it or have turned to alcohol or prescription drugs before performances. thats just another reality of it. perhaps hypnotherapy or anti-anxiety drugs is the only solution in those situations.

i believe that everything can be overcome. its simply a matter of retraining your thinking and maintaining a positive attitude. if dance is something you enjoy, then in time, i think everything will fall into place with a bit of positive reinforcement.

Post Thanks / Like

Sara i know how you feel with the stage fright i have that problem as well - i can do great things when i'm rehearsing at the studio or at home and once i get to an event my body seems incapable of doing more than 5 moves for the whole time and i never crack a smile! *points to avatar*

My remedy so far is to perform more. I dance for an unfamiliar audience as often as i can - last night i almost smiled even
    it gets better slowly but surely

Post Thanks / Like

Default stage fright

Hey, Ive been dancing for about 8 months now, & i did a HAFLA not too long ago.
    I too felt liek a complete idiot..haha but they stuck me in the middle of things, and i just danced..and when i ran out of htings to do..i just smiled, and it kind of came to me..

I think if you havea good attitude & a smile, it's not so hard =]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sara
    Something that I have found enormously helpful is to go out dancing with my troupe outside of the belly dance realm. We go out to the night clubs every once in a while and just have fun feeling the music move us. It has made us very responsive to each other and it also tends to become another place to practice moves learned in belly dance. I get a huge kick out of taking a piece of choreography I'm learning in class and trying to 'sneak' it into pop music dancing. We even put one of our pieces to some country western music as a line dance The more you dance with other people around- whatever the style- the more comfortable that atmosphere will feel for you. Also, zilling before hand has been a marvelous way for me to burn off jitters Lots of racket and energy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RioDancerCO View Post
    Hi Sara
    Something that I have found enormously helpful is to go out dancing with my troupe outside of the belly dance realm. We go out to the night clubs every once in a while and just have fun feeling the music move us. It has made us very responsive to each other and it also tends to become another place to practice moves learned in belly dance. I get a huge kick out of taking a piece of choreography I'm learning in class and trying to 'sneak' it into pop music dancing. We even put one of our pieces to some country western music as a line dance The more you dance with other people around- whatever the style- the more comfortable that atmosphere will feel for you. Also, zilling before hand has been a marvelous way for me to burn off jitters Lots of racket and energy.

Nice! Though, of course, I'm too young to go to a nightclub juusst yet. But, I do have school dances to look foward to; something I've never considered before. I'll even dress up in a pretty outfit as well! Really good advice, RioDancer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default re: stage fright

Hi!!! Thought I would share this. My first Halfa was a few weeks ago. I called my mum, some friends, anyone I have in my life, to share with. I just needed a few minutes of their time, to watch me dance. Then my hubby watched me. If I can dance infront of him, I can dance for anyone.He is always encouraging. I told my friends, you can be critical, its ok, I will understand. So I danced in costume, the only thing my friend said that was critical was, "Is that your underwear I see", I said no, its seam binding. So ok this is good, something I need to fix. I had no case of nerves at all. Never missed a step, and everyone was very praising for my first dance (solo) ever. These small things worked for me. Remember, people want to see you dance. They have come to see you and encourage you. Like I said in another post, we all start at the beginning,we all have taken these baby steps.They can only lead to more experience. So, get out there and dance, for they have come to see you.

Be Blessed!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast