Narrow hips

_Leila

Hello to all! I have 22 years and just started to take belly dance classes. I enjoy it a lot but I have a problem. I can’t do well the “hip bump” move and I think is because of my narrow hips. This frustrates me. Is there any woman here with narrow hips that can make these moves very well? If I keep practicing can I perform these movements really well some day? I really want to learn. Thank you. ;) (Excuse my English)

Elfie

Hello to all! I have 22 years and just started to take belly dance classes. I enjoy it a lot but I have a problem. I can’t do well the “hip bump” move and I think is because of my narrow hips. This frustrates me. Is there any woman here with narrow hips that can make these moves very well? If I keep practicing can I perform these movements really well some day? I really want to learn. Thank you. ;) (Excuse my English)

Hi! I don't know that the size of your hips has much to do with how it moves. As you progress with dancing, your range of movement will expand. Flexibility is key. Your hip bumps will become more pronounced as your muscles get used to moving that way - I mean really, how often do we move our hips like that in the every day situation? Right now, think of your hips as kindergartners learning their ABC's. You have to teach them. Keep practicing. Your hips and ribs both will gain a wider range of movement as time goes by. Make sure you drill your moves often and practice, practice, practice.

Edit to add: I do not have narrow hips, but my daughter, who is nine and has very, very narrow hips, executes the most beautiful hip bumps I have ever seen.

Kashmir

I have narrow hips and no problem with a bump. The issue is flexibility and control rather than hip size.

Shanazel

True that.

Still, if you want a bit more oomph, pad your hips with a veil or scarf tucked in your hip belt at each side. Makes small movements more noticeable.

Greek Bonfire

Make sure to use your adductor(sp?) muscles inside your thighs which will help you execute better hip bumps. Too many people start out using their joints (like me) and all you get is a lot of pain. The size of your hips is not the problem, it's the muscles you use to execute the movement.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
yup as the ladies said above it is all about flexibility and your muscles learning the new movment. I have heard of many smaller sized dancers who pad their hips in outifts to make the movements look bigger and stand out.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Narrow hips in this dance form suck - but with enough practice, they'll get to where they can be seen. The veil ends/whatever tucked in at the hips REALLY helps - ask me how I know this... :dance:

Chani

I agree that it's flexibility and not dimentions that counts and practice will get you there although each body is different and perhaps not all of us will achieve the same range of movement.

Costuming can help accentuate hip movements.

_Leila

=)

Hi! I don't know that the size of your hips has much to do with how it moves. As you progress with dancing, your range of movement will expand. Flexibility is key. Your hip bumps will become more pronounced as your muscles get used to moving that way - I mean really, how often do we move our hips like that in the every day situation? Right now, think of your hips as kindergartners learning their ABC's. You have to teach them. Keep practicing. Your hips and ribs both will gain a wider range of movement as time goes by. Make sure you drill your moves often and practice, practice, practice.

Edit to add: I do not have narrow hips, but my daughter, who is nine and has very, very narrow hips, executes the most beautiful hip bumps I have ever seen.

Thanks Elfie I think I got it! I've been practicing every day and my hips are more flexible. How cute your daughter.

Shanazel said:
True that.

Still, if you want a bit more oomph, pad your hips with a veil or scarf tucked in your hip belt at each side. Makes small movements more noticeable.
Thanks for the idea.

Greek Bonefire said:
Make sure to use your adductor(sp?) muscles inside your thighs which will help you execute better hip bumps. Too many people start out using their joints (like me) and all you get is a lot of pain. The size of your hips is not the problem, it's the muscles you use to execute the movement.
Yeah I did that too.

Zorba said:
Narrow hips in this dance form suck - but with enough practice, they'll get to where they can be seen. The veil ends/whatever tucked in at the hips REALLY helps - ask me how I know this...
How? :D

Thank you all for your advice.