Christchurch NZ Earthquake

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hope all our Ch Ch based Dancers are OK. Spent a good part of yesterday chasing up numerous relatives in Christchurch, all are OK, some damage (minor) to a couple of homes, but massive cracks in the roads around the place. Scary stuff!

Spent my childhood experiencing EQs in Christchurch and the one in the 60s which shook everything off shelves and buckled the windows and cracked the steeple on the cathedral, but this one is really nasty. Thank goodness there is no loss of life. Kudos to NZs safety standards.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Just saw on Bhuz that Kashmir & Zummarad are OK, so that is good news, Not sure about Adiemus though. If you can Bronnie let us know how you and your family/friends are.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

I've experienced my share of earthquakes over the years and offer up my very best wishes and most sincere prayers for our New Zealand dancers.

PS Mosaic: Thanks for the update just as I was posting this.

Bronnie, where are you?

Dev

I just hope that everybody is ok . I have not heard any news of any fatalities yet, it may take months or even years to rebuild the infrastructure which is pretty sad as Christchurch is a magnificent city.

Regards to all.

Mosaic

Super Moderator

Farasha Hanem

Just saw on Bhuz that Kashmir & Zummarad are OK, so that is good news, Not sure about Adiemus though. If you can Bronnie let us know how you and your family/friends are.
~Mosaic

I follow Bronnie on Twitter, and she seems to be all right, but last update I read, they still didn't have any water. If you like you can follow Bronnie's Twitter updates at Bronnie Thompson (adiemusfree) on Twitter. Her pets are a bit shaken up (no pun intended), but Bronnie's okay. :)

Just heard from Bronnie now: @FarashaHanem_SA Hi we're fine now, water is back on but we have to boil it & sewage is a bit dodgy but power is back on too

Mosaic, Kashmir and Zummarad also live in Christchurch, or in the earthquake vicinity? :(

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I follow Bronnie on Twitter, and she seems to be all right, but last update I read, they still didn't have any water. If you like you can follow Bronnie's Twitter updates at Bronnie Thompson (adiemusfree) on Twitter. Her pets are a bit shaken up (no pun intended), but Bronnie's okay. :)

Just heard from Bronnie now: @FarashaHanem_SA Hi we're fine now, water is back on but we have to boil it & sewage is a bit dodgy but power is back on too

Mosaic, Kashmir and Zummarad also live in Christchurch, or in the earthquake vicinity? :(
Thanks for the update on Bronnie, Farasha - good to know she is OK & yes I know Kashmir & Zummarad live in Ch Ch:D I can't think of anyone else from the forum who does though.
~Mosaic

adiemus

Zumarrad is fine, she lives in central city and had her chimney fall. Kashmir posted a couple of pictures but said class is still on this week!
I've posted a blog post about my experience - but mine is very minimal compared with so many people who have been hit very hard. Temporary downtime: Christchurch earthquake aftermath HealthSkills Weblog

here's the flickr link searched under earthquake and christchurch
earthquake christchurch - Flickr: Search

It's absolutely amazing to learn that there have been NO deaths, two seriously injured but otherwise mainly cuts, bruises, fractures maybe - but otherwise minimal human damage. It's all our heritage buildings and lovely old homes and things that have been hit hard...
Thanks for all your thoughts - we'll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start all over again!!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Good to hear from you Adiemus and glad to hear you are fine.

Some of the pics on the news here of the huge displacement of roads are incredible, some of those are going to be out of commission for a while I am picking, as well as the downed bridges. It's a shame that so many heritage buildings have sustained so much damage, but the minimal damage to people is what matters in the end. Keep staying safe.

Kashmir

Checking in late - but fine

Thanks for yor thoughts for us downunder.

My house (and studio) had no structural damage but I must screw all the bookcases to the walls - if the earthquake hadn't've woken me the bookcase landing on my bed probbaly would have. Mind you some fixed bookcases still ejected books across the room. All back in place but still out of order - will fix soon. Otherwise only minor breakages.

Real problem is infrastructure - I've been across town where there was water - my place has (non-drinking) water now so I can finish the clean up. Roads and bridges are out around here making what were minor trips into frustrating trips around town and there isn't a central place to find out. You drive somewhere and then you strike a closed road - and the alternative is closed as well. CBD is shut so I have the day off today - and maybe tomorrow.

Sad for the people who have lost houses but only two people badly hurt. No deaths. As a guy on the radio said "When stuff happens you just have to deal with it".

Farasha Hanem

Thanks for the update on Bronnie, Farasha - good to know she is OK & yes I know Kashmir & Zummarad live in Ch Ch:D I can't think of anyone else from the forum who does though.
~Mosaic

Sorry, that was a question rather than a statement; I thought the "?" would indicate that. I guess I should have put the word "Does" in front of my sentence, but when my brain is tired, I guess it just expects others to read it. :redface: I asked that question because I didn't know that Kashmir and Zummarand lived there, too. I'm sorry I didn't make my question clear. :(

Here's a Facebook update from Bronnie:

Bronnie Thompson via 3 News - New Zealand's latest news, sport, entertainment, politics, business... Christchurch earthquake - Red Cross donations
Leaving Facebook... | Facebook
Donation information for the recovery effort in Christchurch.
18 hours ago ·

I need to learn to read all posts before typing... -_-;; *waves at Bronne* :D

Last edited:

Zumarrad

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. We're emotionally pretty frazzled, as a city really; where I live is quite exciting, since it's all military and roadblocks and such, but the aftershocks are becoming wearying and while we are so grateful for the lack of human loss the loss of homes and buildings we love is starting to hit us. I have just learned that the building where I learned to dance and taught for many years, host to many haflas and workshops, is red-stickered. The current owner is a BDer too. Such heartbreak.

Shanazel

The kind thoughts and good hopes for the future will continue. Hang in there, Kiwis. We can't do without you.

Zumarrad

I'm fine, Kashmir has checked in and I am pretty sure Adiemus is OK too. The whole country is going off!

This is proving to be a very strange night. That first one was.... felt like two minutes of rolling. It''s not centred in our town, but north of it, but we're fairly nervous for obvious reasons.

Shanazel

Oh, dear. I am just reading about this. Happy to know everyone is okay, or as okay as can be when the whole country is rocking and rolling.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thanx for checking in fast, Zum. I just heard about this and thought "Not AGAIN!". The number I'm hearing is 7.8, which is MASSIVE. I went through a 7.2, and that was bad enough!