Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think it really depends on the group dynamics of the class you're in.
    There ya go. Rep to Oona!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the girl didn't bring anyone else who behaved like that. I don't disagree with anyone who posted here about other spectators. It would depend on the situation....and in the situation you described, it sounded like the guy was not so much a quiet observer but a disruption and a pest with the unasked for criticism. I hope the private word worked..

You know, I never thought of the "learning for free" problem...but that's true. If someone "watches" any type of class too much, it's almost like they're in it, which isn't fair to someone who paid for the class or workshop.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I dunno. I watched football practices for years but couldn't catch a bomb on the run anymore than I could throw one.

At horse seminars the audience is allowed in for a lesser fee than that charged participants. Hmm. Wonder if I could drum up some extra pocket change that way?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oona View Post
    She had a private word with the girl, thanks for asking.

I understand what some people are saying that it is performance art, but our classes are not 'performance' classes. As we're friends in our small group, it can be intimate girl time. Sometimes we show up not feeling too good about ourselves or look a mess and the last thing you're expecting is to have an audience, it can really put you off even more. I'm starting to think it really depends on the group dynamics of the class you're in.

Thanks for people's input.

I totally agree on your last sentence about group dynamics. I don't think I would be comfortable with a random partner turning up and watching class, esp if I didn't know him (or her). On the other hand I have known a class member to bring along her teenage daughter and we were all comfortable with that, as we know each other well and are all friends. So yes to depending on the dynamics of your group. I am glad your situation has been solved though Oona!

Even though b/dance is a performance dance not everyone performs, some go to class to get in the moment and release inhibitions, I could imagine then people may not feel comfortable.

All this remind's me of a guy we had spying on our class from accross the road - I think he had binoculars...We just make sure we shut the curtains now

Post Thanks / Like

Spying from across the road...now that is weird. If anyone forgets the curtains and he does it again, have everyone bring binoculars to the next class, line up at the window, and everyone stare back.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be a nerd here, but when I went to college at night, no kids or family members were allowed in class, just the actual paying students. I approach dance classes the same way - to come and learn and not be distracted and to get as much of out the class without any interruptions. But like I said before, I'm a bit of a nerd on learning so I do tend to get a little intense.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Fotia. They are there to learn, not perform. Haflas are for practice performances, or hey, maybe...... a practice performance?????? Yeah, if you are in my class, you are going to participate and pay. I also don't like others making comments about my students.... did a demo at a high school... girls' gymn class.... some football players + coach cutting through gymn with equipment.... boys laugh.... "Hey Coach? May I please have these boys for just a few minutes?".... (Huge grin and wink from the coach because he somehow KNEW what was coming) "Sure you can!" The boys had to try it... then the girls were laughing back at them. They left saying, "That was hard! She was kicking our butts!" All in less than 5 minutes! Don't laugh at my students.... I'll challenge you to a butt kicking, dance learning time!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Shara!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    Spying from across the road...now that is weird. If anyone forgets the curtains and he does it again, have everyone bring binoculars to the next class, line up at the window, and everyone stare back.
    I love it LadyLoba! I would SOOOOO do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Shara View Post
    I'm with Fotia.... Yeah, if you are in my class, you are going to participate and pay. I also don't like others making comments about my students... Don't laugh at my students.... I'll challenge you to a butt kicking, dance learning time!
    Excellent solution Shara! I bet they will think twice about even cutting through, let alone commenting or laughing!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234