Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motivations to start bellydancing

Hi I was curious of everyone's motivation to begin bellydancing. For me, it was because I wanted to unlock my sensual side and to increase my self confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Needed to get out and about and have some sort of activity in my life ( had at the time recently returned to Australia after 11 years overseas), hated gyms with a passion had admired BD and loved anything to do with Egypt - history etc, and saw an ad about BD classes and thought it sounded like fun, but not being sure if I would like it decided to take a couple of private lessons, fell in love with BD from lesson one joined a class and 7 years later here I am still dancing & totally addicted.and the rest is history!
    ~Mosaic
    Last edited by Mosaic; 05-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Anoush Kasabian perform in Fresno and belly dance became an instant passion that I've pursued for over thirty years.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I saw some ladies bellydancing at a Greek festival. They were not in costume but just dancing off to the side to some music. At the time I had just broken up with someone and needed a major diversion. Well, I can tell you that it worked, and seven years later, I'm still "diverted!"

Post Thanks / Like

My friend saw an article in the local newspaper about belly dancing. she called and found out the only way she could start was to find 7 other people to form a class as all the classes were filled. She dragged me down to the lesson as one of the 8 and I've been dancing since them. I found out I could do it and didn't have to be a certain shape.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my work colleagues had seen an ad for BD classes in the local rag and wanted to go, but not by herself....guess who went along with her! I had no clue about BD, so it was a complete eye opener to me. One class was enough for me to want to go back....my friend never did though!

Post Thanks / Like

for me it was because I wanted to gain more self-confidence and to loose some weight so guys can like me

Post Thanks / Like

I fell in love with the music and wanted (needed) to know how to move to it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a thread about how we got started, if you do a search. Its about 5 pages, at my last check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic
    had admired BD and loved anything to do with Egypt - history etc, and saw an ad about BD classes and the rest is history!
    Mine started with history, literally! My history teacher was a bellydancer and asked me one day if I wanted to join her extra-curricular bellydance class. She is now, 7 and a bit dance-years later (have known her for 11) my much loved and trusted dance-mentor, friend and colleague

Edited to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightdancer
    There is a thread about how we got started, if you do a search. Its about 5 pages, at my last check.
    Oh hey, you're right

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast