Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched youtube videos, fell in love, plus wanted to lose weight, and it looked fun to do!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Rachel Brice on youtube and as an 18 year old who was heavily into the goth scene at that stage, her aesthetic really resonated with me. Now I love and have an appreciation for oriental styles too!

I was also underweight and unfit, so taking bellydance classes got my mother off my back for worrying about my health.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time in college, a classmate had wanted to check it out and I non-committally told her "yeah, sure, next year we'll do that belly dance class". Well, we did it, had a blast at the student recital, then we graduated and I went to Ottawa where I didn't dance at all. I really missed it, but would even go abroad for a few years and come back before I picked it up more "seriously". My motivation is that I enjoy dance as performance art, and I want to be a dancer with performance opportunities (my soul doesn't *need* to make my living dancing, I'd be happy even just to be in a student troupe or do really cool presentations at the local hafla once in a while).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    There is a thread about how we got started, if you do a search. Its about 5 pages, at my last check.
    Maybe the two threads could be merged?

Post Thanks / Like

When I get a chance to hunt down the other thread, I will combine them. Thanks for the suggestion, Ariadne.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on Facebook asked the me the same question today. Here's what I wrote on my friend's wall:

Q: "What got you into bellydancing?" A: When I was a little girl, my first exposure to bellydance was from old '50's movies, and I loved it so much, I wanted to become a bellydancer when I grew up. I would try to do head slides and shimmies, but hey, I was only about 4 years old or so at the time! xD However, my grandfather discouraged me from learning any kind of dance, so for many years, I forgot all about my dream.

Then in 2001, Hubby ran across a couple of bellydance instructional VHS tapes at Academy sporting goods store, and showed them to me. My desire to learn bellydance came flooding back, and he bought me the tapes! ^^ I eventually collected a few more, and practiced with them, but didn't get the opportunity to take actual classes until 2007 when a local dance studio offered a course in bellydance. I jumped at the opportunity, and haven't stopped dancing since!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where the other thread is so...

I accidently stumbled across it on Youtube and instantly had the urge to do it- it was like I NEEDED to do it. Weeks went by and I could not stop thinking about it. I also love the costuming and how it's a way for me, as an adult woman, to play fantasy dress up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    I accidently stumbled across it on Youtube and instantly had the urge to do it- it was like I NEEDED to do it. Weeks went by and I could not stop thinking about it.
    That's my story, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I love to dance

Ever since I starting shakin' it as a little girl to the Lambada song I have had a thing for hip-shaking dance forms. Latin dance, belly dance, even modern dance... I love it all! ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoleDanceABCs View Post
    Ever since I starting shakin' it as a little girl to the Lambada song I have had a thing for hip-shaking dance forms. Latin dance, belly dance, even modern dance... I love it all! ^_^
    On an off note, I love Polynesian dancing as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast