Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I thought we had a thread about this, but can't find it - It'll be around somewhere
    Yeah, I think we've had several, but can't find it at them moment myself either.

Ah! Found it!
    http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...lydancing.html
    Last edited by Daimona; 05-05-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

As a child I wanted to be Princess Jasmine. As an adult I still want to be Princess Jasmine. That pretty much sums it up, really.

Ok, but seriously. I started for the usual reasons I suppose - I'd always wanted to dance, I love non-western cultures, love 'ethnic' clothing (whatever that really means), and I finally managed to convince a friend to come with me when I saw a local BD class advertised.

Post Thanks / Like

Clever lady maybe I need new glasses. I think I'll join the threads up. Hope you don't mind Geoff, as the one I am moving this thread too is not that old.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Clever lady maybe I need new glasses. I think I'll join the threads up. Hope you don't mind Geoff, as the one I am moving this thread too is not that old.
    ~Mosaic
    Not a problem

Post Thanks / Like

I started belly dancing for three main reasons: I absolutely love anything Egypt (I'm an Egyptologist), I think women look absolutely beautiful when they belly dance and I wanted to increase my confidence and connect to my feminity, and finally I am a follower of the Godess Hathor

Post Thanks / Like

Wellll... I'm a physicist, and my working environment is about 90% male.
    I seem to think and act somewhat "male" most of the time - for example ignoring my emotions.
    For me, bellydance is a way to discover and learn to love my feminine side.
    Last edited by Manuela; 06-05-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So interesting to read the variety of answers here. For me it was just a sort of accident. I had free lunchtime fitness classes through my employer. I've always loved dancing, studied jazz, a bit of tap, tango, so I signed up for the bellydance course with Venus (Vancouver/Montreal) and it was love at first sight, like with yoga. It's been a little over two years now and I'm still such a noob but I'm learning so much and loving it. Last night I even went to my first real bellydance show! (Saida in Nice, France).

The 'getting in touch with your femininity' aspect is an interesting one. I'm not sure that's what consciously drew me to bellydance, I've been described as a feminine tomboy, I'm pretty low maintenance, but the girly-girl aspect to the dance is growing on me. Seems a good fantasy outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I used to bellydance a LOT before my eating disorder, so now I'm (mostly) recovered it, I'e taken bellydance up again and really helps my motivation to not to slip back into that way of life.
    That and, well, the simplest reason ever... Bellydancing looks so mesmerising and beautiful, I just had to learn how to move my body like that!

Post Thanks / Like

A friend had told me about it - she'd been involved for a number of years prior - and I thought it was too "risque" to try for a mom. It was intriguing, however, and right after my 2nd daughter was born I started attending beginner sessions w/my friend's instructor - which was very close to my home. I brought the baby along w/me for the first several months since she was either always sleeping or very content to sit and watch.

From that I loved the movement, and stuck with it until I gave birth to my 3rd child (I performed in a show 1.5 weeks before he was born), took a several month break from it after my son was born, then after seeing how my then newfound love - Zumba - butchered several belly dance movements, I wanted to come back and thus returned with a vengeance to BD. Going to my classes is also a good motivator to keep in shape.
    Last edited by astro_girl; 06-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have sooo many reasons I could post! I have lots of friends who do it, and always loved dancing with them. I also spin poi and fire fans, and wanted something to add to that. Along with the fact that Im a perfect hourglass figure and love my curves, and thought that belly dance was a great way to show them off!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast