Motivations to start bellydancing

teachermodel47

Hi I was curious of everyone's motivation to begin bellydancing. For me, it was because I wanted to unlock my sensual side and to increase my self confidence.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Needed to get out and about and have some sort of activity in my life ( had at the time recently returned to Australia after 11 years overseas), hated gyms with a passion had admired BD and loved anything to do with Egypt - history etc, and saw an ad about BD classes and thought it sounded like fun, but not being sure if I would like it decided to take a couple of private lessons, fell in love with BD from lesson one joined a class and 7 years later here I am still dancing & totally addicted.and the rest is history!
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Shanazel

I saw Anoush Kasabian perform in Fresno and belly dance became an instant passion that I've pursued for over thirty years.

Greek Bonfire

I saw some ladies bellydancing at a Greek festival. They were not in costume but just dancing off to the side to some music. At the time I had just broken up with someone and needed a major diversion. Well, I can tell you that it worked, and seven years later, I'm still "diverted!"

teela

My friend saw an article in the local newspaper about belly dancing. she called and found out the only way she could start was to find 7 other people to form a class as all the classes were filled. She dragged me down to the lesson as one of the 8 and I've been dancing since them. I found out I could do it and didn't have to be a certain shape.

lularaqs

One of my work colleagues had seen an ad for BD classes in the local rag and wanted to go, but not by herself....guess who went along with her! I had no clue about BD, so it was a complete eye opener to me. One class was enough for me to want to go back....my friend never did though!

Remus

for me it was because I wanted to gain more self-confidence and to loose some weight so guys can like me

Yshka

Mosaic said:
had admired BD and loved anything to do with Egypt - history etc, and saw an ad about BD classes and the rest is history!

Mine started with history, literally! My history teacher was a bellydancer and asked me one day if I wanted to join her extra-curricular bellydance class. She is now, 7 and a bit dance-years later (have known her for 11) my much loved and trusted dance-mentor, friend and colleague :D

Edited to add:
Nightdancer said:
There is a thread about how we got started, if you do a search. Its about 5 pages, at my last check.

Oh hey, you're right :)

staranise

I saw Rachel Brice on youtube and as an 18 year old who was heavily into the goth scene at that stage, her aesthetic really resonated with me. Now I love and have an appreciation for oriental styles too!

I was also underweight and unfit, so taking bellydance classes got my mother off my back for worrying about my health. :D

onela

The first time in college, a classmate had wanted to check it out and I non-committally told her "yeah, sure, next year we'll do that belly dance class". Well, we did it, had a blast at the student recital, then we graduated and I went to Ottawa where I didn't dance at all. I really missed it, but would even go abroad for a few years and come back before I picked it up more "seriously". My motivation is that I enjoy dance as performance art, and I want to be a dancer with performance opportunities (my soul doesn't *need* to make my living dancing, I'd be happy even just to be in a student troupe or do really cool presentations at the local hafla once in a while).

Shanazel

When I get a chance to hunt down the other thread, I will combine them. Thanks for the suggestion, Ariadne.

Farasha Hanem

Someone on Facebook asked the me the same question today. Here's what I wrote on my friend's wall:

Q: "What got you into bellydancing?" A: When I was a little girl, my first exposure to bellydance was from old '50's movies, and I loved it so much, I wanted to become a bellydancer when I grew up. I would try to do head slides and shimmies, but hey, I was only about 4 years old or so at the time! xD However, my grandfather discouraged me from learning any kind of dance, so for many years, I forgot all about my dream.

Then in 2001, Hubby ran across a couple of bellydance instructional VHS tapes at Academy sporting goods store, and showed them to me. My desire to learn bellydance came flooding back, and he bought me the tapes! ^^ I eventually collected a few more, and practiced with them, but didn't get the opportunity to take actual classes until 2007 when a local dance studio offered a course in bellydance. I jumped at the opportunity, and haven't stopped dancing since! :D

Belly Love

I'm not sure where the other thread is so...

I accidently stumbled across it on Youtube and instantly had the urge to do it- it was like I NEEDED to do it. Weeks went by and I could not stop thinking about it. I also love the costuming and how it's a way for me, as an adult woman, to play fantasy dress up!

PoleDanceABCs

I love to dance

Ever since I starting shakin' it as a little girl to the Lambada song I have had a thing for hip-shaking dance forms. Latin dance, belly dance, even modern dance... I love it all! ^_^