Referencing...

lizaj

A post which appears to be lost is the reply Rania made to my query as to why she was quoting "Wiki".
Her reply- a desire to be accurate and "No biggie? "I assume she thinks it's not important to quote your source of imformation.
Now I have no idea of the laws in other countries regarding "lifting info" without acknowledgement.
I also consider it to be a courtesy to state that "this is..." someone else's work.

And...Wikki...accurate..maybe..maybe not?:rolleyes:

So can I have others thoughts on the subject.
Shouldn't we always acknowledge when we lift directly from another website?
Should we do it at all?
There's an awful lot of "I heard that....." and other evidence-lacking statements.
No one is denying the right to anyone to express an opinion. It doesn't always have to be "Hard" facts all the time but isn't it better to have evidence and to to say from whence it came?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think it is quite OK to quote from another source if that source is acknowledged, even if it is wiki just as one would do with a book.

I did see she added 'wiki' after you called her on it, but no link which might be a good idea when from the internet.
~Mosaic

Marya

A post which appears to be lost is the reply Rania made to my query as to why she was quoting "Wiki".
Her reply- a desire to be accurate and "No biggie? "I assume she thinks it's not important to quote your source of imformation.
Now I have no idea of the laws in other countries regarding "lifting info" without acknowledgement.
I also consider it to be a courtesy to state that "this is..." someone else's work.

And...Wikki...accurate..maybe..maybe not?:rolleyes:

So can I have others thoughts on the subject.
Shouldn't we always acknowledge when we lift directly from another website?
Should we do it at all?
There's an awful lot of "I heard that....." and other evidence-lacking statements.
No one is denying the right to anyone to express an opinion. It doesn't always have to be "Hard" facts all the time but isn't it better to have evidence and to to say from whence it came?

Yes!

Marya

Aniseteph

If you are directly lifting a chunk of text to back up a statement/opinion then I think you should say where it's from - a) not to take credit for someone else's work, and b) so people can evaluate whether it's a credible source.

shiradotnet

I really, really hate it when people copy and paste entire paragraphs, or even entire articles from my web site into forums or blogs. I hate it even more when they don't bother identifying me as the source of their information.

I don't mind a copy and paste of a sentence or two, accompanied by a link to the applicable page on my web site for those who want more information. But it offends me when people paste my stuff without identifying me as the source. This is a form of theft. It is called "plagiarism".

I have worked very, very hard to acquire the knowledge that I have. I often spend many hours researching an article before I post it. Sometimes I even need to spend money to acquire some of the resources that appear on my site. And then I spend many hours arranging that information into a web page format. When people paste large amounts of my articles on other web sites without identifying me as the source, I feel violated. I feel as though they have stolen from me.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I really, really hate it when people copy and paste entire paragraphs, or even entire articles from my web site into forums or blogs. I hate it even more when they don't bother identifying me as the source of their information.

I don't mind a copy and paste of a sentence or two, accompanied by a link to the applicable page on my web site for those who want more information. But it offends me when people paste my stuff without identifying me as the source. This is a form of theft. It is called "plagiarism".

I have worked very, very hard to acquire the knowledge that I have. I often spend many hours researching an article before I post it. Sometimes I even need to spend money to acquire some of the resources that appear on my site. And then I spend many hours arranging that information into a web page format. When people paste large amounts of my articles on other web sites without identifying me as the source, I feel violated. I feel as though they have stolen from me.
I can understand that, and feel it is unnecessary to copy the whole page/article, a sentence or 2 with a link and the authors name is the correct and respectful thing to do. I have seen articles etc copied from someone's website without a hint of acknowledgement and that is just so wrong.
~Mosaic

nightdancer

It's plagiarism, pure and simple. It's academically dishonest not to cite, quote, reference, footnote, endnote, whatever adequately credits the original writer. To not give credit where credit is due is intellectual theft. But considering the source, I am not surprised.

Shanazel

I feel as though they have stolen from me.

That's because they have, Shira. They have stolen time, energy, emotion and art. Nothing makes me much angrier than someone who steals my written work and tries to pass it off as his or her own.