Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bust shimmy tutorial

My body shape is, to try and be positive about it, wiry. Shoulder shimmies look ugly on me and I want to learn to do a bust shimmy to see if that looks any better. (There's precious little bust to shimmy, it would be more of a chest movement anyway!)

I've seen some bust shimmy instruction that is a twisting of the entire upper back, including shoulders; on me, that still has my shoulders as the main event. Some dancers, especially those wonderful Golden Era girls, seem to do it with minimal shoulder movement and greater movement in the chest, without a fleshy wobble. That's the kind of movement I'm after.

Can anyone help with advice? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Fleshy wobble or not is down to your bra!!!!!

just relax your shoulders, lower them slightly, lean forward ever so slightly. The main bit is RELAX

Post Thanks / Like

<sits at computer trying out shimmies>

On me the opposite to what jenc says works best!

I keep the shoulders back and down and still in relation to the ribcage (ie. they just come along for the ride), then twist from the spine about where the bra strap is, chest lifted especially at the front with some tension in the underlying muscles (helps de-wobble), then I get a little controlled shimmy at the front of the chest but not over wobbly.

If the shoulders go forward it emphasises the shoulders more, the range of side-to-side movement in the chest is much less because it's closer to the pivoting point at the back, and the boobage wobbles more because it's not as supported. It definitely looks more controlled and refined with the chest up and boobs out there (but this is just on me - Your Mileage May Vary, as they say).

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, thanks two things to try, right now! I'll be late, I'll be late, for a very important date....but my boyfriend is used to that

Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't mean shoulders back! Sholders relaxed but still back. Slight lean forward of the torso, always remembering anyway that the bust should be slightly forward in regular egyptian stance anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom involve the bust much, just the shoulders in a gentle shimmy, I also slightly angle my torso so it is a "not-in-your-face" shimmy Took me a while to master just using the shoulders, but it does happen with practice. If you shimmy too hard/violently then the bust comes into play. For smaller women it is OK, larger chests then the girls take on a life of their own, that is why I tried to perfect the shoulder shimmy with little involvement of the bust!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    just relax your shoulders, lower them slightly, lean forward ever so slightly. The main bit is RELAX
    But not so far as to turn it into a stripper shimmy!

for smaller women it is OK, larger chests then the girls take on a life of their own, that is why I tried to perfect the shoulder shimmy with little involvement of the bust!
    OMG! Tell me about it. LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

the advice here is good, I have to tie myself down (up stairs) in order to really see my shoulder shimmy I am really Bust heavy so keeping them still is well, fun

Post Thanks / Like

Any time I move I do some sort of a bust shimmy and never mind the industrial strength bra.

I am more of a shoulder shimmy girl, but when I allow the girls center stage (so to speak) I put my shoulders slightly back and down and move my chest GENTLY from side to side, usually no more than 1-2-3, then on to something else.

I am having the best time imagining everyone sitting in front of computers all over the world trying out upper body shimmies.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, that bust shimmy instruction turns into an upper-arm-chicken-fillet shimmy on me...

Thank heavens for the shoulder-driven one

*no, Iris, your arms look fine! Ofcourse they do, what chicken-fillet..*
    Last edited by Yshka; 09-30-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast