bust shimmy tutorial

indrayu

My body shape is, to try and be positive about it, wiry. Shoulder shimmies look ugly on me and I want to learn to do a bust shimmy to see if that looks any better. (There's precious little bust to shimmy, it would be more of a chest movement anyway!)

I've seen some bust shimmy instruction that is a twisting of the entire upper back, including shoulders; on me, that still has my shoulders as the main event. Some dancers, especially those wonderful Golden Era girls, seem to do it with minimal shoulder movement and greater movement in the chest, without a fleshy wobble. That's the kind of movement I'm after.

Can anyone help with advice? thank you :)

jenc

Fleshy wobble or not is down to your bra!!!!!

just relax your shoulders, lower them slightly, lean forward ever so slightly. The main bit is RELAX

Aniseteph

<sits at computer trying out shimmies>

On me the opposite to what jenc says works best!

I keep the shoulders back and down and still in relation to the ribcage (ie. they just come along for the ride), then twist from the spine about where the bra strap is, chest lifted especially at the front with some tension in the underlying muscles (helps de-wobble), then I get a little controlled shimmy at the front of the chest but not over wobbly.

If the shoulders go forward it emphasises the shoulders more, the range of side-to-side movement in the chest is much less because it's closer to the pivoting point at the back, and the boobage wobbles more because it's not as supported. It definitely looks more controlled and refined with the chest up and boobs out there (but this is just on me - Your Mileage May Vary, as they say).

indrayu

Ooh, thanks :D two things to try, right now! I'll be late, I'll be late, for a very important date....but my boyfriend is used to that :confused:

jenc

No I didn't mean shoulders back! Sholders relaxed but still back. Slight lean forward of the torso, always remembering anyway that the bust should be slightly forward in regular egyptian stance anyway

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I seldom involve the bust much, just the shoulders in a gentle shimmy, I also slightly angle my torso so it is a "not-in-your-face" shimmy:D Took me a while to master just using the shoulders, but it does happen with practice. If you shimmy too hard/violently then the bust comes into play. For smaller women it is OK, larger chests then the girls take on a life of their own, that is why I tried to perfect the shoulder shimmy with little involvement of the bust!
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
just relax your shoulders, lower them slightly, lean forward ever so slightly. The main bit is RELAX

But not so far as to turn it into a stripper shimmy!

for smaller women it is OK, larger chests then the girls take on a life of their own, that is why I tried to perfect the shoulder shimmy with little involvement of the bust!

OMG! Tell me about it. LOL

goddessyasaman

the advice here is good, I have to tie myself down (up stairs) in order to really see my shoulder shimmy I am really Bust heavy so keeping them still is well, fun:lol:

Shanazel

Any time I move I do some sort of a bust shimmy and never mind the industrial strength bra. :lol:

I am more of a shoulder shimmy girl, but when I allow the girls center stage (so to speak) I put my shoulders slightly back and down and move my chest GENTLY from side to side, usually no more than 1-2-3, then on to something else.

I am having the best time imagining everyone sitting in front of computers all over the world trying out upper body shimmies. :dance:

Yshka

Hmm, that bust shimmy instruction turns into an upper-arm-chicken-fillet shimmy on me...:lol:

Thank heavens for the shoulder-driven one ;)

*no, Iris, your arms look fine! Ofcourse they do, what chicken-fillet..*

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

Ansuya teaches a sort of shoulder shimmy in her Hot Combinations video. I can't remember the name of the shimmy but you tilt back a little bit and move your shoulders like a shoulder shimmy yet it looks different.

Farasha Hanem

official member of the "itty bitty *COUGH* club"

For smaller women it is OK, larger chests then the girls take on a life of their own, that is why I tried to perfect the shoulder shimmy with little involvement of the bust!
~Mosaic

*sits at laptop and shimmies violently to see if her teeny little girls come to life---ends up disappointed* :confused:

Shanazel

Don't whine, ladies. At least you aren't in danger of knocking yourself out or causing permanent damage to surrounding walls and furniture when you shimmy.

indrayu

Don't whine, ladies. At least you aren't in danger of knocking yourself out or causing permanent damage to surrounding walls and furniture when you shimmy.

:lol: for the words but :shok: for the feeling!

I don't like the look of shoulder movements on me because with the protruding collarbones and veins, it looks more like an animated anatomical drawing from a medical textbook.

Shanazel

I suspect it looks a lot prettier than you think, Indrayu. I've seen many thin girls dance and haven't thought "animated medical drawing" yet!

I find the whole shoulder shimmy/bust shimmy thing confusing.

I've seen so many belly dance teachers teach a shoulder shimmy by moving the shoulders alternately - yet when they do it at speed, I've yet to see one who actually uses her shoulders.

By that I mean, none of them move their shoulders independently of the torso. If I asked them to hold a broomstick across their collarbone from shoulder to shoulder, it would sit flat throughout.

Maybe that's because most Sydney teachers have learned from the same sources and I'm just not seeing a representative variety.

Anyway, for me that kind of shoulder shimmy is best described as moving your shoulder blades alternately either side of your spine. If I slouch, I get a boob wobble - if I keep my shoulders down and back, I don't. And I'm a 14DD.