Shakiras Hair

Amulya

It's pretty hard to keep red out of colored brunette hair, at least that is what I was told by hair colorists. But I love red hair when it matches up well with a person's coloring.

I did a temporary hair dye once on blond hair and the red of that didn't come out anymore. Not that that was a problem for me, but cooler hair tones are much harder to create I think.

gisela

Super Moderator
I used to dye my hair like crazy. I just did it for fun. My hair was in a bob so it wasn't that much hair to deal with. I enjoyed changing my looks every now and then. It went from naturally blonde to chocolate, to darker brown, black streaks, red brown with blonde streaks, really black, very blonde, flaming red (and I mean really really RED :shok:) black again, orange, black with wide blue streaks, and all black for a long time, then dark brown for a long time. Now I am natural but my hair has turned auburn brown by itself.
Of all the colours the intense red and the blue was hardest to keep in the hair. The red got not as intense after one wash. but still looked red and nice. The blue quickly faded to a greenish yellow :(

Belly Love

Thank you :) I heard the opposite, that you can't get red out of your hair anymore. But with henna that is true, so it stays vibrant, just how I like it.

Oh, what I should have said was keeping it the right color- like it can fade to a different shade easier than other colors. But like you said, red is hard to get out! I once did my roots an auburn color by accident and when I went blonde 6 months later there was this slight ring of brassiness around my head! The colorist tried to tone it to even it out but couldn't :(

Amulya

You got to be careful with the roots indeed. Or the length can go wrong as well from color buildup.

Gisela, the blue ending up in sickish yellow doesn't sound too great! I once wanted to get my hair dyed from blonde back to mousy dark blonde and they had to make it a more coppery dark blonde in order to avoid it going green....:shok:

Greek Bonfire

I use a demipermanent hair color. The color takes a lot longer to fade and never turns red. I wonder if this is because there is no ammonia, unlike permanent hair colors.

I would love to have blue hair someday! I could match it up with my blue belly ring. :lol:

Last edited:

Rania

I use a demipermanent hair color. The color takes a lot longer to fade and never turns red. I wonder if this is because there is no ammonia, unlike permanent hair colors.

I debated on light brown or a dark brown with a purplish red tint to it. I have tone tat before, unfortunatly, It always end up burgendy with in 3 months. Then, I start to look a bit Irish..not that thats bad, but ya I want it to stay dark brown with the red tint

Greek Bonfire

I've been married to the same man for going on thirty years. Maybe that accounts for the extra long hair! :D

Could be. As for me, while not being married thirty years, I am one of those in the minority who has always been satisfied with my hair style and my hair color, mostly because it just works best that way.

LadyLoba

Greek Bonfire....you're blessed in the hair department! Everyone would be satisfied with our hair if it looked like that! :):)

LadyLoba

Shakira's Red Hair

I was going to start a new thread on this....but I didn't think the moderators would want a bunch of posts about one person's hair...so I just tacked it on to the discussion about her hair that is already started :).

I was wondering...has anyone seen pics or videos of her with red hair? And if so, is that henna?

Shakira's hair is hard to pin down in terms of what color is what...because a lot of her pics are taken on specially lit video sets that may make the color look different in the photo and because she keeps the length about the same mid back length....but she is always changing her color and texture.

My personal favorites are her red curly and straight and her very golden blonde straight hair looks.

But I've been a fan of hers for years and I have no idea which texture and color are her natural ones....the texture could be neither...she could have naturally wavy hair she straightens or curls to acheive different looks....and her color could be some color we haven't even seen...

Darshiva

A friend of mine from Argentina sent me a whole heap of Shakira before she became famous pics & vids, and the answer to your question is pretty much brown & straight.

ETA: And before you ask, this was 2 computers ago. No I don't have pics, but the youtube vids should still be there if you look for them.

LadyLoba

I found a few online....yeah...very straight and dark brown...so it's either left natural and dyed blonde or red, or permed and dyed when it's curly (or styled that way). I've found that if you have naturally straight hair and want spiral curls, the best way is to just put them in your hair when you fix it...with spiral rollers or a curling iron. With just the color here...on dark hair it's probably very very processed...so you'd probably have to have it colored and spring for a very deep conditioning treatment and an upkeep product or two, to get and keep this soft blonde color.

dinavienna

Yes, and as a former hair stylist and makeup artist, I do feel insulted. I studied hard and was one of the two top students at our school, passed my exams with flying colors,
As one of the moderators here in the Beauty and Fitness forum, I find your comments hurtful and insulting.

I feel I have to jump in here because this bugs me. I am a very infrequent visitor here and got attracted to this "debate" topic because I would consider getting Shakira's hair colour if my hair was not so black and if I had not damaged it badly with permanent curl, and regretted the decision back then. I was wondering WHAT this topic did in the debate forum though.

To start with the essence of the debate here, from an outsider's point of view:
Would you say chances are HIGHER the top graduates go to high end salons or small privately owned shops? Following trends in all other fields of education, high end institutions frequently collect the best graduates, attract them with superior salary, and this is why they get a disproportionate amount of top graduates in whatever field we can think of.

Do ALL top graduates go for the money? No, in all fields not all of them do. The top institutions frequently require you to give up your individuality more than smaller institutions, relations may be closer and better and more flexible with smaller business owners, women's childcare needs etc etc, some may feel like they "sell out" when going to the high end institutions. This may hold for the top consultancy companies as much as for beauty business, some top grads feel like they "sell their soul" when going to the top institutions, and money may not do the trick for them.
Does this mean there is no trend top graduates are snatched by high end institutions or the most powerful competitors in the market? From common business sense and knowledge that is VERY unlikely for the beauty industry as for any other industry.

If we accept common logic a disproportionate share of top graduates go to high end institutions also in the beauty industry, is the likelihood higher quality is higher there on average? If one believes school grades are a good proxy for skill, talent and knowledge, then definitely. You as an expert in that field seem to think school grades/being a top graduate means being good in one's job in your field of expertise, so I take your word for it (of course there is always the graduate that did not feel like working hard in college or university, but is the greatest talent of all - this is the exception rather than the rule, and I suppose especially in "hands on" educations/professions like in the beauty industry it is unlikely good results in education will not be a good proxy for good skill IMO, so I am absolutely with what you said in this regard here).

While there may be hidden gems in non-high end salons, from this logic alone your arguments against the poster seem unfounded and unfair to me. Sorry to jump in so bluntly, but in essence I believe she was right with what she said just following the most common business logic and human behavior, handing out information kindly to someone who asked for it, and -with all due respect - I am a bit startled you would have abused your power as a moderator to refer this to the "sauna" forum.

Greek Bonfire

My hairdresser is top of the line but she doesn't charge an arm or a leg. So yes, there are hidden gems. For some reasons, some of these hidden gems do not go into the high end because of all the other BS that can be a part of it. In addition. some of these high end hairdressers should've never been admitted into said high end because they tend to do what they want, make you feel stupid because you may have a very set idea, and got into that end because they were better at BS-ing than doing their craft. And I've met a lot of those. Sorry, but that label doesn't mean much to me, in my own experience.

Last edited:

Shakti

Hair color is tricky.I call this hair color 'Bronde'. there are about 3 colors here. Her roots are about a level 5 ash brown. I see mostly level 6 and seven with probably a level 8 highlight. You are going to need a double process more than likely. I would ask for darker colors underneath near your neck. Get foil highlights and all over color. Ash tones combat brassyness but if you add color to colorless hair, ie double processed (all color is removed from the cuticle of your hair) it should give you the tones you are looking for and not the yellow. anytime my hair is to brassy I ask for a toner with blue undertones, usually lasts 6 weeks.

Definatley a job for a person who specializes in corrective color.

I love blonde hair when it looks natural, this does not look natural it clashes with her skin tone. I like her blonder really, it is more of a contrast.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

My hairdresser is top of the line but she doesn't charge an arm or a leg. So yes, there are hidden gems. For some reasons, some of these hidden gems do not go into the high end because of all the other BS that can be a part of it. In addition. some of these high end hairdressers should've never been admitted into said high end because they tend to do what they want, make you feel stupid because you may have a very set idea, and got into that end because they were better at BS-ing than doing their craft. And I've met a lot of those. Sorry, but that label doesn't mean much to me, in my own experience.

I originally met my stylist at one of those expensive salons, but she got fed up with the owner and quit, and now does my hair from her house! Yay!

The salon I went to had people who JUST did color, and other people who JUST did cutting. I think the specialization allows for a person to really develop their skills in one area, and that often means more experience and even a better end result.

Also, we have a nice couple of chain stores in the Midwest, but I cannot get my hair cut, colored, and styled by them because their company policy prohibits appointments longer than 2 hours. I think it's a COMPLETELY stupid rule. I know some of the stylists that work at these salons and they are VERY good, and I wouldn't mind having them do my hair, but on average, my color cut and style takes 3 hours -- on a good day, and without any lowlighting. The higher end spas and salons around my area do not have time limits for appointments. Everything is a la carte, so if I want to spend all day in the chair, getting every service they offer, nobody would complain.

Greek Bonfire

I originally met my stylist at one of those expensive salons, but she got fed up with the owner and quit, and now does my hair from her house! Yay!

The salon I went to had people who JUST did color, and other people who JUST did cutting. I think the specialization allows for a person to really develop their skills in one area, and that often means more experience and even a better end result.

Also, we have a nice couple of chain stores in the Midwest, but I cannot get my hair cut, colored, and styled by them because their company policy prohibits appointments longer than 2 hours. I think it's a COMPLETELY stupid rule. I know some of the stylists that work at these salons and they are VERY good, and I wouldn't mind having them do my hair, but on average, my color cut and style takes 3 hours -- on a good day, and without any lowlighting. The higher end spas and salons around my area do not have time limits for appointments. Everything is a la carte, so if I want to spend all day in the chair, getting every service they offer, nobody would complain.

To me, my hairdresser is as personal as my gynecologist :lol:;)

Belly Love

Also, we have a nice couple of chain stores in the Midwest, but I cannot get my hair cut, colored, and styled by them because their company policy prohibits appointments longer than 2 hours. I think it's a COMPLETELY stupid rule.

Could you imagine someone rushing to finish your hair, especially if it was going through the coloring process :shok::shok::shok:
That's what I don't like about many inexpensive places (whether it's a hair salon, clothing store, etc.) their customer service often times sucks. I'm not talking in regards to employees (although that can be true as well) but more so company "rules". I recently went to some teen store and they told me I couldn't bring shoes in the fitting room with me to try on with the dress, I had to try them on outside of the fitting room... and they were tied together. This consisted of my having to come out of the fitting room in the dress, sitting on the grimy floor, trying to put one 5" heel on all while trying to hold my fitting room door open with one hand so it didn't lock behind me! Then when I got to the checkout there were no refunds and only credit if I returned it within 14 days only with receipt.

Not only do you get to sit on soft plushy chairs at high end places, but they put the shoes on your feet for you! (Which I actually hate, but it's nice that it's offered) Btw, Nordstroms has the best return policy EVER. So if you ladies find something you like and they have it at Nordstroms, buy it there. There is no return/refund date and you don't have to have the receipt.

Whoa, I went way off topic... Okay, the lady at the high end salon I go to, once spent 7, I repeat, 7 HOURS on my hair once to get it to the right shade. I believe there were 4-5 people who worked on it all together while I drank champagne and ate cookies :)

Last edited:

LadyLoba

I like Aveda salons...the whole atmosphere is so relaxing. I did have one bad experience in one...but it was the case of a stylist being in a huge hurry for some odd reason.

LadyLoba

Shakira's Bob

I'm loving Shakira's new straight, dark brown bob. It suits her much better than the blonde color..