Hello!

Belly Love

Hi Ladies ...and gents? :)

I came across belly dancing about a month ago by accident (youtube vids that popped up) and I'm obsessed! OBSESSED!

How have I not discovered this years ago??? I feel like this is what I was born to do! I have tried out many careers in my life (in my 30's) and I have NEVER felt like this about something. I spend all of my free time watching online videos, reading history, lurking on forums ;)...

I have no professional dance experience, but I would love to do this professionally one day! I'm a naturally a good dancer - and I've always been big on the hip movements! My only dance experience is raving in my teens (I would teach myself and my friends these ridiculous moves and routines) and go-go dancing in nightclubs, which I've done for years. I'm used to dancing for hours and having to entertain people, so that's easy for me, and I modeled for years so I understand grace and posture, but I obviously don't know belly dancing movements. I can do the hip lifts/drops and figure 8's easily, as I've done this many times in gogo dancing, but all the other stuff is foriegn to me. I tried to teach myself to shimmy today... not too bad...

So, I already made a couple hip scarves (with fringe and beading) a skirt and bought some jewelry... I'm not sure why, I guess I could have just bought some practice stuff, but I like to create things and just couldn't help myself! I found a class to start taking in the next couple of weeks too. I've spent countless hours already studying the different styles of dance and costume. I am starting to be able to tell the differences and whether or not someone is really good.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. I'm happy to be here and can't wait to learn from all of you!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Betty. It sounds like you are addicted before you start:lol: Glad you found the forum, we love those with the addiction, to the dance and all things sparkly! Good for you making some bits and pieces yourself - well done!:clap:
~Mosaic

Belly Love

Thanks Mosaic!

I've read about pro dancers being annoyed with women who take a few classes and then think they can turn pro, but that's not me! I totally get that it could take me YEARS to become pro, but I'm going to study, train and cosume as much knowlege as I can, not only because I'm in love with it, but because I want to be really good at it.

Greek Bonfire

I've read about pro dancers being annoyed with women who take a few classes and then think they can turn pro, but that's not me! I totally get that it could take me YEARS to become pro, but I'm going to study, train and cosume as much knowlege as I can, not only because I'm in love with it, but because I want to be really good at it.

That's the spirit!