Newby says Hello

I don't want to be a professional dancer, just fell in love with belly dance. Would love to learn how to make those beautiful costumes though, plus to dance as well as a professional. I have a little 5 dollar cd that I just tried, loved it, so I know some of the basic moves. Just wanted to say hello before I scour your forums for cool things on belly dance, so, Hello!

Belly Love

Hi! I'm new here too (but my goal is to become a professional some day ;))

They have lots of good tips here on how to make your own costumes. I've been wondering myself the differences between bra tops that are homemade and look pro and the ones that don't. After reading the ladies comments on here about what makes a top look unprofessional, I totally understand.

Great forum!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum, I am sure if you have any questions on costuming that someone will have an answer or be able to point you in the right direction. I wish I had the patience to make my own costumes, my patience with sewing runs as far as putting up hems, or fixing something:D even then it take take me an age to get around to doing even that!
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

Hello there! Once in love, it's almost impossible to fall out. And I started out like you but then I just had to go further than being an aficionado. Watch out - it pulls you in!!

Yeah, I've even done my 15 sit ups for the day trying to tame my belly a lot! Just when I can dance well enough to show my new belly off, I can have a decent costume finished and waiting to be danced in. I'm practicing the belly rolls and all. This is a nice obsession, and it's truly love! Thanks for the replies. I've been in the costume forum, looking around and found some nice topics already!

Sewing's not my forte, but I've done a few things with a sewing machine, some in cross stitch, would love to try beading, have a belt beading loom, very small, never got into that at all, but am willing to pick it up for another try. I can crochet and was surprised my coin hip scarves were crocheted, I definitely can crochet stuff like that. I also have a set of zills, but haven't practiced the correct rhythms yet, but it says them on the cd, so I'll practice it again and every other day I get a chance.

Nice to be welcomed for sure, thank you for the nice advice, and the bras are what I was worried about the most. I'm thinking of the halter type until I can figure out what to do about them!

Thanks all the good advice and welcoming!