Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad Losing confidence...and technique

I am going through a bad patch of 'my dancing sucks and I'm no good and why bother doing this any more'....
    I need some tips on how to gain my confidence, how to improve and how NOT to feel overwhelmed by it all!
    I dream dancing, I watch dancing, I try to practice - but somehow what I feel in my body doesn't match what I see in my head, and I've lost my sense of what works and what doesn't.
    Any ideas? it's been going on for about 4 or 5 months...

Post Thanks / Like

Aaawww sorry you are feeling this way Bronnie. I think we all plateau now and then and feel like there hasn't been any development for a long time.

I don't know how to fix it. Some ideas are:
    -Don't perform in a while, just focus on taking classes and watching performances, taking it all in and enjoy it- until you long to get on stage and try things out, and just want it so much that the confidence stuff HAVE to get in the background.
    - Perform at every single event possible and accept that it will be "not great but ok" for a while.
    - Work through your dance issues analytically, like work on your arms only (or whatever) intensely for a month and watch your progress, and thrive on it. Find the feeling inside that there can be improvement.

I struggle with some of the same things you mention every now and then but I don't have a perfect way of fixing it. These are just ideas and perhaps something makes sense to you, some not.
    Sometimes we move away from the plateau without doing anything in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Aww, I feel your pain!!! I hate that sense of utter frustration, feels like a big fog you can't quite make it through!

There's no easy answer, but whatever you're doing, try something different.

Also, if you have been really pushing yourself hard over the last few months straining to "get better" in order to get through the fog, perversely I find that I need to drop all my goals for a little while and just re-connect with the enjoyment. My "training" sessions become free-dance sessions with no aims.

I recently discovered the joys of dancing to music that you were into when you were a 'baby belly dancer', it really gave me a big boost to revisit those old songs but also to realise how much more I could make of them now! Worth a shot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eshta View Post
    I recently discovered the joys of dancing to music that you were into when you were a 'baby belly dancer', it really gave me a big boost to revisit those old songs but also to realise how much more I could make of them now! Worth a shot!

Oooh interesting, I'm going to try that too. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain -- I just danced in front of one my idols and COMPLETELY screwed it up.

Why is it that a good performance gives you a high for maybe a day or two, but a bad performance depresses you for a month?

What people told me is to watch a lot of inspiring videos. Maybe old black and white clips, modern Turkish dancers -- something you wouldn't ordinarily watch. Ranya Renee says going to experience OTHER forms of art is really important for dancers, so maybe take some time to go to an art museum, or try your hand at simple pottery, or attend a concert?

I don't have much advice, but here's a virtual hug (in the form of a dancing banana).:

Post Thanks / Like

You could be bored too and not even know it, maybe the same venues, the same people, the same locations. And yet you can't always go jetting off somewhere else so maybe you should sit on the sidelines for awhile and watch what others are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have that coming on every now and then... Often the development is smooth, that watching yourself day-to-day may really frustrate you because you don't see any progress. Maybe every fortnight you could have an improvisation session that you also film. Then the progress should be much more noticeable.

Or, you could dedicate a week on something that you're really good at - be it zills or improvising to taksims or just attend a class that is lower than your regular class level. This way you'll realise what a long journey you've been through and learn to appreciate the technique and skills and knowledge that you've got.

Or maybe it is just time for a break? Take a few completely dance-free days. Don't dance, don't go to class, don't listen to the music, don't even come to the forum Do something else that you enjoy - go for a hike, hang out with non-dance friends etc. And then you can come back to your old things with a fresh look.

Hugs!

Post Thanks / Like

There is also nothing wrong with just taking a break. I've needed to do that at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much ladies! The practical ideas are just what I'm looking for... and I really appreciate your support too. I especially like the idea of doing another dance form or a workshop outside of my comfort zone - maybe that will remind me of how much I have learned, and what it is about my dance that I do like. And I love the idea of dancing to some of the early music and trying out what I can do now that I couldn't originally. Working on specific components too is a great idea - and fits in with what I've been trying to do with drilling variations on one or two movements.
    Can we add to this? Now I know I'm not the only one (did I ever think I was?!!) maybe we can all put some thoughts down... Another of mind is to just 'noodle' for a while and let my body do the talking rather than thinking too hard, does anyone else try this?

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could give you all rep, but I can't - so please will you accept this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast