Rising Star Agency

Nabila Nazem

Has anyone done any listing with this site? Some dancers that I respect are listed with them, and their job listings seem very appealing. It's a rather large chunk of change to list with them, however, and I'm skeptical. OTOH, 'ya gotta spend money to make money sometimes, and I don't want to miss out on any opportunities.

Any input? Thanks.

International Talent Agency "Rising Stars" - Talent Agency Booking Management for the entertainment service organizations

Salome

Administrator
Actually, I am not the director of that agency. I do some agent work for them in the states, these days mostly for cruise ship production shows so Jazz, ballet etc. dancers... The agency is legit, has many clients in many countries. But you should know that it is not up to the agency whether you get work or not. A client will make a request, for a belly dancer for example, and the agency will show the client the dancers on the books that fit what the client is asking for and the client makes the selection. So what you are paying for is the opportunity to be auditioned. Not everyone pays for a listing but they do this with some of the performers.

Nabila Nazem

... So what you are paying for is the opportunity to be auditioned. Not everyone pays for a listing but they do this with some of the performers.

This seems strange to me. Why make some people pay and others not? I'm missing something, obviously. RS seems like just another listing service like GigMaster, PartyPop, etc. I'm very interested in getting jobs like the ones this agency seems to be oriented towards, but now I'm even more skeptical.

Any other input? Anyone?

Salome

Administrator
I was on the books with this agency for many years. And after a time was married to the owners brother so you are not going to find anyone else that knows more about them than me.

To be honest, they do pay listings if they are not sure the person applying is marketable. It takes time and money to add someone to their website. If they feel really confident that the artist applying can be booked, that is one thing and those people don't pay because they'll probably get hired and the agency will then make a commission. If they feel that the quality of the performer, or what they are doing etc. is not a fit for the market they are still willing to take that person on but at the cost of the performer, not the agency.

Belly Love

This is similar to the modeling industry. If an agency is interested in you, but not 100% sure your going to get work, they make you pay for your first photo shoots, etc. yourself. If they are positive your going to get work and are anxious to have you sign with them, they pay for your photoshoots for your book/comp card themselves and take it out of your paychecks from jobs you've booked.

The arts/entertaiment industry can be so different from how 9-5 jobs work. An artist is usually treated differently by who reps them depending on how in demand they are (or will be).