Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Legal aspects in UK

    Hello!

    Im a spanish belly dancer instructor, I came to UK in september and i would like to impart classes here in London, but I have a important question,I don't know if you will be able to answer me but I need to ask somebody! I have been talking with people who said me that here in UK it is necessary a licence to teach dance classes or something similar, and to pay for the music used in the classes and the performances. Is it true?
    I would like to know all the legal aspects to be instructor here and if I need some permission to dance in restaurants or similars in England please!

    Best wishesss

  2. #2
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ney View Post
    Hello!

    Im a spanish belly dancer instructor, I came to UK in september and i would like to impart classes here in London, but I have a important question,I don't know if you will be able to answer me but I need to ask somebody! I have been talking with people who said me that here in UK it is necessary a licence to teach dance classes or something similar, and to pay for the music used in the classes and the performances. Is it true?
    I would like to know all the legal aspects to be instructor here and if I need some permission to dance in restaurants or similars in England please!

    Best wishesss
    Some dance teachers have taken training courses but by no means all. If you are employed by a college or health club they may ask for some kind of proof of expertise. They may also ask that you are checked and passed by the Criminal Records Board. You might be asked to prove that you have First Aid Training. But setting up on your own, if you have the right to work in the UK and you have as a European surely, there is nothing to stop you.No licence I have ever heard of.
    One thing you must do is get Public Liability Insurance. Our dance association NADA www.nada.co.uk is starting up an insurance scheme that will cover you for belly dance and fusion and tribal teaching. If you would like details PM me and I will put you in touch with the Insurnce co-ordinator.

  3. #3
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    PS The best way to get restuarant work is to join a dance agency like Welcome*-*Taste Of Cairo

  4. #4
    Member onela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NS, Canada
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The UK doesn't have a licensing fee to use recorded music for performance art? Here in Canada we have SOCAN. I thought that the UK loved making people wait in lines and apply for things and pay fees (tv licensing fees anybody?).

  5. #5
    Premium Member Aniseteph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    4,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Someone has to have a license to use recorded music (just look at all the legal notes on a CD or download where they restrict what you are allowed to do with it...).

    I found this: PPL licence but I don't know if they are the only licensing people, and I wonder if in many cases the employer/venue has the license and that covers you - a studio might have a license and you'd contribute towards it with your hire fees. I don't know how it works in practice.

    PS Onela - we don't do so much waiting in lines nowadays, they've shut all the good queuing venues like local post offices. Instead you get to thrash about with annoying websites where you can't find the answer, or being on-hold or lost in the automated switchboard with call centres. Progress!!!!!
    Last edited by Aniseteph; 10-15-2010 at 08:21 AM.

  6. #6
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onela View Post
    The UK doesn't have a licensing fee to use recorded music for performance art? Here in Canada we have SOCAN. I thought that the UK loved making people wait in lines and apply for things and pay fees (tv licensing fees anybody?).
    If the premises has the licence you're OK but that's not a licence to teach just to pay recorded music. If you hire a room you have to check. I used to teach in a church hall and they mostly have them. Dance schools and colleges should have the licences.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, Uk
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    If the premises has the licence you're OK but that's not a licence to teach just to pay recorded music. If you hire a room you have to check. I used to teach in a church hall and they mostly have them. Dance schools and colleges should have the licences.
    Ok yes, in the church you hire they have the licence to play recorded music, but you have to pay them for it besides de rent to hire the church?



    Thank you for all answers, they are very useful to me, I'm very lost here and I need work and people said me a lot of different things

  8. #8
    Member onela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NS, Canada
    Posts
    430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post

    PS Onela - we don't do so much waiting in lines nowadays, they've shut all the good queuing venues like local post offices. Instead you get to thrash about with annoying websites where you can't find the answer, or being on-hold or lost in the automated switchboard with call centres. Progress!!!!!
    What?!? England is going to the dogs, what is it without the institution of the queue? In my day, it was charming to be a Canadian queueing to use the post office or get a seat in the tea room Where else would English people tell me about their cousin who lives in Ottawa, or sing the Lumberjack song from Monty Python at me? I don't recognize England any more, I don't know if all this so-called progress is worth it :P

    @lizaj I would have thought that music licensing programmes would want all persons using recorded music to be individually licensed as a bit of a cash grab, nice to know that it is not necessarily the case.

  9. #9
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ney View Post
    Ok yes, in the church you hire they have the licence to play recorded music, but you have to pay them for it besides de rent to hire the church?



    Thank you for all answers, they are very useful to me, I'm very lost here and I need work and people said me a lot of different things
    You have to check they( the church's hall ) have the licence. You only pay them rent . They will need the licence for all the events they hold like dances and socials nd other classes. They shouldn't want to pass on the cost directly just within the rent . these are the kind of issues that haave caused venues to raise their rents.

  10. #10
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onela View Post
    What?!? England is going to the dogs, what is it without the institution of the queue? In my day, it was charming to be a Canadian queueing to use the post office or get a seat in the tea room Where else would English people tell me about their cousin who lives in Ottawa, or sing the Lumberjack song from Monty Python at me? I don't recognize England any more, I don't know if all this so-called progress is worth it :P

    @lizaj I would have thought that music licensing programmes would want all persons using recorded music to be individually licensed as a bit of a cash grab, nice to know that it is not necessarily the case.
    Woof woof...
    Ruff Ruff

    No I have never been asked for an individual licence...the licence has on it..Recorded music is played on the premises
    I do know teachers who have ought the licence ut that was ecause there wasn't one n the hall they were using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •