Bringing it home: Introducing belly dance where there is none

shiradotnet

Man, living in a big city, I take these things for granted... there are like, 6 Starbucks within a 20min walk!

When I lived in Sunnyvale, California (near San Jose), there were 4 Starbucks within a 20-minute walk. Also within 20-minute walks were a Persian restaurant, half a dozen Indian restaurants, 5 sari shops, 5 Japanese restaurants, an Afghani restaurant, an English restaurant, a bunch of fast food places, a Thai restaurant, and more.

Now, I live in a residential neighborhood of a metropolitan area with a population around 80,000. Within a 20-minute walk there is only a Subway. Period. Then again, there's also a 200-acre beautiful wooded park that is lovely for going for walks, so it isn't all bad!

I realize this is off topic, but it reminds me of a story of what it was like to life in California...

And, when I lived in California, one time when my husband and I were crossing the street walking home from a Starbucks, he was hit by a car when we were in the middle of the intersection! We were crossing WITH the walk signal, and when I turned around to see if he was catching up with me, I saw him sprawled on the hood of a moving car that was making a right turn, hanging on for dear life, while the idiot driver had his head turned to the left to see if there were oncoming cars that might interfere with his right turn. He hadn't even noticed the pedestrian who had been right smack in front of him when he started his turn! So I started screaming my head off, standing in the middle of the intersection and pointing at this guy's car. The driver heard me screaming and gave me a puzzled look, wondering why a random pedestrian was screaming in the middle of the intersection. Then he looked where I was pointing and saw my husband clinging to the hood of his car. Finally, he stopped and my husband was able to let go. The good news is that his injury was only a bit of mild bruising on his knees. And now, here's the funny part - the car that hit my husband was a police car, being driven by an on-duty officer!

Elfie

Returning to the topic....

There's an article on my web site about how to survive when you're in a city that doesn't have qualified local teachers:

Learning To Belly Dance: If No Local Teacher, Or The One That's There Doesn't Have The Knowledge You Seek

Haha! Shira, I've been modeling my practice sessions this way since before I joined this web site... and it's because of your web site! I have had Shira.net bookmarked since I first started trying to learn this dance! I LOVE your site. :) And I used your circle skirt pattern to make the skirt my daughter practices in. I have plans to make one for myself once I get a sewing machine (just one more month... it's my husband and children's Christmas gift to me... I told 'em it was LOL). Hand sewing hemlines is tough stuff!

Thank you for hosting Shira.net. It made it a lot easier for someone in my situation to try to learn how to dance. I was really stuck... I wanted to learn but thought I never could because of where I live. And when I happened upon your site, it made me take the leap and just try to do it on my own. Now that I've been home studying for several months, though, I'm feeling the need for a teacher. At least every so often, just so I can get feedback from a trained eye. I'm hoping that the one I've found will be receptive to my proposed class... and if not, I can always "workshop" until I find someone who is. :)

da Sage

Hi Shira,

I was nearly hit by a car that was doing a left turn and looking at oncoming traffic, not the crosswalk. I realized the driver didn't see me, so I tried to move as fast as I could. However, I couldn't just dash out of the way, because there was ice on the ground -about 2 inches of it. If I moved too fast, I would fall and go under the wheels of the sedan...and possibly be dragged down the street. So I was teetering and balancing and moving along the ice, planning to try to roll up over the hood of the car if he hit me, which would be tricky, as I'm rather short. I was thinking "go over the hood, not under the car...go over the hood, not under the car!". Luckily the driver finally did see me, but between my teetering and his slight correction of his turn (he couldn't brake too hard on the ice, either), he missed me within inches.

Living in the city, I wear very brightly colored outer clothes in winter. I enjoy the colors, but it's also for safety. Seriously, if a driver fails to see my bright green coat and my bright yellow purse while I'm crossing the street, it's because s/he wasn't looking! It's too easy to overlook pedestrian wearing dark clothes when you're driving.

da Sage

Back to topic

Hello ladies (and gents?),

I just purchased Neon's new DVD: Bellydance First Steps for Total Beginners, and I'm looking forward to working my way through it. I was looking for an old thread where people posted their daily DVD practice, but couldn't find it. Can anyone point me to it? I'd hate to start a new thread if I don't have to.;)

I'm thinking about starting my studies over with a beginner class with a live teacher, too. I think I could use some posture correction.:shok:

Belly Love

Now, I live in a residential neighborhood of a metropolitan area with a population around 80,000. Within a 20-minute walk there is only a Subway. Period. Then again, there's also a 200-acre beautiful wooded park that is lovely for going for walks, so it isn't all bad!

And, when I lived in California, one time when my husband and I were crossing the street walking home from a Starbucks, he was hit by a car when we were in the middle of the intersection!

I'm temporarily in a residential neighborhood for a couple of months and it took a few weeks to get used to. I actually have to drive to get coffee :shok: and food :shok: it's very pretty though and I'm going to miss the quiet walks...

Good to hear your husband was okay :) A few months ago a little old man saved my life in Chicago. I was in the middle of the crosswalk and someone yelled out, "Watch out!" Then I felt someone yank me backwards. A car was flying through the red light- had this 80something year old man not pulled me back, I would have been seriously injured, if not killed. Thank God for that sweet little man :pray:

nigma

Gather enough ladies to start a class and invite a teacher to drive the 2h to teach you once a week. :)

Wish you luck!

That is exactly how it all began for me, eighteen years ago :) although our teacher drove up fortnightly.

TiffaniAhdia

Elfie,

I teach Egyptian style in Huntington, WV right now. I would be willing to travel there maybe once a month and maybe even set up a YouTube for your group for the other weeks if there is enough interest.

Let me know if you are interested and maybe we could work something out. :)

Elfie

I would definitely be interested. The Princeton/Bluefield area is ripe for the picking. There are tons of ladies down here. I think the class would go over well with the younger >40 group at first. But there is room for growth in the classes. You wouldn't have any competition at all and we have so little diversity in the dance area of the arts that I expect interest would be high.

Let me talk to my friends - see who is willing to commit 100% to classes and be willing to pay up front. I'd like to know who you studied under, how long you've been teaching and dancing, and how much classes would be so that we could get a full payment ready for you. The recreation center rents rooms fairly cheaply, I haven't gotten a call back from the dance studio yet or the fitness center - but I would foot the bill for the room as well. I'd make sure to provide mileage as well.

Send me a private message here - at your convenience of course - and we'll talk about it, see if we can get something slated for around January? That'd give some of the girls I know time to finish up their Christmas stuff... holiday time takes lots of mula... and most have young children they'd need to get baby sitters worked out for. If we can find something every one is comfortable with, then I'll be a happy camper! :) I've wanted to learn for so long already. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope we can get something worked out. Thank you!! :)

LadyLoba

This is an awesome thread....and one I can relate to...where I am there isn't anything...and there is that attitude that bellydancing is the same thing as stripping. I'm like Elfie...I don't judge anyone who does do stripping, pole dancing, etc...I'm not a fan of it personally, as I just don't find it sexy and know I would not feel sexy doing it....but if someone else wanted to, I would not put them down for doing it. At the same time, whether you love both belly dancing and stripping, hate both belly dancing and stripping, or love one and hate the other...they aren't the same thing. But where I live, every last one of you who has been dancing and teaching for years could personally come here and explain that.....and people still wouldn't believe it.

That is great that despite that kind of atmosphere, you found some people...and a sizable group....that wants to belly dance! :D

West Virginia...I'm almost originally from West Virginia! My hometown is Cokeburg...it sits within the state of Pennsylvania, but it's a lot closer to West Virginia than it is to most of the rest of the state of PA.

Elfie

Wanted to share with you ladies that, thanks to BDF, I have found a teacher that is willing to travel into the area to teach lessons. Because of this ghastly winter weather, I'm thinking Spring would be the best bet to start the classes. I'm sending out forms to the other ladies who want to do the classes - it's awesome. So thank you! :)

Darshiva

That's wonderful, Elfie. I've been waiting to hear a followup on this one and I'm pleased to hear you have a teacher willing to come to you now.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Fantastic news!:clap:How exciting for you all. So glad your question on the forum found you a teacher.
~Mosaic

Elfie

Thanks everyone. I am excited... she even teaches the style I'm interested in learning. Which is fantastic.