Teachers! a question about student numbers.

staranise

I'm curious, how many students do you need to cover your studio hire costs?
(for those who don't own their own studio of course!)
Also, what are your minimum numbers?

I'm at 2.6 - so 3 in practicality, before I can even start to consider the overhead costs like advertising and insurance. I wouldn't run a course with less than 5 students. It really should be 8 so I can make a profit, but I need to get my name out there so I'm doing it for love until things pick up!

~A

lizaj

I'm employed and there has to be 10 on enrolement to continue the course. If I hired the local studio where we groups practise, I would need 3 to make a tiny profit and 4 at least 6-8 is fine and I'd get more than I eran as an employee. But I like someone else working out my tax and advertising etc..I work 24 weeks for quite low pay but I get holiday pay!

staranise

if there was a studio around to employ me, I'd snap that up in a second! Holiday pay... lucky you! :D Is that your primary income?

lizaj

if there was a studio around to employ me, I'd snap that up in a second! Holiday pay... lucky you! :D Is that your primary income?

No I'm on a state pension and teachers' occupational pension. What the BD teaching does is pay for my festivals and workshops and maybe some costuming.

Pleasant dancer

I'm the same as Liz with my adult education classes, they need around 10/11 to run the course. However, in my private classes, hiring a hall or studio I need around 4 students to cover the studio costs (these vary quite a lot), and I usually say a minimum of 10 to pay me a basic teaching rate. If I have 15 students I'm doing well financially! (so to speak. Of course, then you have to take into account your insurance, PPL licence etc.:D

staranise

I'd love to earn enough money to cover my workshops! I've spent... erhum... a few grand on workshops this year alone.

Shanazel

I teach at the city recreation center. Smallest class allowed is officially nine people. I have actually taught as few students as six and as many as thirty-two.