Short Hair..How short is to short

Greek Bonfire

And watching some of those pro basketball players where so many of them shave their heads, it's glare, glare, glare. But it beats a bumpy scalp.

Yame

I have very long hair and don't plan on cutting it anytime soon. As a child, I was always forced to cut my hair very short, so I guess now I'm rebelling ;)

I don't think short hair looks good on me, but some women can really pull it off. It looks gorgeous and exudes so much confidence. I wish there were more belly dancers out there sporting the short hair look!

Rania

I have very long hair and don't plan on cutting it anytime soon. As a child, I was always forced to cut my hair very short, so I guess now I'm rebelling ;)

lol me 2! I have worn my hair short in my Adult and teen years, but Im very anti pixie, still. i can't ever imagine a pixie on myself

Greek Bonfire

I don't think short hair looks good on me, but some women can really pull it off. It looks gorgeous and exudes so much confidence. I wish there were more belly dancers out there sporting the short hair look!

I found this clip of Nadia Gamal with short hair. Sorry for the link - I still haven't figured out how to embed correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chani

Thanks for the compliments (blush) - I have just celebrated my 46th birthday.

It's what we call here a hair fall or a pony tail wig. I'm not sure if it is real or acrylic hair but it seems even more realistic now that it's a bit old and has some flyaways and isn't too perfect. You need to have the minimum hair to make a bun to secure it to (mine is no more than a stub) and it helps to not wash your hair before wearing it so it doesn't slip out but I haven't had mine budge even with Khaleegy head rolls. I love that I can scrape my hair back and put it in literally in a minute. I see some tie on but mine is attached with a claw grip like this:

BLACK 9CM HAIR CLAMP/ HAIR CLAW/ HAIR GRIP CRAB LARGE (eBay item 160493206825 end time 13-Nov-10 07:26:02 AEDST) : Clothes, Shoes Accessories

The hair is cleverly arranged so that the grip is completely covered adn you can wash and conditionand brush it as real hair.

Here is a similar hair fall which has a most interesting series of dogs with toupees on it on the same page which I don't understand??!!??:

16'' wig extension claw clip Ponytail Hairpiece hairdo (eBay item 260659107961 end time 01-Nov-10 19:39:04 AEDST) : Clothing, Shoes, Accessories

My hair is quite grey (started greying in my teenage years) so when I purchase hair dye I take my fall along to colour match but even when it has been quite a different colour for some reason people always think it's my real hair. Maybe this is becasue I used to have long hair for most of my life so I move my head as if it's mine.

As well as for dancing we have used it for lots of hillarity. My FIL who is completely bald enjoys plopping it on his head with a cap on the top and has us in stitches. We have also dressed the dog up with it - she's so tolerant the love.

I think mine was $40 with postage and it's now 3 years old and very much used. The othe radvantage over a full wig is for sword work you can still feel the sword whereas with a wig not so much.

Nailah_Siti

I am so glad I found this thread. I was wondering what I can do with my hair during performances (hopefully sometime soon). I am unfortunately cursed with the hair that takes a millennia to grow. Apparently a lot of black girls have this problem (hence all the weave). I cut it Halle Berry short back in 2007 and have been growing it ever since. It is FINALLY at my shoulders. I used to wear a clip in fall in high school show choir performances but was worried that if I tried to flip my hair while dancing it may fling off lol. Are the falls you use drawstring or clip or tie?

Reen.Blom

I guess the hair has also to go with the rest of costuming? Kind of odd to see a military or exotic hair cut with an evening gown.... :)

However wigs and falls can really help to change the image, one day you are blonde next day a redhead? :) Also if you are a dancing pro your venue might have certain requirements and simply not hire a dancer that does not 'look' like they expect to, same goes for competitions...

My hair just does not grow past middle of shoulder blades, :( otherwise I would have it to the floor :)

LadyFatima

I have short hair, and to be honest. . .I absoluely hate it LOL
Back when I was a kid, I always used to get compliments on my long, thick hair. But for some unknown reason, my hair starting falling out when I was about 12 or 13 years old (I'm 20 now) and since then, I've never been able to grow my hair back to the length it was. It comes just barely to the nape of my neck now and I can't stand it.

I'm a total tomboy normally, but like someone else pointed out, having long hair gives that bit of feminine touch that I really like (again, not to say that having short hair can't be feminine. I know plenty of masculine men who have long hair, and they look great! ^_^)

I don't think there's anything wrong with belly dancers having short hair (IF that's what they truly want and they are comfortable with it) Me on the otherhand. . .I'm seriously considering investing in wigs, at least for my performances. My BD character or "persona" is supposed to be a complete 180 of my real personality: girly, cutesy, coy, playful, etc. . .(actually I really enjoy that part of it lol) but I feel that having long hair would just help me have more confidence in my performance, but again, that's just me and my personal take on it.

By all means, belly dancers should have whatever style makes them feel happy :)

LilithNoor

I had hair almost to my knees when I began dancing, but because i was a total novice and knew more about headbanging than hair tossing, I didn't really make any connection between the two.

I discovered khaleegi about three weeks after I cut my hair to chin length!

Not gonna lie, I miss long hair (mine is back to my bra strap now), but more for the way it felt and the compliments it got than for anything to do with dance. Plenty of people have pointed out that it's not the length, it's what you do with it that counts. Plus there are always wigs (although give how often i change colour that could get expensive!)

Too short for me would be chin-length or above. I've tried it before and it just makes my face look like a pumpkin. But if I thought I could rock it, i totally would!

Shanazel

I love the feel of long hair against my skin. Mine is lower-hip length now. Too short for me is anything shorter than waist length. :D

Farasha Hanem

I had hair almost to my knees when I began dancing, but because i was a total novice and knew more about headbanging than hair tossing, I didn't really make any connection between the two.

I discovered khaleegi about three weeks after I cut my hair to chin length!

Not gonna lie, I miss long hair (mine is back to my bra strap now), but more for the way it felt and the compliments it got than for anything to do with dance. Plenty of people have pointed out that it's not the length, it's what you do with it that counts. Plus there are always wigs (although give how often i change colour that could get expensive!)

Too short for me would be chin-length or above. I've tried it before and it just makes my face look like a pumpkin. But if I thought I could rock it, i totally would!

You're a head-banger, too? RAQ ONNNNN!!! :D :dance:

I love my long hair, too, although it's not as long as I'd like for it to be. :( It'll only grow down to an inch or two past my belt line before it's growth cycle ends and naturally falls out. :( Plus, it's so darned curly that you really can't tell it's true length. :/

I think I have what some people have referred to as "angel hair." It's curly to the point of being fuzzy, so I never use a blow-dryer unless I'm sick, or if the weather is down in the single-digits. Anti-frizz serums work well for me; my favorite so far is "Proclaim Glossing Polish" with olive oil.

Last edited:

Imeera

I think short hair is fine, I don't greatly like boy short but thats just my opinion. I quite have long hair and still trying to grow it to the small of my back or past it if I can. But as belly dancing is conserned, hair length doesn't matter, not alot does, the dancers skill does and thats the important part :D

Farasha Hanem

I think short hair is fine, I don't greatly like boy short but thats just my opinion. I quite have long hair and still trying to grow it to the small of my back or past it if I can. But as belly dancing is conserned, hair length doesn't matter, not alot does, the dancers skill does and thats the important part :D

Oh, yeah, I agree with that. :D I just like my hair long! :dance:

I did try short hair twice in my life, the last time when I was about 38. The style was cute when first cut, but my hair grows so fast that within three weeks, I look like a bush baby. :confused: It took so much upkeep, I finally gave up and grew it out again. :rolleyes:

Imeera

I did try short hair twice in my life, the last time when I was about 38. The style was cute when first cut, but my hair grows so fast that within three weeks, I look like a bush baby. :confused: It took so much upkeep, I finally gave up and grew it out again. :rolleyes:

:lol: I have the opposite problem! I have quite fine hair. So I have had short hair all my life, so long hair has been a kind of dream for me. So at age 16 I was determined to try. I kept it trimmed but every time I went they chopped loads off, so now I go in and cut off split ends indervidually. Its annoying work, esspecially as my hair is blonde and they are hard to spot, but its better than bascialy staying at bascially the same length the whole time :rolleyes: I love my long hair, I just hope it keeps growing :pray:

Sherezade

Just like Imeera, my dream is to have long, moistured hair. At the moment, mine reaches my chest, which is not bad. My problem is too much volume (I'd look like a lion if I didn't take after it every day :lol:) and then dry points. This makes me have to have it cut every now and then and somehow, some hairdressers tend to cut more than they're told.

But back to the topic, I admit I don't like to see women with their hair too short or even shaved (like Sinead O'Connor), but as long as they feel good about it and it suits their face and head shape, why not? As far as bd is concerned, I like seeing hair dancing and waving with the movements, because it looks very feminine, just like the dance itself. If hair is too short and therefore still during the dance, I must say it doesn't look so appealing to me. But it's just my opinion.

goddessyasaman

I'm for long hair, really long, I'm still letting mine grow it's just above my butt, I want it way longer, I was born with a lot of hair and when I say a lot I mean a lot, like it was killing me:shok: it was wraped around my neck about 4 times that the doctor thought it was the cord:shok: it's crazy but ture:D, so I can't go without my long hair, the women in my family (and the men for that matter) are know for long hair my mothers hair drags the ground and my grand mothers hair was the same way, so I'm going in that direction too:D so to short :think: would be anything above the shoulder, But me myself anything not mid back.

Greek Bonfire

Same here - I was always getting it cut! Plus my hair line on my neck is low so it grew out like a guy - I had to shave it! It's much easier to keep it long and with having curly hair, the weight of my hair (waist length) pulls out some of the curl so that it has a nice wave instead.

I saw in the most recent issue of the Bellydance Store some models with short hair and it looked great. Not for me, but the models look really good. In fact, my some time dance partner has really short hair so we really don't look alike at all!

Last edited: