Short Hair..How short is to short

Farasha Hanem

:lol: I have the opposite problem! I have quite fine hair. So I have had short hair all my life, so long hair has been a kind of dream for me. So at age 16 I was determined to try. I kept it trimmed but every time I went they chopped loads off, so now I go in and cut off split ends indervidually. Its annoying work, esspecially as my hair is blonde and they are hard to spot, but its better than bascialy staying at bascially the same length the whole time :rolleyes: I love my long hair, I just hope it keeps growing :pray:

To get slightly off-topic for just a moment, have you tried searching for a stylist in or near your area that specializes in long hair, or who would at least listen to you?

Imeera

To get slightly off-topic for just a moment, have you tried searching for a stylist in or near your area that specializes in long hair, or who would at least listen to you?

I did have one. They are really good, knew me scince I was about four :lol: She always asked me if I was growing it and I said yes but said she "had" to cut loads off to get all of it to the same length, she did ask me if it was okay and it was. Maybe I didn't go back enough so she had to? But if I am growing it why go back frequently? But I realised how much it set me back when I moved to Uni and went looking for a cheap hairdresser (and couldn't find one in the end, they are so expencive!) and realised how much my hair had grown and how much they would cut off to get it to the same length. It was in a bad state too but I found out what I was doing wrong (washing it too much, keeping it loose so there is no strain on it, and it needed a little search and destroy to get rid of split ends and that was it) and now its so much healthier, but just growing really slowly :rolleyes:

Back a little bit on topic: You see the origonal dancers of the dance with long hair. So I think people feel belly dancers should have long hair because of the allure of mystery and sensuality of the dance, long hair just suits that original image. Though I feel that short hair doesn't take away that, it adds a different feel though. A cuter and more playful feeling and I would say slightly more modern, but still doesn't affect it badly.

gisela

Super Moderator
You see the origonal dancers of the dance with long hair. So I think people feel belly dancers should have long hair because of the allure of mystery and sensuality of the dance, long hair just suits that original image. Though I feel that short hair doesn't take away that, it adds a different feel though. A cuter and more playful feeling and I would say slightly more modern, but still doesn't affect it badly.

actually, Samia, Tahia etc all had, if not short hair, then at least an up-do. They look great.

Greek Bonfire

I think the main reason why long hair is usually associated with bellydance is because for millenia, women were either not allowed to cut their hair or strongly discouraged from cutting it. Also, it's pretty hard to do a hair toss with short hair :lol:

Imeera

actually, Samia, Tahia etc all had, if not short hair, then at least an up-do. They look great.

They do! At their time is was very fashionable to have that kind of hair. But I ment the more ancient ties of belly dance, before thoes two amazing ladies! :D

Last edited:

Imeera

I think the main reason why long hair is usually associated with bellydance is because for millenia, women were either not allowed to cut their hair or strongly discouraged from cutting it. Also, it's pretty hard to do a hair toss with short hair :lol:

I think its more cultural than that they were not allowed. More like the option to cut their hair short didn't even cross their minds. Its only now they are not allowed or discouraged. It is a more modern thing for women to have short hair, like wearing trousers.

gisela

Super Moderator
oh ok, I always think of these two as the original ladies of this dance. I guess it comes down to definition once again.

Imeera

oh ok, I always think of these two as the original ladies of this dance. I guess it comes down to definition once again.

I agree with you. They are the "original" dancers when it comes to belly dance. But it wasn't belly dance as we know it before them but something very like it, do you know what I mean?

MariaAZ

She always asked me if I was growing it and I said yes but said she "had" to cut loads off to get all of it to the same length, she did ask me if it was okay and it was. Maybe I didn't go back enough so she had to? But if I am growing it why go back frequently.
Just a bit of thread drift for a moment; I too have very fine hair, and have been keeping it long for about seven years. It's the same length now as it's been pretty much the past years (about mid-back); not because I particularly like where it's at, but because it starts breaking at the ends. Hubby cuts my hair, and I've been trimming about every six-eight months. I think that could be the problem. I'll tell him to cut it back to where it's not thinned out, which usually means a good 4-5 inches. At that point, the ends will be pretty evenly thick and will grow out that way for many months before the ends start thinning out again.

This time around, my plan is to have the ends trimmed about 1/2 inch or so every two-three months, before the ends start thinning. I'm hoping the more frequent. smaller trimming will remove split ends and damage before they have the chance to get worse.

Greek Bonfire

Just a bit of thread drift for a moment; I too have very fine hair, and have been keeping it long for about seven years. It's the same length now as it's been pretty much the past years (about mid-back); not because I particularly like where it's at, but because it starts breaking at the ends. Hubby cuts my hair, and I've been trimming about every six-eight months. I think that could be the problem. I'll tell him to cut it back to where it's not thinned out, which usually means a good 4-5 inches. At that point, the ends will be pretty evenly thick and will grow out that way for many months before the ends start thinning out again.

This time around, my plan is to have the ends trimmed about 1/2 inch or so every two-three months, before the ends start thinning. I'm hoping the more frequent. smaller trimming will remove split ends and damage before they have the chance to get worse.

I do this. It gets rid of the split ends but the hair is still thinner at the ends. As long as they don't split, your hair will still grow.

MariaAZ

I do this. It gets rid of the split ends but the hair is still thinner at the ends. As long as they don't split, your hair will still grow.
The splits are my problem, I think. They start small then split higher and higher. I think they cause tangles, too, as freshly-trimmed ends don't tangle as much (I always wear my hair down) and the tangles cause breakage. I'm glad to hear regular trimming helps. In a way it sounds counter-productive to growing long; if I don't trim at all, my hair should get longer. Yeah, as long as the ends don't start breaking off :)

Amulya

Yes indeed: split ends can 'travel up', making the split end longer and longer. I cut mine off regularly to keep that from happening.

babybow

I'm not sure how it would on a belly dancer...hmm...the "bob" was invented though by a dancer lady, so for dance in general it is appropriate. I think traditionally you are supposed to have long hair though? Just from what I read.

Shanazel

Traditionally women are supposed to be the weaker sex and swoon at the sight of blood and stuff. :D Liberate the locks! Bob-wearers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your braids.

Greek Bonfire

Traditionally women are supposed to be the weaker sex and swoon at the sight of blood and stuff. :D Liberate the locks! Bob-wearers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your braids.

I hate to tell you how many men I've known who can't stand the sight of blood! :lol:

zahra

The wig options today really give excellent options. I just cut my shoulder length
hair to a short cut. I found a Raquel welch wig in a mid length and one in
a long length in a color that matches my own hair color perfectly.

Darshiva

Too short is shorter than suits you. Too long is longer than suits you. Best to go with the style that looks good on you & worry about other things.

Remus

I think a ''bob'' hairstyle looks cute. I modified a photo of Sadie, in Microsoft Paint, since I don't have Photoshop and I made her look with a bob hairstyle and it suits her nice.

Attachments

• Sadie bob hairstyle2.jpg
    Sadie bob hairstyle2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 68