Short Hair..How short is to short

Rania

Hey,

I wanted to make this post regarding belly dance and short hair. When I say short I mean it does not touch the bottom of your neck. With that said Im referring to booth medium, short and very short hair lengths.

I am taking belly dance seriouly and had considered wearing chin length hair, when i start to preform, of course Im considering shoulder lenth to.

In my opinion these short hair styles would be flattering on a belly dancer. Some short cuts..noo but these ones ya. THat my opinion on it anways.

How many of you out there dance with short hair? What do you think of short hair on a belly dancer?

Samia Gamal had somewhat short hair. Granit, most modern belly dancers have long hair, its not the 1920s; yet there is nothing wrong with being differn't? ;)

Last edited:

Amulya

Those are cute haircuts, definitely suitable for belly dance. I think if a dancer wants something different for once, they can wear a wig. But nothing wrong with short hair in my opinion.

Darshiva

I think a dancer should go with what suits HER (or him), not what she/he thinks suits bellydance. As the other thread will testify, no matter what you do with your hair there will ALWAYS be someone who disagrees with you about what style is bellydancy, so you might as well throw your hands up in the air on that one and just go with what looks prettiest on you.

Belly Love

Oh no, you did not bring up this subject!!! I'm kidding.

Okay, I'm going to print my words very carefully ;) - I love long hair all the way to pixie cuts outside of BD, but when it comes to BD, I have a personal preference for long hair (mid/lower back). With that said, in my opinion, I think shorter styles can look really cute and work just fine on the right person- especially if there is adornment in the hair.

If I had short hair for BD, I would want a little length just for the feminine appeal. (Not that super short hair can't be feminine- I'm not saying a woman can't be feminine with super short hair!) I just find that short hair with a little length that could possibly hang in your face while dancing is attractive- like the Kim Kardashian pic you posted.

For tribal fusion - I personally don't think it matters what length the hair is at all.

And while you definitely want hair that suits you, I can understand wanting hair to suit BD as well. If your doing a show and you don't feel right about your appearance being cohesive with what your doing (hair or otherwise) your going to feel uncomfortable. I think you can have both.

Last edited:

Shanazel

One of the cutest dancers I ever saw had a modern version of a pixie haircut- it suited her pretty face perfectly. When she danced in an ensemble that executed a hair toss, she smiled sweetly, rolled her head with the other girls, and pulled the movement off beautifully with less than an inch of hair.

I, alas, cannot do hair tosses despite my several feet of hair. The chiropractor took a single look at my x-rays and said, "You are NOT doing hair tosses with that neck, are you?" :lol:

Belly Love

I, alas, cannot do hair tosses despite my several feet of hair. The chiropractor took a single look at my x-rays and said, "You are NOT doing hair tosses with that neck, are you?" :lol:

Oooh, I've been dying to ask this question and you just reminded me! When I flip my hair, I slightly lift my neck and the hair flips on it's own. Believe it or not, this was a technique that took me time to learn! When I watch BD, the dancers are usually moving their necks & heads in a much more drastic circular motion- is this because this is the only way they know how to flip their hair, or is it because this is they way it's supposed to be done?

Oh man, I'm going off topic a bit... short hair- uhm, how short is too short-ankle length!:lol:

Greek Bonfire

I think if short hair looks good, then it doesn't matter what they style or the length, as long as it's pretty. Of course, hair tosses wouldn't look as good and many dancers with very long hair use it as part of their dance style (including yours truly). I have very long hair because it is my personal choice, but many dancers, including Samia pictured above, looked great with shorter hair. However, somehow I can't imagine Fifi without very long hair - it's like separating yin from yang! :lol:

Chani

My hair is very short at the back but to my jawline at the front. It is just enough to pull back and tie up in a very teensy weensy pig tail which is enough to attach my hair fall to. Then with a nice scarf tied up or a headband the short part at the back it tucked in. Voila - short hair for everyday, long hair for dancing - any my fall is very, very long - to my bum. Everybody always thinks it's real and I get so many compliments on my glorious locks. I like that it makes me feel different, the weight and look of it, really gets me in performance mode but for every day I do'nt have the hassle of caring for long hair. The hair fall can be worn upside down for a shorter unlayered look or the other way for a layered very long look.

Here is a photo of it on. I don't have a pic of it off but my hair is in a bob and short to the hairline at the back.

Rania

As the other thread will testify, no matter what you do with your hair there will ALWAYS be someone who disagrees with you about what style is bellydance, so you might as well throw your hands up in the air on that one and just go with what looks prettiest on you.

Exactly someone will always disagree with you hair, style, costume choice, music choice, may I dare to say some people even certain ethnic groups should be excluded for belly dance. yikes. of course I don't think that, and highly incourage diversity, and uniqueness in the belly dance world.

Belly love I agree Im not into buzz cuts or pixie cuts on a belly dancer,it does not look bad but i would not do it. I want at least a bit of hair, like the k kardashion style, the one I posted on Velma Kelly is the shortest I would want:p However im really curious about seeing the belly dance with a pixie cut Shanazel mentioned.

However that hair "cleo" style is super cute but seems to be a hair style that flatters only certain faces. I used to wear it, got lots of compliments, some people told me it flattered me some said it did not hmmmm.:confused::confused:

Chani is it a weave, wig or an extension? Your right it does look like it would be your hair. Your very pretty to chani, you said your 40ish something, on another pst? you look allot younger, depends on the pic, any where from 22-27 :)

Greek Bonfire

To each is own I guess haha :p

now we need a third thread...how bald is to bald :p

we can debate it you want to wear a peach fuzz bald style, or a shiny bald style. The choice is you loooooooooool

Yes, and how many people have a smooth enough scalp? However, these women are gorgeous!

Amulya

To each is own I guess haha :p

now we need a third thread...how bald is to bald :p

we can debate it you want to wear a peach fuzz bald style, or a shiny bald style. The choice is yours loooooooooool

Haha! No they need to be powdered, otherwise you get a distracting glare, audience my get blinded...

Belly Love

I would love to have a pixie cut- blonde for sure. For some reason I prefer blonde short and brunette long... :confused:

The look of the bald ladies in the pic (I think it's fake and from America's Next Top Model?) would fit well with a fusion style, especially if they had adornment on their heads... I like how angelic their faces look- they really pop without the hair.

Last edited: