Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Hair..How short is to short

Hey,

I wanted to make this post regarding belly dance and short hair. When I say short I mean it does not touch the bottom of your neck. With that said Im referring to booth medium, short and very short hair lengths.

I am taking belly dance seriouly and had considered wearing chin length hair, when i start to preform, of course Im considering shoulder lenth to.

In my opinion these short hair styles would be flattering on a belly dancer. Some short cuts..noo but these ones ya. THat my opinion on it anways.

How many of you out there dance with short hair? What do you think of short hair on a belly dancer?

Samia Gamal had somewhat short hair. Granit, most modern belly dancers have long hair, its not the 1920s; yet there is nothing wrong with being differn't?

Last edited by Rania; 10-21-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are cute haircuts, definitely suitable for belly dance. I think if a dancer wants something different for once, they can wear a wig. But nothing wrong with short hair in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a dancer should go with what suits HER (or him), not what she/he thinks suits bellydance. As the other thread will testify, no matter what you do with your hair there will ALWAYS be someone who disagrees with you about what style is bellydancy, so you might as well throw your hands up in the air on that one and just go with what looks prettiest on you.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Darshiva.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, you did not bring up this subject!!! I'm kidding.

Okay, I'm going to print my words very carefully - I love long hair all the way to pixie cuts outside of BD, but when it comes to BD, I have a personal preference for long hair (mid/lower back). With that said, in my opinion, I think shorter styles can look really cute and work just fine on the right person- especially if there is adornment in the hair.

If I had short hair for BD, I would want a little length just for the feminine appeal. (Not that super short hair can't be feminine- I'm not saying a woman can't be feminine with super short hair!) I just find that short hair with a little length that could possibly hang in your face while dancing is attractive- like the Kim Kardashian pic you posted.

For tribal fusion - I personally don't think it matters what length the hair is at all.

And while you definitely want hair that suits you, I can understand wanting hair to suit BD as well. If your doing a show and you don't feel right about your appearance being cohesive with what your doing (hair or otherwise) your going to feel uncomfortable. I think you can have both.
    Last edited by Belly Love; 10-21-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the cutest dancers I ever saw had a modern version of a pixie haircut- it suited her pretty face perfectly. When she danced in an ensemble that executed a hair toss, she smiled sweetly, rolled her head with the other girls, and pulled the movement off beautifully with less than an inch of hair.

I, alas, cannot do hair tosses despite my several feet of hair. The chiropractor took a single look at my x-rays and said, "You are NOT doing hair tosses with that neck, are you?"
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I, alas, cannot do hair tosses despite my several feet of hair. The chiropractor took a single look at my x-rays and said, "You are NOT doing hair tosses with that neck, are you?"
    Oooh, I've been dying to ask this question and you just reminded me! When I flip my hair, I slightly lift my neck and the hair flips on it's own. Believe it or not, this was a technique that took me time to learn! When I watch BD, the dancers are usually moving their necks & heads in a much more drastic circular motion- is this because this is the only way they know how to flip their hair, or is it because this is they way it's supposed to be done?

Oh man, I'm going off topic a bit... short hair- uhm, how short is too short-ankle length!

Post Thanks / Like

Belly Love, a good topic for a new thread I'd love to hear some ideas on this topic!

Post Thanks / Like

I think if short hair looks good, then it doesn't matter what they style or the length, as long as it's pretty. Of course, hair tosses wouldn't look as good and many dancers with very long hair use it as part of their dance style (including yours truly). I have very long hair because it is my personal choice, but many dancers, including Samia pictured above, looked great with shorter hair. However, somehow I can't imagine Fifi without very long hair - it's like separating yin from yang!

Post Thanks / Like

My hair is very short at the back but to my jawline at the front. It is just enough to pull back and tie up in a very teensy weensy pig tail which is enough to attach my hair fall to. Then with a nice scarf tied up or a headband the short part at the back it tucked in. Voila - short hair for everyday, long hair for dancing - any my fall is very, very long - to my bum. Everybody always thinks it's real and I get so many compliments on my glorious locks. I like that it makes me feel different, the weight and look of it, really gets me in performance mode but for every day I do'nt have the hassle of caring for long hair. The hair fall can be worn upside down for a shorter unlayered look or the other way for a layered very long look.

Here is a photo of it on. I don't have a pic of it off but my hair is in a bob and short to the hairline at the back.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast