New here, just starting belly dance

LadyLoba

Looking back over my Intro Thread..

..and realized that although I did take one health/environment related break...at the end of March, I will have been belly dancing for five months!

That's certainly not a long time...but I am one of those people who either stays with something forever or gives it up entirely after about 6-8 weeks.

And this is a flaw of mine...but I normally don't stick with things that are not in the field of Language Arts: Literature, folklore/tales, fiction writing, play writing, non-fiction writing, linguistics, and translation/interpretation have fascinated me since I was about 8 years old.

But I hated all my acting classes and wished I'd majored in English in college instead of getting it in my head that Theatre would be similar but would prepare me better in terms of confidence, I dropped guitar over ONE bad teacher, lost interest in ballet before I even found a proper teacher, and decided against going back to school for one of the social sciences (social work) before the first class. I have also lost all interest in politics other than just being aware of current issues and knowing what each side says.

Other than language arts...the only things that have stuck as interests have been Sociology, Psychology, Law/Criminology, and History....and those four things don't offer much to do other than research/reading and earning academic degrees.

But here I am...past my 6-8 week "trial" period...and Belly Dance seems to be another one that stuck...and the only one that is not a Language art or a social science.

goddessyasaman

..and realized that although I did take one health/environment related break...at the end of March, I will have been belly dancing for five months!

That's certainly not a long time...but I am one of those people who either stays with something forever or gives it up entirely after about 6-8 weeks.

And this is a flaw of mine...but I normally don't stick with things that are not in the field of Language Arts: Literature, folklore/tales, fiction writing, play writing, non-fiction writing, linguistics, and translation/interpretation have fascinated me since I was about 8 years old.

But I hated all my acting classes and wished I'd majored in English in college instead of getting it in my head that Theatre would be similar but would prepare me better in terms of confidence, I dropped guitar over ONE bad teacher, lost interest in ballet before I even found a proper teacher, and decided against going back to school for one of the social sciences (social work) before the first class. I have also lost all interest in politics other than just being aware of current issues and knowing what each side says.

Other than language arts...the only things that have stuck as interests have been Sociology, Psychology, Law/Criminology, and History....and those four things don't offer much to do other than research/reading and earning academic degrees.

But here I am...past my 6-8 week "trial" period...and Belly Dance seems to be another one that stuck...and the only one that is not a Language art or a social science.

So glade to have you here Ladyloba, my sister in writing and belly dance, it would be awsome if one day we could meet for belly dance and to talk Writing, that would be awsome:D

LadyLoba

Yes it would! :D

I'm really glad I'm sticking with it...my only bad point is that I seem to have developed a knack for picking bad belly dance music....I always love what I hear on instructional DVDs and clips (can never find more than a musician listed on the credits) then when I go into itunes and look for "belly dance" music...I manage to find something that sounds nothing like it...I've only wasted maybe $8 so far doing that...but if I keep it up...

I need to work on building a good dance music library. I like rock, blues, country, and folk, esp "college rock" and I have a lot of good music to just sit and listen to...but I need some good BELLY DANCE songs..

goddessyasaman

Yes it would! :D

I'm really glad I'm sticking with it...my only bad point is that I seem to have developed a knack for picking bad belly dance music....I always love what I hear on instructional DVDs and clips (can never find more than a musician listed on the credits) then when I go into itunes and look for "belly dance" music...I manage to find something that sounds nothing like it...I've only wasted maybe $8 so far doing that...but if I keep it up...

I need to work on building a good dance music library. I like rock, blues, country, and folk, esp "college rock" and I have a lot of good music to just sit and listen to...but I need some good BELLY DANCE songs..

What kind of bely dance music do you like? from what style of belly dance? and do you like up beat, slow, fast, drum based ect? I can help you out I have a lot of music so let me know what kind of sound you like or think you would like to dance to and I will name some for you to list to and then see if you like it before you buy thats what I have always done:D

Max West

I forgot I had an account here! I have one at another belly dance site, and I was posting there a lot...but in one post, I used a word that means nothing bad at all in the US...but means a very bad thing in the UK...and instead of just saying "Hey did you know that word means this?" and giving me a chance to say "I am so sorry. I had no idea and meant no offense" and edit it...some people started basically lecturing me and "online yelling" at me over it! And then when I took offense at being yelled at, they started in on me more. It got to the point where little "digs" and admonishments were inserted in other threads...to the point that I was afraid to read anything anyone responded to me out of fear that it would be something else mean. I tried shifting the subject and joking around...at my own expense...they kept at me. I tried just bringing up a new topic....more harassment. I tried opening up to people...just gave them more fuel....when it got to the point that I was literally begging people to stop....I decided to come find another place to connect with others who are in to belly dance...

I just hope I'm not a complete pest....my level is VERY beginner...and I'm not exactly a graceful swan by nature....so anyone who will answer me might get treated to a round of "I STILL can't do this!" If I get annoying, or I want so much info that it becomes "teaching" and I owe you money...please...let me know :cool:

First and foremost, welcome.

It's all right - you're not the only one who's had bad experiences in forums or online communities. I'm an illustrator myself and I've taken a bunch of insults from art forums and communities over what I draw. Besides the usual sophomoric stuff, I've also been told that I draw like an inept two-year-old and one moron told me to light myself on fire. :naghty:

That said, getting better at your dancing isn't really any different from getting better at drawing and/or painting - practice, practice, practice.

I can't speak for anyone else here - but I'm not going to insult you.

Last edited: