Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Hagala

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Twist Hagalla / Twist-hagalla

Thanks for trying anyway! Silly computers...

Post Thanks / Like

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, here we go!

That kind of looks like the way my teacher does it...without the pigeon toes! xD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Often the moves are like Chinese whispers as one person learns it, modifies it and passes it on. But the version I learnt for hagalla, specifically, from both Denise Enan and Aida Nour had no outward movement in it. As both as these women learnt first hand I'll go with their version
    I know. I haven't had the pleasure of learning directly from either of these, but both of my two first teachers have learnt directly from Aida Nour and Raqia Hassan, so I guess the my version is either with them or in my head (but it doesn't explain why some of the other teachers I've been taking classes with have done the same as well)
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Yyyyyyyyeah...it's 5:22 in the morning, and I'm practicing my hagalas. When our teacher showed us how to do it, I remember her placing her feet in front of her body as she stepped, but I just now noticed in Jane's video that the dancers don't step in front of their bodies. I wore myself out just walking across the living room!

I'll now try the other way, as soon as I catch my breath! @__@

5:38---Edit: *raids the Halloween bucket for chocolate and goes to bed* -_-
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 10-24-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean by stepping in front of your body? Like a model-on-runway walk where you foot is in front of the other foot?

I think the pigeon toe thing probably comes from the hip rotation, when the hip goes a bit "over and inwards" the foot might turn too, but shouldn't. Could be the same problem some have with doing figure eights where their heels turn out when the hip goes infront.
    ... Is this making ANY sense at all

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Not sure what you mean by stepping in front of your body? Like a model-on-runway walk where you foot is in front of the other foot?

I think the pigeon toe thing probably comes from the hip rotation, when the hip goes a bit "over and inwards" the foot might turn too, but shouldn't. Could be the same problem some have with doing figure eights where their heels turn out when the hip goes infront.
    ... Is this making ANY sense at all
    *scarfing a mini Tootsie Roll* Yeah, that's it, just like a runway model! Only I keep losing my balance. I feel like a klutzy Marilyn Monroe, without the blonde hair and big...eyes.

I'm now officially depressed. *goes for another Tootsie Roll*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    *scarfing a mini Tootsie Roll* Yeah, that's it, just like a runway model! Only I keep losing my balance. I feel like a klutzy Marilyn Monroe, without the blonde hair and big...eyes.

I'm now officially depressed. *goes for another Tootsie Roll*
    Nooo! don't be depressed! Just don't step like that. I don't think I do. Practice in a way so you can keep your balance. When you've learnt the move then you can try and vary the placements of the feet so you'll have a bigger range of variations. There's no use practicing something in a way that means you can't even do the move.
    Example: why try to shimmy standing on the balls of your feet or on one leg if you can't shimmy OR keep the balance? Practice and learn the shimmy first, then get to the other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Gisela, making sense! Look at their feet in the clip.

The dancer in the middle has her feet hip width apart and parallel all the time.

The other two are doing biiig hip twists and it's coming out in their feet, either as a tendency to step onto a pigeon toed position (look at the last few steps the dancer on the left takes), or a twisting on the ball of the back foot as the weight transfers to the front foot. The dancer on the right puts her front foot straight but is twisting the back a lot. (Not having a go at them BTW, mine would probably be 100x worse with feet all over the place and my knees complaining, but fascinating to be able to analyse what's going on )

Post Thanks / Like

To me, this is hagalla...a move but also a style of dance that has lots of 'the move' in. Kazafy from Reda Troupe recently taught this style at JOY. The move seems fairly similar amongst all the Egyptian teachers I've studied with although Raqia occasionally sometime does it with emphasis on the up.

Post Thanks / Like

-_-;;; The Hubby just caught me practicing 3/4 shimmies while I was frying chicken. Laughter ensued.

I practiced the Hagala again before finally going to bed this morning, and it definitely felt like a 3/4 shimmy on the up, only without throwing the hips out, and this time, I left out the Supermodel runway step. I just stepped forward normally, and was able to keep my balance better. Thank you for the tip, Gisela. I'll practice this way for now until I get the movement in my muscle memory before adding the Supermodel twist-step.

@Kashmir: Is it correct for the hip to roll up just before you step down?

@Anisteph: Thank you for pointing out what the dancers' feet are doing in the video. I went back and studied all the clips a bit more, and saw the same thing you did in Jane's clip.

The reason why I was practicing the 3/4 shimmy (both on the down, and the up) is so that I make sure to feel the difference; I don't want to get my 3/4 shimmies mixed up with the hagala!

Whew! Learning the Angelika routine is even harder than I was expecting, and this is only the beginning of the dance! @_@
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 10-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast