Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Hagala

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Raqia Hassan demonstrating:

YouTube - Raqia Hassan

I learned the step from Dahlena a bit different than Raqia does it. Perhaps it a variation of the same step?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    I know. I haven't had the pleasure of learning directly from either of these, but both of my two first teachers have learnt directly from Aida Nour and Raqia Hassan, so I guess the my version is either with them or in my head (but it doesn't explain why some of the other teachers I've been taking classes with have done the same as well)
    Some years back I went on a folkloric intensive with another teacher. When we came back she decided to teach some of what we learnt to her students. My class backed onto hers so I'd see the end of her class. The first few weeks it was pretty much as we had learnt it - but about three weeks down the track she had seriously modified the moves to jell with her own personal style. For instance she naturallly did the 3/4 with an out. So guess what she taught her students? Many people find the down/up/down really hard and counter-intuitive so I'm not surprised if they modify it - consciously or otherwise.

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

While I've been in Egypt, I learned that the hagallah folkloric step as done in the North region of Egypt/Libya is just one (the one where your hip is going up and down in a round movement from the back to the front) and that all the other ones are just variations with the 3/4 shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranya View Post
    While I've been in Egypt, I learned that the hagallah folkloric step as done in the North region of Egypt/Libya is just one (the one where your hip is going up and down in a round movement from the back to the front) and that all the other ones are just variations with the 3/4 shimmy.

Yes!
    There is Haggala, folklore. That style is Beduin dance from northen Egypt - around Marsa Matrouh. That has down acsent. It also is asymmetrical step as the right side is emphasized.

Then you have normal 3/4 shimmy, which can be done with different variations, up, side, down etc. Many teacher call this step Haggala, but I wouldn't as Haggala is a dance of specific area with it's own rules ets.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a two part video where Argentine dancer Saida explain step by step this hagalla move, in the explanation she moves slowly but when dancing she does it faster, it`s in Spanish but but is worth to watch it.
    Part 1
    YouTube - Cursos Danza Del Vientre - Ritmo MaKsum - 1 de 2

part 2
    YouTube - Cursos Danza Del Vientre - Ritmo MaKsum - 2 de 2

Post Thanks / Like

Hagallah is a folkloric dance done by the Bedouin in Egypt and Libya. The step being referred to on the original post is what I know of as a "hagallah walk," which is a type of 3/4 shimmy that is commonly used in this dance.

There are many types of 3/4 shimmies, I think "3/4" just denotes that you are doing 3 different moves with your hips on the first 3 counts (whether it's up, down, side, in, whatever, in whatever order) and holding on the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Here is Raqia Hassan demonstrating:

YouTube - Raqia Hassan

I learned the step from Dahlena a bit different than Raqia does it. Perhaps it a variation of the same step?
    In this video, Raqia Hassan demonstrates a few variations of the 3/4 shimmy. It looks like what she is referring to as "hagallah" is what I would call a "3/4 shimmy." That is just a difference between her terminology and mine, though, not a matter of right or wrong.

I think the hagallah dance uses more than just one variation of the 3/4 shimmy (the one I call hagallah walk) anyway, perhaps all 3/4 shimmies came from this dance? She might be onto something here.

In any case, interestingly enough none of the 3/4 shimmies she showed is actually the one I would call "hagallah walk." I don't have a name for all the 3/4 shimmies that I know or do, but the one I call "hagallah walk" has an emphasis on the down, unlike any of the ones shown by Raqia Hassan. This might be what you've seen as well, which explains why this seems different to you.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the names.

Here's an interesting link about the Hagallah: Egypt2
    Last edited by Yame; 10-27-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Some years back I went on a folkloric intensive with another teacher. When we came back she decided to teach some of what we learnt to her students. My class backed onto hers so I'd see the end of her class. The first few weeks it was pretty much as we had learnt it - but about three weeks down the track she had seriously modified the moves to jell with her own personal style. For instance she naturallly did the 3/4 with an out. So guess what she taught her students? Many people find the down/up/down really hard and counter-intuitive so I'm not surprised if they modify it - consciously or otherwise.
    Certainly an interesting phenomena.
    I think I need to work more on the down/up/down version as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Outi View Post

Yes!
    There is Haggala, folklore. That style is Beduin dance from northen Egypt - around Marsa Matrouh. That has down acsent. It also is asymmetrical step as the right side is emphasized.

Then you have normal 3/4 shimmy, which can be done with different variations, up, side, down etc. Many teacher call this step Haggala, but I wouldn't as Haggala is a dance of specific area with it's own rules ets.
    So the version Raqia Hassan explains in the above mentioned video as haggala is basically a version of the 3/4 shimmy, but the one below is the basic haggala from the folklore (although, raqs sharki executed version).. I always wondered about that.

Last edited by Daimona; 11-04-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually neither is really.

Raqia Hassan makes variation of 3/4 shimmy.

The other video "Hagalla basic" is closer, but there should be much bigger movement down on the right side compared to the left. It should look more like limping step. That would be the basic haggala step.

If you have Raqia Hassan's vol 8
    I'm there.. She is making Haggala step in every video
    when she askes to make Haggala step, Iäm doing the folkloric step and the other student makes 3/4 shimmy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outi View Post
    The other video "Hagalla basic" is closer, but there should be much bigger movement down on the right side compared to the left. It should look more like limping step. That would be the basic haggala step.
    Outi, would you do me a big favor, please? Would you take a look at the troupe video I posted on the first page of this thread, starting at 4:25? What you describe kind of reminds me of what my teacher's troupe does, only instead of walking forward, they're walking sideways with it. Is this another variation of the haggala step? Thank you in advance for your answer.

I think I'm even more confused as to what is haggala, and what is not. I just know enough to know that it's not what the teacher calls "The Elvis Step." The reason why I mention this is because in my research last week, I ran across a video put out by Expert Village. They were supposedly teaching how to do the haggala step, but it was obvious even to me that that was not what they were doing. It looked more like what Fatima calls "The Elvis."
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 11-04-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Something like that. It's guite short piece (two seconds) and very far. So I can't see very well.

Of course with any step you can walk in any directions

Masrah (Finnish dance company) has VSH (!) from show called Oriental Express. There is a loads of folkloric dances, including one of the best Haggalas I have seen (I'm there . It's not the normal Reda style, but more down to earth folklore.
    It's only 5 euros + posting. Masrah
    The Masrah's videos are really good! Some of them are old and the level of the dance is not so high (in mid 90s), but there is a loads of things to learn. How to put troupes on the stage, different folkloric styles, costuming.... Most of them are VHS though.

There is also dvd made from old Qaumeya group VHS. They made two dvds from one VHS. Unfortunately they didn't include all of the original haggala
    Only the first part. That made me quite unhappy.
    https://www.hollywoodmusiccenter.com...guage=english&
    This has haggala and siwa dances

The other part from the original vhs is Egypt in Dance
    https://www.hollywoodmusiccenter.com...guage=english&
    Which has nubian and simsimeyya

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast