Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning: Arms!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Warning, Personal opinions coming up
    I liked that dancer but as we are speaking about arms, I actually didn't like the way she used her arms in the dance. I thought they were too sharp and angled. I like softness while still expressive and with energy. Like Nour. I did see some Nour inspired arms in the other dancer but not nearly as well executed. But hey..who does it like Nour? not many.
    I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Similar arm moves look very different on different arm types. You can't compare one dancer with long, thin arms doing a *drum solo* to a dancer with plumper arms (by comparison) dancing to soft vocals. Of course the first one will look "sharp" by comparison.

That's like saying a thin dancer isn't doing a move well because her moves don't have as much reverb as they do on a heavier dancer. Or saying a large dancer isn't doing a move as well as her thinner counterpart because she produces too much reverb.

Here's another one by Aida I really like
    YouTube - Aida - Baladi. Performance in South Korea,Seoul.

Nour is a great dancer, but what makes you think this specific dancer was inspired by her? I think it's a huge assumption to imply that this dancer was trying to imitate Nour but just can't do it as well. There are thousands of belly dancers out there who use their arms well that Aida could have drawn inspiration from, as well as dancers from other dance forms.
    Last edited by Yame; 10-28-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't Floreo hands Spanish/ATS and reverse floreo for other bellydance styles? Maybe I have that wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chani View Post
    Aren't Floreo hands Spanish/ATS and reverse floreo for other bellydance styles? Maybe I have that wrong.
    I've never heard reverse 'floreo' is for other BD styles before. I believe the 'floreo' originally came from Spanish & maybe other latin American styles of dancing, I could be wrong though. I don't know when or how the floreo found its way into BD though, maybe one of our historians will enlighten us
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I've never heard reverse 'floreo' is for other BD styles before.
    This is what I was taught in my Egyptian BD classes although she didn't call it that - just described it as the opposite of a Spanish Floreo. Now I am taking ATS classes and that is what my teacher has called them "Floreo" and "Reverse Floreo".

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard reverse 'floreo' is for other BD styles before. I believe the 'floreo' originally came from Spanish & maybe other latin American styles of dancing, I could be wrong though. I don't know when or how the floreo found its way into BD though, maybe one of our historians will enlighten us
    ~Mosaic
    I hope so!

RE: Starbucks... love the chocolate covered espresso beans. I never get many of what I buy though because my brother has a radar and appears when I have them... and gobbles them down! He has a problem. I suggested a twelve step program hehe. He respectfully declined, stating chocolate covered espresso beans are food of the gods and he happily indulges in anything celestially accepted. (Yes, we have a weird family.)

Post Thanks / Like

~Mosaic
    Most likely someone fused it into bellydance as we know it in the west. I use wrist circles but I avoid making them in a florio pattern. Unless you're doing a gypsy type or Rom dance, I don't personally like to see it in my own style which is predominantly classic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12