I can't go to classes or have a teacher...which DVDs do you suggest?

LadyLoba

I have asked this in other forums and had one person suggest Sadie's DVDs and others suggest Jenna.

I know a class or a teacher is how you really should learn...but that's impossible for me for a variety of personal reasons...I certainly will if I ever can.

But if you absolutely must depend on DVDs....Sadie or Jenna?

I already have Amira's 101 DVD and "Learn How to Bellydance" (the one with the ten absolute most basic moves on it only)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

But if you absolutely must depend on DVDs....Sadie or Jenna?

Um, Neither? lol.

Try:
Amazon.com: Belly Dance For Beginners: Leila, Michael Wohl: Movies & TV

(don't let the cheesy cover put you off. She is a FABULOUS dancer and I really like this video. GREAT introduction to Egyptian technique.)

coupled with this, which is pretty much a must-have:

Amazon.com: Bellydance Egyptian Style - The Baladi - 2-DVD Set: Ranya Renee: Movies & TV

(The drills on this one are excellent and will allow you to very quickly make the jump from "doing moves" to "moving and transitioning within the music."

This is a 2-disc set. Sit down and TAKE NOTES on the music section. Seriously. What you learn from that dvd will help you interpret Middle Eastern music in general, for the rest of your dancing career. And DO the drills. Over and over and over again.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all the foundation you need. You can let cymbals, veil, and other props from other dvds later. You can get more specifically focused dvds on special topics and "problem areas" of the body. But these two recommendations are your entire first year's course, (maybe more!) packaged and ready for you. :)

BTW - both Leila's and Ranya's dvds cover posture and alignment as well as breathing techniques.

There are things on Ranya's dvd that will be challenging for you, and you may want to skip using those movements at first (her "Jewel" variations, especially.) Just keep the flow. That dvd set is going to last you a LONG time.

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyLoba

Thanks! ...

Posture...I could sure use that...not only for dance, but my posture overall could do with some improvement....I was always a...busty is the nice word...girl...and early...and so I did that embarrassed pre-teen hiding thing that became a lifelong habit.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
There are several threads about instructional DVDs. Just search the forum via the search facility, and you are sure to find info regarding beginner DVDs:D
~Mosaic

LadyLoba

LOL....OK...Ill show em! Though really, too bad I can't trade them for B cups, get the money, and spend it on my new belly dance fixation....

Ariadne

Um, Neither? lol.

Try:
Amazon.com: Belly Dance For Beginners: Leila, Michael Wohl: Movies & TV

(don't let the cheesy cover put you off. She is a FABULOUS dancer and I really like this video. GREAT introduction to Egyptian technique.)

coupled with this, which is pretty much a must-have:

Amazon.com: Bellydance Egyptian Style - The Baladi - 2-DVD Set: Ranya Renee: Movies & TV
Great video from everything I have been told but... LadyLoba said she was interested in Tribal/Fusion style and those are very Egyptian.

Personally I would wait until she knows enough about the different styles to decide. There are some very big differences between Egyptian, Turkish, American Oriental, and Tribal let alone the Tribal Fusion style. Once she decides that I imagine it would effect what kind of beginner DVD she wants as well.

LadyLoba

Don't Listen to La Loba

That's OK...don't listen to "La Loba" when it comes to belly dance styles...I don't really know what I'm talking about.....I am going on what my understanding of it was...but my understanding wasn't that clear until I read a lot of other posts on here....I watched some Tribal/Fusion clips today on YouTube...and some other belly dance videos and I think I mis-spoke.

I just might love Egyptian....the only other style I think...if Im understanding correctly....that I might really go for is the modern American...style.

Yame

Great video from everything I have been told but... LadyLoba said she was interested in Tribal/Fusion style and those are very Egyptian.

Personally I would wait until she knows enough about the different styles to decide. There are some very big differences between Egyptian, Turkish, American Oriental, and Tribal let alone the Tribal Fusion style. Once she decides that I imagine it would effect what kind of beginner DVD she wants as well.

I disagree. Most people decide while they're learning... and for beginner moves, it doesn't necessarily affect the learning curve. I certainly wouldn't have sat around waiting to find out what style peaks my interest before I started.

In my case, I started learning with youtube tutorials and Rachel Brice's Drills and Yoga DVD. For a while in fact, I think Rachel's was the only DVD I owned. Once I found a teacher she was also tribal style (but a style that was closer to ATS than tribal fusion). So my primary sources for the basic moves were tribal style when I was starting out.

At that time, I actually thought I wanted to do tribal, but slowly I started becoming more interested in Oriental. When I found an Egyptian style teacher, I had very few changes to make because at that point I had only learned basic moves, and the basic moves are similar enough. I just had to get used to holding my arms with less obvious tension and to bending my knees less.

So I think that the most important thing when it comes to learning basic moves is that the source can really break down the move, explain it well, and do it the same way on both sides so that the person learning won't develop bad habits, asymmetry, bad technique, or injure themselves. Any stylization at this level is minor and very easy to fix.

Farasha Hanem

I think, though, that most styles of bellydance use a lot of the same foundation or basic moves, so learning the basics is the best jump-off point to many styles, including the ones listed. :)

EDIT: *comes back in after being on the hunt* BAZINGA! :D There are a number of threads about instructional DVDs, but this is the one I had in mind:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

Hope that helps! ^^

Last edited:

Ariadne

I just might love Egyptian....the only other style I think...if Im understanding correctly....that I might really go for is the modern American...style.

:lol: Fair enough. If Egyptian interests you then Rayna Renee's video is a great one and one I want myself even though Egyptian doesn't really interest me BUT it is not a beginner video by a long shot. If you do try it don't let yourself get discouraged please.

For Modern American Oriental style personally I like Neon's DVD's but that is my personal bias and I admit it wholly.

lizaj

That's OK...don't listen to "La Loba" when it comes to belly dance styles...I don't really know what I'm talking about.....I am going on what my understanding of it was...but my understanding wasn't that clear until I read a lot of other posts on here....I watched some Tribal/Fusion clips today on YouTube...and some other belly dance videos and I think I mis-spoke.

Even if you decde to dance Tribal Fusion eventually, it will never do any harm to learn good Egyptian belly dance technique. Starting as some kind of Fusion dancer is a nonsense sadly and I wouldn't recommend starting with any Fusion DVD however good the dancer.
Of US DVDS I quite like the beginner series put out by IAMED with Paulina. Here in the UK, I like Galit Mersand's.

LadyLoba

Appreciate all the help!

I read a lot of posts on the older thread and all of this thread...I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

I'm liking belly dance the way I like to read...so I'll probably get as many of these as I can possibly afford...just like I do with books. I will definitely look into Neon.

If I buy some that are too difficult for me...I figure I can always save them. Then when I improve I can use them for "intermediate" work...or...if I can get a class by then....they can always be my supplemental at home DVDs if it's OK with my teacher.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oh yeah -- there's nothing like getting a video that's too hard, putting it away for a few months (or years) and then getting it out again and thinking "oh this is easy!" I love to measure my progress by dvds that I "outgrow." :)