Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the lovely ladies above me already said!

You should really see it as a compliment that your teacher want to take the time and effort to correct you! She probably isn`t doing it with 'look at me'because that would just be a waste of breath.
    I also get 'picked out'because I am the least experienced and fluent in my class. Yes I sometimes feel akward with the attention, but she does make me a better dancer because she knows I want to learn! We had a little 'look at me'girl in the beginner class last year who sort of demanded a big role in our show. She wasn`t good to say the least, the teacher tried to pose some suggestions but the girl just ignored her, So eventually she didn`t get corrected that much anymore and the girl did succeed in the 'look at me'. Sadly not in the way she prolly wanted though... Luckily for us she just got some small parts!

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel that the teacher's advice isn't constructive enough then make sure you ask back to get her to explain in detail what you are doing wrong and how it should be.
    You pay for these lessons and should be getting more than just "I see you feel awkward" or "you are stepping too wide". If she says something like that and nothing more then ask f ex: "Could you stand next to me and show me how wide I should be stepping?" "Like this or feet a bit closer together?" Just ask away. You will probably improve faster and feel very successful when you get the move down. And you teacher might even begin to critique more in detail from the start, since you always ask anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember when I was dancing ballet, and we got a new coach from the (then) Soviet Union. He watched the barre and gave everyone small adjustments or corrections -- except me. I cried the entire drive home. In ballet, if they're not yelling at you, they're not looking at you and you have made zero impression.

As an instructor, I "pick" at the students who show the most potential to grow and learn from my correction. I have had students like your classmate, and they are too absorbed in their own world to respond to correction, so after a while I just stop giving it. If your instructor is anything like me, she is actually seeing you as more dedicated than your classmate, and is therefore trying to make you a better dancer.

OR she could be a crazy beeaaatch, picking on you cause she doesn't like you -- but the odds against that are pretty high

Re the complexity in class -- I often throw much harder stuff at my beginners just to see what "sticks." It also takes them out of their comfort zone and prevents their brains from taking over what their bodies should be doing.

Suhaila teaches her classes like this -- just when you have a combination or a step series, she adds something else to it that throws you off again. It forces you to "think" with your body, and not be too analytical about what's happening. I'm a better dancer after a class like that -- one, because I've just immersed myself in something that I would have thought was too hard, and two, I'm "out of my brain" and FEELING the movement instead of thinking about it.

But I understand the frustration. Do talk to your instructor, as everyone recommends. But know also there might be a method to the madness

Post Thanks / Like

I think the highest insult a teacher can give you is not to correct you at all but to completely ignore you because then that means she doesn't care. But I would ask her after class if she could demonstrate to you more of what she means. I've had teachers literally come over to me to show me exactly what I need to do to get it right. However, if she won't do this, then since you are not clear what she wants from you, again, you may have to find another teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ulele,

QUOTE=Ulele;166585]hi,

well, i've been taking beginner belly dance classes at a location about thirty minutes out of town from me for a little over a month now. all was fine for the first few classes when we eased into everything slowly and i found it pretty comfortable to learn. however, the last few weeks have been not so pleasant for me. my classmate, whom i have nothing against, seems to always be vying for the teacher's attention. sometimes the class will be put on hold just so the teacher and this particular student can talk to each other with me just standing there, and i find it unnerving.[/QUOTE]

Are you the only other student? That would bug me, too, unless you were also receiving the same one on one instruction. Sometimes in class when a student needs one on one I just take the time to drill what we have just been learning. Also, I freely ask for one on one instruction myself if i am struggling to understand a move. Perhaps by asking questions you can get your fair share of her attention.

Regarding keeping up. I always struggle to remember chories. I have no dance backgroun prior to this and have a crap memory. I have learned to :

- always take notes in class - these are very scrawled so I write them out neatly when I get home which helps me to reinforce the moves.

- I give catchy names to sets of moves in the Chorie e.g. opening-washing machine -Leannes moves-disco-circles-slinky-hip hop-ending. They would only make sense to me but they help me remember.

- I always revise any new moves or parts of chorie as soon as I get home from class before I go to bed. Somehow it helps to revise that same day in another place and also if I do it before bed I go to sleep thinking about the moves. Sometimes I will only do it in my head.

- Once the chorie is complete I film it in class so that I can review it. I film it from behind so I can have the same perspective as in class and try to do it with a mirror so I get the front and back view of my teacher.

-I practice, practice, practice every day. This means I can keep up in class - without lots of practice I flounder. It also means I can get the best value from my classes and avoid that terrible feeling of being behind the group. Some of my classsmates aren't very serious about dancing and only do it for fun or exercise and they don't practice much or at all - it shows and they quickly fall behind those that put the work in.

- I try to never miss a class. If I don't feel up to dancing I will still (unless sick in bed or contagious) attend the class and sit and watch and take notes.

- I ask any question even if it seems dumb.

- I ask other students how they execute moves - I have struggled with some moves until another student has described it for me.

I love being corrected. It's how I get better. Just now I notice I am not really being corrected. I am uncertain if it is because my teacher feels it will come to me with time, because I am doing them correctly (not likely) or because there are other people needing her attention more.

I would let your teacher know you are struggling. Perhaps she can slow things down or offer you a private lesson to catch you up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default yeah, i still don't know what to do...

^yes, i am the only other student as of right now. and i finally mentioned something about it. i'm not trying to bash her or anything, but i really just don't get it.

response:
    "you are doing really good.... Don't lose motivation. It usually takes a while to get fluid in your motions. DO NOT compair your self to ****. She is an exception at how fast she is learning. I think with you I would suggest counting more. I notice that you do know how to do the moves, just seems like you are having a hard time getting them on beat. This is not a big deal, just something to work on.

-I don't get what that sentence is supposed to mean, but okay.
    -She asked me before if I was a 'counter' and I said "no". She said that was fine, that some people just weren't.

If there is something i can do to help you feel more motivated let me know. I tend not to make ppl the center of attention unless they perfer to be center of attention, kind of like ****. I always saw you as shy and didn't want to be singled out. If you want me to give you more one on one i can do that too. I just don't want to make you uncomfortable.

-Then, why was I 'singled out' and told that i looked 'awkward' and was doing things 'incorrectly'?

I definately see some great potential in you. It won't be long and you could definately perform with us if you wanted to. (((hugs))) and please let me know how I can help you. Call if you like or we can chat on here or in class. I am here."

-The other beginner got invited to perform with her advanced class and I did not. Not really sure what to think about that. They just talked about the 'event' and how she'd be put in the back if she were to get nervous amongst themselves with me just standing there like "...uhhh."

Me:
    "I really don't know if I'm going to continue or not.

But either way, thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted."

Her:
    "ok.. thanks"
    Last edited by Ulele; 11-14-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to judge what's going on without having actually been there. From what you've described, it does seem like the teacher is playing favorites, but I can't jump to that conclusion without hearing all sides of the story and witnessing the accounts.

From your description, it seems entirely possible--whether or not she is playing favorites with that one student--that you could be having trouble picking up the choreography when others in your class aren't, and perhaps that is why she isn't asking you to perform. Again, I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Either way, if the situation doesn't feel right to you then don't stick around. Try to find another teacher, if possible. I've stuck around with a teacher that didn't sit right with me for way too long and eventually it just became a waste of money. Don't let this dance become a source of stress for you when it shouldn't be.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait---is your teacher teaching choreo in a beginner's class? How long have you been in her class, and how soon did she start teaching choreo? Students should be working on getting the basic moves down before moving on to learning dance routines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Wait---is your teacher teaching choreo in a beginner's class? How long have you been in her class, and how soon did she start teaching choreo? Students should be working on getting the basic moves down before moving on to learning dance routines.
    yes, she is teaching us choreography in a beginner's class. i've been in her class for about two months and she started teaching us choreography after about four classes.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Ulele View Post
    yes, she is teaching us choreography in a beginner's class. i've been in her class for about two months and she started teaching us choreography after about four classes.
    oO!! FOUR classes?!? Good Lordy, four classes isn't even enough time to get basic moves down into your muscle memory! Our beginner class with my first teacher didn't even work on choreo until towards the end of the first year, and it was a super-simple choreo, at that. A student needs time to really get down those basic moves, because they're the foundation upon which dancing is built, whether it's choreography or improv. Four classes is way, way too soon to start learning routines, IMNSHO.

I'm sorry if I seemed a bit blunt, Ulele, but I don't think your teacher is doing you or her other students justice. I've heard of teachers that try to rush their students into performing as soon as possible, and it's something I don't understand. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with student performances. However, rushing baby students (what does Zorba affectionately call them? chickadees?) into performing too soon will affect the quality of their dancing. A good teacher cares about that, and works to help her students perfect their technique. No wonder why you have so many doubts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast