Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The right posture*sigh*

After 2,5 years of dancing I discovered my posture isn`t correct. I always thought I sort of had to make a straight line from neck to talebone. Which made some moves rather difficult(doh!) So my teacher corrected me last week, for which I am greatfull because I do notice this is working better.

But it does frustrate me a bit because it seems I have to start all over again. I can`t remember her saying something particular about my posture before, only in general that we had to keep our backs straight. But now I realize the other girls go the other way around then I do so it was sound advice for the group as an whole. Just wish she would have picked me out earlier!

Post Thanks / Like

It would've been nice to have known much earlier but I think you will be able to relearn much faster. After all, you already know the moves and you will adapt pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    It would've been nice to have known much earlier but I think you will be able to relearn much faster. After all, you already know the moves and you will adapt pretty fast.
    My thoughts exactly. But, in the concept of how the class is, I do understand. It did make me(finally) want to take some outside workshops, the more pointers the better!
    I am truely amazed, but you are right!(not being amazed about you being right, but about my adaptation) I still sometimes get back in the old posture but when I pay attention its going pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

There apparently is a growing debate on what is proper posture now. I've heard from a few that argue that the pelvic tuck is not necessary and does not really help any at all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

What is considered the correct posture? I just assumed it was keeping your shoulders back...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    There apparently is a growing debate on what is proper posture now. I've heard from a few that argue that the pelvic tuck is not necessary and does not really help any at all.
    I was taught the pelvic tuck too. It's better for your back. What other posture are you aware of? This is news to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    What is considered the correct posture? I just assumed it was keeping your shoulders back...
    From what I've learned, from video and from a pro belly dancer I know online, chest is lifted, pelvis is tucked and the bellybutton comes in slightly when you are doing it correctly. I had some major back pain when I first started and I asked my friend Damiena why... I'd never had back pain before when dancing to "Shimmy". She gave me a nice explanation on posture and properly warming up my muscles and my back pain stopped. Now I'm having shoulder issues and I'm thinking I am executing some move incorrectly or too emphatically when I dance. Incorrect posture does hurt! I was on my back for a few days when I first started because of my posture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly Love View Post
    • Shoulders relaxed and down
    • Chest lifted
    • Neutral pelvis (not "tucked)"
    • Soft knees
    • Body not leaning back or forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    News to me. I learned to tuck and I teach to tuck and have found that lack of a tuck leads to problems with a wide variety of movements. To each her own, but I don't believe I'll blow off 35 years of experience to adapt a new fashion in belly dance posture.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    I was taught the pelvic tuck too. It's better for your back. What other posture are you aware of? This is news to me.
    Shoulders back, chest out but with no pelvic tuck at all. Bent knees.

I still prefer to dance with the pelvic tuck as I can feel the decrease of pressure on my spine when dancing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast